Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:50 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

I once got a phone message from someone asking why their project documents were taking so long to be finalized. They were with our legal department for review, and I had been waiting for them for two weeks.

I sent an email to the woman who'd phoned me saying so, but adding that this particular lawyer is always very slow with getting back to us with his comments, even though I always followed up several times.

But I mistakenly sent the email to the woman's husband, who also worked for the same agency and whose name appeared just above hers in Outlook. HE took it upon himself to forward to his wife, but he also sent it directly to the lawyer who I was trashing in the email.

I got a rebuke from the chief contract lawyer saying he will not have any of his attorneys disparaged like that. He was very angry, and he was a nice man who I liked a lot. I also really liked the guy I had trashed. He was just so slow to respond all the time.

I wrote emails of apology to both lawyers, then skulked into my boss's office and told him I eff'd up, just in case he heard it from the lawyers.

To this day I don't know why the guy who mistakenly got the email had to be such a dick that he sent it to the lawyer, but in the end it was all good. The next time I saw the guy whom I had trashed in the email, he smiled and said hello and never mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
I received a text last June from somebody that was trying to touch base with a girl he possibly hooked up with during the Memorial Day Weekend. I ignored the first text. About 3 weeks later, I got a few more. The text was fairly explicit, so I feel confident I made the right guess about the hook up.

I replied that I'm pregnant and hadn't been with another guy since March. As a guy myself, I think that would sufficiently scare me. He replied back something about being a skank(?) and that he was the "rubba masta" and "my boys didn't fly off into your dirty something something hole."

I think I saved some girl a world of trouble. Maybe...

Years ago, I was at work late one night and left my desk to use the restroom. I came back to a voicemail so I checked it. It was some lady screaming for help because she fell down the stairs and broke her leg. Judging from the contents of the voicemail, it sounded like it happened at her office. It wasn't a number I recognized. And near the end of her voicemail her voice sort of drifted off. Maybe she passed out? I don't know. But she was saying "Charlie, you better get your ass over here and help me out!"

I tried calling back and there was no answer, it went to voicemail. This was early enough in the "cell phone era" where if someone had your area code, they likely still lived there. I called 911 and gave them the number, but there really wasn't anything they could do. I never learned what happened. I didn't hear of anybody tragically dying an office stairwell in the news, so maybe someone found her and helped her.

I did leave a voicemail to her saying that she "didn't reach Charlie, she reached some stranger, so don't go too hard on Charlie for not coming."

Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Post #12 --- That was very thoughtful of you to do all you could to help.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I have had a few incidents where I sent an email to the wrong address. Some bounced back but, not others. The few times I had issues was, for example, I was sending something to someone with a common name. For example "Mary Smith". I would put "Mary Smith" @ xxxx, then realize that I should have put "Mary Smith2". Recently, I had something similar happen. Someone that I discovered was a long lost relative who wanted to know family history. She has a common name similar to example above. I sent along the info but failed to notice that she had a number after her name. Oops! So someone who doesn't know me got the email and is probably all confused right now. I then passed the info along to the correct person.

Once a friend gave me her email but forgot to add the number that she uses with her name. When I told her the email I sent her bounced back, she apologized for the mistake.

OTOH, my husband has a common name. Years ago, he got an email address before anyone else took it, so he didn't need to add a number to his name. He has since gotten emails meant for other people with the name.

I'd like to hear your stories.
Yes.

Fortunately, I didn't write anything incriminating.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 PM

834 posts, read 744,045 times
Once I sent an invoice to the employee (for his time) instead of to the company.

I meant to type his name in the subject line, which I did after the email and invoices were complete to prevent errors, but it went on the recipient too and somehow I hit enter by a nervous mistake. I was under a lot of pressure and going too fast.

I rescinded it immediately and he never got it as confirmed by phone, but I told my boss and was fired the next day. I had been there nearly a year and was in my last trimester of pregnancy, with no write ups or mistakes. They told me it was because of that and the pregnancy, thankfully I got unemployment, but I've been a stay at home mom ever since...it was a confidence blowing experience.

*Eta, I was only 20. I still get anxiety when sending emails.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yes.

Fortunately, I didn't write anything incriminating.
When I sent the email with family history, the vast majority of those I discussed were dead. Of the few living people, what I wrote was innocuous. My husband told me not to worry about it. Still...I really hate making such mistakes

Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
I'm mistakenly on two mundane mailing lists for apparently unrelated people with the same first initial and last name. I've never bothered to do anything about it and rarely click on the messages.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
This hasn't happened in awhile, but.......my Hotmail address is/was very close to that of someone who is Spanish-speaking, and works in the behavioral health field, apparently with children who are either developmentally disabled or autistic.

It would happen every so often that I'd be sent documents regarding a particular students medical issues, or an IEP plan, and I'd respond with letting that person know they were sending things to the wrong e-mail address. (I never opened the documents, but I understand enough Spanish to understand what the e-mail message said)

Anyhow, I had to block one behavioral health service company's e-mail address, because they had me on some e-mail list about a particular student, I wrote to them several times telling me that they were sending stuff to the wrong person, and they would NOT take me off their list.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Somehow my work email address was added to the email list that included trustees and the president of my company. I received an email with some sensitive information so I wrote to the original sender and pointed out that he had included me on these emails and he should delete my address. He emailed back to thank me and took my email off the email chain.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Just had a text go to a neighbor instead of the family member it was meant for. Not good. Pretty much let the neighbor in on a family secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships