Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,140,734 times

Advertisements

I'll tell a sad story, to put OP's feelings in perspective.

When I was getting married to my second husband, there were 2 couples I invited, that I considered good friends. As the date was getting closer and closer, neither of them RSVP'd me, so I called them. One couple, I never was able to talk to them personally, but I left a voicemail, asking if they were planning on coming, and could they let me know. Never heard a peep from them.

The other couple, I WAS able to contact them and I asked if they planned to come. They said yes, and I conveyed how much I was looking forward to seeing them. I counted them as "yeses" for the reception dinner.

They didn't come.

A few years go by, and I sign up for Facebook. One of the first persons who asks to be friends is the wife of the couple who said they'd come to my wedding. I accept the friend request, and I asked her what happened...I was looking forward to seeing them at my wedding.

And this is what she wrote back, and I quote; "Oh...we got busy, and the day just got away from us."

Ouch.

We're not friends of any kind anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,020,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Earlier, I had dinner with some friends I've been trying to get together for weeks. (Everyone's been sick, so it's been tough to find a good night.) We all agreed via email three days earlier about the where and when. Unfortunately, one person had to cancel last minute, but four of us met and had a nice time, but one thing caught my attention and rubbed me the wrong way.

At one point, one guy (who was there with his girlfriend) mentioned the absent friend who had texted everyone her regrets earlier. He claimed, very casually, that until that moment, "we totally forgot about this." Apparently, if not for that text they'd have gone to the girlfriend's house to eat with a house guest.

What the heck? How do you make plans for three days later and totally forget about it? And why on earth would you casually admit this to your friends? I'd be ashamed of myself.

I know some will suggest that these people "aren't really my friends," but we always have an enjoyable time when we meet and they always seem interested in my life and very grateful for my invites, so I don't think that's it. I just don't get people sometimes.

The problem is that too many people nowadays use their phones to keep them in check which I think is sad.The old fashioned calendar where you can hang it up on your wall and mark dates that are important is the best way to go in my opinion.I really don't see how one could forget if you had sent them an e-mail a few days prior BUT I tell you, have a calendar with a date marked so you will not forget works every time.
Also I'm sure if I'm not mistaken,,,one can set an alarm or something to remind you of a certain meeting or date...correct on your phone?I guess they didn't put that date in their phones to remind them later hence they forgot.
But hey these things happen but you would think what with all this technology stuff..it would happen less..

Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 814,985 times
Quote:
Earlier, I had dinner with some friends I've been trying to get together for weeks. (Everyone's been sick, so it's been tough to find a good night.) We all agreed via email three days earlier about the where and when. Unfortunately, one person had to cancel last minute, but four of us met and had a nice time, but one thing caught my attention and rubbed me the wrong way.

At one point, one guy (who was there with his girlfriend) mentioned the absent friend who had texted everyone her regrets earlier. He claimed, very casually, that until that moment, "we totally forgot about this." Apparently, if not for that text they'd have gone to the girlfriend's house to eat with a house guest.

What the heck? How do you make plans for three days later and totally forget about it? And why on earth would you casually admit this to your friends? I'd be ashamed of myself.

I know some will suggest that these people "aren't really my friends," but we always have an enjoyable time when we meet and they always seem interested in my life and very grateful for my invites, so I don't think that's it. I just don't get people sometimes.
Oh, lighten up. I would not have given this a second thought. I've had many cases like that where I was absolutely excited about something, only to forget it and then be reminded last minute.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM

16,470 posts, read 12,716,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
The problem is that too many people nowadays use their phones to keep them in check which I think is sad.The old fashioned calendar where you can hang it up on your wall and mark dates that are important is the best way to go in my opinion.I really don't see how one could forget if you had sent them an e-mail a few days prior BUT I tell you, have a calendar with a date marked so you will not forget works every time.
The problem with the paper calendar is it's not with me when I'm away from home and making appointments and scheduling events. So I have to remember to mark it on the calendar when I get home, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My phone is always within arms reach.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:10 PM

133 posts, read 88,761 times
I actually think it proves they do value your friendship because they still showed up. Yes, in a perfect world everyone writes down dates, appointments, meetings, etc, but sometimes they don't and people forget. It would be more of an issue if they cancelled last minute because something else came along....

Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 19,679,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand this. Don't people have calendars that they use to note down engagements, doc appointments, and other events? Or maybe they only keep their calendars online, so there's not a steady visual presence within their field of vision or on a desk? Or they don't check their online calendar daily?

WTH?!
Sometimes it's even simpler than that....I forget to look at my calendar even though it's right on the fridge at eye level. Its something I look straight at multiple times a day. You get used to something's appearance. If some event has been on it for a while I no longer "see" it unless I am searching for it. Ever wander around your house looking for something that is in plain view? Same thing. Your mind is doing something else. I may have e-calendars on the laptop (or phone if you use that), but unless I set up a "reminder" in email or by some little sound or pop up I can still forget to check the silly thing.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,265,399 times
They probably just got overwhelmed by things in their life that demanded their immediate attention, and the memory of an engagement later on just got crowded out. It can happen to anyone.

I wouldn't read any great meaning into this one incident. Your friends owned up to nearly forgetting about their dinner engagement with you, and they showed up. It doesn't look like there was any deliberate intent to treat you cavalierly or with disrespect.

No good ever comes from seeking offense where none was offered or intended.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM

20,711 posts, read 16,575,304 times
I can easily remember and forget things several times before the actual event! All it means is that you get distracted in the moment - and I'd never mention it to anyone or if I did, expect such a negative reaction as it would just be something funny to everyone.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:58 PM

12,107 posts, read 17,221,040 times
Quote:

I doubt they BOTH forgot. Sometimes people just say things to sound aloof.

Aloof is 'cool' in a way.

Like, "Oh I almost forgot I had a date with that girl." when in reality it's the only date you've had in 4 months and you've been obsessing about it. But nobody tells anybody stuff like that. Except me.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,020,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The problem with the paper calendar is it's not with me when I'm away from home and making appointments and scheduling events. So I have to remember to mark it on the calendar when I get home, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My phone is always within arms reach.

Yes I'm sure their phone was always within arms reach as well yet they almost forgot.Like I also stated I thought that phones have some sort of an alarm you can input to remind you of appts or such.
Also I would think that people would tend to remember easier fun activities with friends to do versus other sorts of appts but everyone is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships