Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:29 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What does that solve? Now you're stuck with your neighbor's trash that the garbage company wouldn't take.

Incidentally, the OP still posts regularly on C-D. Maybe she'll see this thread and update us on how things turned out.
Uh, because now they have nowhere to put next week's garbage? DOH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
That would annoy the hell out of me too. I would politely tell them all to move their bins, or be better about grabbing them back to their driveway. If that doesn't work, do what I did to our neighbor who was doing the same thing: put the bin at their apron, or right in the middle of the driveway. This way, they can't pull in with their car and they have no choice but to drag it out of the way. Once I did that to our neighbor, she got the hint. Even apologized to me about it.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:01 PM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
How do you actually pay for trash in your neighborhood? Are you sure they are actually paying for trash pickup? That would be my concern, if your driveway isn’t the designated pickup area for the area. I’d definitely check for that first and if not, ask them to place the bins outside their own houses because then you might find that you’re paying for everyone. I say this because I have a friend who lives in a nice neighborhood and refuses to pay for trash pickup. He just puts his trash into other people’s receptacles or yards. It’s pretty unbelievable to me that you’d refuse to pay for trash pickup. It doesn’t sound like you are the designated area if only some people are putting the trash in your yard.
Thank You; I never had a clue. I do not know who else gets their garbage bill and sewer bill connected together on the same bill (separate from our water bill) discouraging this from happening.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What does that solve? Now you're stuck with your neighbor's trash that the garbage company wouldn't take.

Incidentally, the OP still posts regularly on C-D. Maybe she'll see this thread and update us on how things turned out.
Here I am.

I never did anything about the garbage cans, except to ask one neighbor to stop putting stuff in mine. The collector didn't come one day, so I got my trash can to take it back to the house, and it was so heavy I could hardly move it. The neighbor later said, "Oh, that must've been those pumpkins and stuff I threw away." He said he wouldn't use my can, any more, and he hasn't.

A new neighbor moved in. He got TWO cans, so then I had 4 cans sitting in the front.

Then the neighbor who was using my can, in addition to his own...he got a second one, when he saw the new neighbor did. So now I have FIVE large garbage bins sitting in front for 2 to 3 days. (Except I roll mine back to my house.)

I have a few times rolled their bins back to their yards, when they were too slow to get their bins.

Oh, well.

(Oh, the guy who used to put stuff in my bin? He's a Sheriff's Deputy. I also saw him dumping waste from his yard cleanup in the new development grounds at the end of the street.)

I decided to let this issue go because I don't want bad relations with the neighbors, and frankly I've had so many issues with the house & getting settled here that this is pretty far down the list.

I have a thing about trash bins, is all. My prior house had the bins in alley in back, so I'm not used to bins in the front. I put my bin out the evening before trash pickup, and I'm pretty good about retrieving it the next day.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Did you check if your town has an ordinance on when garbage can be put out? I ask because my town has a rule that cans not be put out before 6pm the night before pickup. Is there another spot where garbage can be curbed?
I would talk to your new neighbors and see if they can be more accommodating and specifically state that your cans are for your garbage not theirs. I would be extremely nice and hope that this would solve the problem.
Maybe ask advice from the town dpw supervisor or health department. Could it be a health or safety hazard?
If you want to be a jerk you could take the garbage out of your can and dump it on their doorstep but I don't think that will make you any friends.
I'm in a semi-rural burb. No city. Just a parish. No, ordinances just say when you can put them out, and do dictate when you're supposed to retrieve them. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I don't want to be a jerk about it. Making enemies of neighbors isn't my idea of fun.

I do roll their bins back to their houses sometimes, when they don't do it soon enough. If I'm not in a good mood, I'll put them in the middle of their driveway. But usu. I just put them on side of driveway at street.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:57 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I'd be pissed too. I'd be inclined to tape a note to the lids "Please do not put your bin in my driveway. Thank you". They're being very inconsiderate and there's no excuse for putting them in front of your house.
It makes sense. May be previous owner was okay with it so neighbors never gave it a second thought. It’s an inconvenience and annoyance for you so they should find another spot. You can use notes/letters or bake/buy some Pumpkin Pies and discuss it individually with each neighbor for a more neighborly approach.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A new neighbor moved in. He got TWO cans, so then I had 4 cans sitting in the front.
Since even a new neighbor is doing this, have you checked to see if maybe the garbage company has asked that they put their trash cans there? Outerwise, it just seems odd that you would be having issues with a new neighbor putting their trash cans exactly where the previous neighbors did.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm in a semi-rural burb. No city. Just a parish. No, ordinances just say when you can put them out, and do dictate when you're supposed to retrieve them. Stuff like that.

Yeah, I don't want to be a jerk about it. Making enemies of neighbors isn't my idea of fun.

I do roll their bins back to their houses sometimes, when they don't do it soon enough. If I'm not in a good mood, I'll put them in the middle of their driveway. But usu. I just put them on side of driveway at street.
Yes you are the jerk.

Why complain if you are not going to be proactive.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes you are the jerk.

Why complain if you are not going to be proactive.
Calling OP a jerk is kind of over the top, don't you think? Yes, I know she used the word "jerk" herself, but she was saying she didn't want to be one to her neighbors.

Her original post was from two years ago, when she had just moved into the neighborhood. In the past two years she's learned how to get along with her neighbors with minimal drama. No need for you to pile on.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Calling OP a jerk is kind of over the top, don't you think? Yes, I know she used the word "jerk" herself, but she was saying she didn't want to be one to her neighbors.

Her original post was from two years ago, when she had just moved into the neighborhood. In the past two years she's learned how to get along with her neighbors with minimal drama. No need for you to pile on.
Did you see the sarcastic face emoji? OP would not be a "jerk" to tell the neighbors to stop taking advantage and using her space for their trash. How much are we (the ones taken advantage of) supposed to tolerate for the sake of peace with insensitive neighbors who don't care about us anyway.

We enable the bullies when we roll over and do nothing or act passive aggressively instead of dealing with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships