Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM

25,220 posts, read 11,611,470 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I were born a year and two days apart. Parties in January/February in a rather cold country face considerable space constraints. Out mutual B-Day party was for a long time the middle day in August. BBQ, sun, fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 03:43 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,814,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Along the same vein:
My SILs and BILs (3 different families) started having 6 month birthday parties for all their kids...as in a 6 year party followed by a 6 1/2 year party followed by the 7th birthday party. Between them they had 11 kids!!! It was not only ridiculous but expensive for us (and we have no kids).

Anyone have this happening?
That’s ridiculous, half birthdays!?!

At any rate, OP no one is making you go. If you don’t like the situation don’t go! Or go and just give a card. If you don’t have the money for s gift I would think they would understand!

Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,380,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
The kids have birthdays with their mother's side of the family, who live closer to them. I just don't see the need for a "birthday party" when there's no birthday. They should know you don't turn the same age twice in one year, nor do you go up two years in the same year. Additionally, these kids never act excited to be at this "fun place". They sit quietly at the table and don't even ask to play. Might as well be at another restaurant that the adults would enjoy.
So....Make plans to host another get together while they are visiting at another restaurant.

Otherwise, to me you sound like you're just being crabby.

They are trying to have a get together for their children while they can with relatives they don't often see.

And, no you don't want to tell them what you've shared here, how could it not hurt their feelings. But, if you don't want to participate....then don't.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM

16,470 posts, read 12,716,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They are trying to have a get together for their children while they can with relatives they don't often see.
That can be done without it being a false birthday party / gift grab.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,642,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I knew someone who had 2 b-day parties for their child every year. One for friends, the other for family. It was excessive and teaching the child that everything revolves around him. Just my opinion. I know adults who can't let go of their birthday entitlement; perhaps it stems from childhood.
yes, isn't this the truth, pertaining to adults and birthdays!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,338,426 times
Quote:
The kids have birthdays with their mother's side of the family, who live closer to them. I just don't see the need for a "birthday party" when there's no birthday. They should know you don't turn the same age twice in one year, nor do you go up two years in the same year. Additionally, these kids never act excited to be at this "fun place". They sit quietly at the table and don't even ask to play. Might as well be at another restaurant that the adults would enjoy.
You don't think they know that? Ever since we moved away from family, the grand parents have wanted to acknowledge the kids' birthdays when they visit. It is usually within a few weeks of each of their birthdays. If they are in town for one and not the other, we celebrate both. I assure you that neither of my kids ever thought they actually had 2 birthdays in 1 year.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,400,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

BTW, why does this bother you so much? Why would a four, five and six year old "know" that he only gets one birthday celebration per year? Are the parents paying for the pizza and drinks or does everyone pay for their own? Do you just think that it is a "gift grab" by the parents? Do they give birthday gifts to their children's cousins?

^^^
Yep, the real question here is - what is your problem?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm stuck on that too, and want to know more.

Is the one they do this for kind of friendless? So they do what they can to surround him with support and love? Is it likely he doesn't get much affirmation in general?

It's just so curious to me that they do this for the one child, and not for the other.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Huh????? No it doesn't! Some people have parties on another day, a weekend etc...Kids know their real birthday.

"They should know you don't get older by two years..." You've said this twice now....Bizarre. Again, kids know how old they are.

It's clear you don't like this family so just don't go.
and this.

Are there other kids in the family that come to these parties? In my case (above) my 2 kids are the only ones involved, and it is the grand parents' idea, and they are the only "guests." It does seem kind of weird to single out 1 kid and not the other when it isn't anyone's birthday.

I don't understand your worry about the kid not knowing how old he is or thinking he's actually having a birthday when he's not. that's just weird. A lot of people celebrate multiple times or not on the actual day.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 PM

9,448 posts, read 7,098,293 times
Quote:
What do you think of this situation? Family members (parents w/two kids) come into town from cross country once a year. They invite relatives to a pizza playground for a birthday party for their son when it's not his birthday. They have done this two months earlier than his birthday and three months later than his birthday. This year he will be six and old enough to know he only gets one birthday a year. It seems silly and a big charade to have people bring gifts and sing Happy Birthday to a lit birthday cake when it's not even close to his birthday! I could see if it was within two weeks, but not two or three months! The pizza is terrible and the other kids are noisy and annoying (understandably in a place like that). Our place is too small for visitors. We want to see the family but don't want to participate in the phony birthday party. What's a nice way to tell them?
When the kids birthday falls on a Tuesday and everybody is available to go to the waterpark on Saturday.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 AM

729 posts, read 569,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
^^^
Yep, the real question here is - what is your problem?
I've been out of work for six months.

The pizza sucks.

The place is too noisy.

And it's the principle that the whole thing is a charade because it's not even near his birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships