Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 AM

25,215 posts, read 11,611,470 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by "having a big plan on how to give them this gift"?

Mail a cashier's check with best wishes from a friend. No ties attached, no "we did this for you". Sit back and enjoy the BBQ. Bring a case of beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,969,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What do you mean by "having a big plan on how to give them this gift"?

Mail a cashier's check with best wishes from a friend. No ties attached, no "we did this for you". Sit back and enjoy the BBQ. Bring a case of beer.
I had a gag gift and when they opened it they would get the card. But it would be done in private when they open their gifts (I don't think they do that in front of a crowd), I just thought they would get a kick out of it.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,185,091 times
It seems as though your concern could be addressed by inserting your check into a weddng card. Go ahead and give it to them now, when they need it most. You are very kind.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:44 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,140,734 times
If you put the money in a Wedding wishes card...they'll realize it's an early wedding gift.

If it were me getting such a generous gift, I would know that it was a wedding gift from very kind and generous people and say thank you. I would not be expecting future gifts from you, but would be eternally thankful for your generous gesture.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM

11,419 posts, read 7,900,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
In a couple weeks a young couple, very dear to our hearts, is marrying. They aren't family, but we care a lot about them and they are always there to help us out. One is a part time employee for us for the past year+ and always goes above and beyond and has become a close friend. They work hard to make ends meet and aren't frivolous. Their wedding is going to be very basic (a short church wedding followed by a back yard BBQ). But they had a large unexpected bill and had to cancel their (low cost) honeymoon to pay for it.

My husband and I had decided to give them 1k for a wedding gift...which I think is a lot to them (Its a lot to most people, us included but we can part with some savings). But we really wanted to show our appreciation and our best wishes. I felt really good realizing, if they wish, they can take a last minute (frugal) honeymoon.

I was talking to the bride today and she never complains to me about money but today was sharing how stressed she was. Canceling the honeymoon, the photographer, some of the food. And they still are late on rent. I feel like this wedding gift could get them all caught up so that at least they would be able to relax.

Let me reiterate, all included this wedding is well under 1k. They are living in their means, they just had a set back

So I was thinking...maybe I should give them their wedding gift now? I had a big plan on how to give them this gift...but maybe it would be more helpful to give it now. But then I think...maybe if I do that, they will think every time they stress about money, I will give them a gift. So that is should closely be tide with a big event.

I am very generous and many times I have looked like a cash cow to people. I really want to avoid that happening again.

Thoughts?

I'd give them the gift now. That way they can stop stressing and enjoy their wedding. They can always take a honeymoon later, but they will (hopefully) just have one wedding.

And bless you for being so generous!

Old 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,061,177 times
Very nice of you, I'm sure they will be so happy.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:44 PM

4,101 posts, read 11,543,735 times
I would accompany the money with a heartfelt letter of appreciation. I am impressed that they are having a simple wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships