Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM

539 posts, read 567,447 times

Advertisements

Oh. Well then, don't worry. Be friends with her. She was your sister for 10 years after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM

631 posts, read 400,473 times
You can be friends with whomever you want to be friends with. I certainly wouldn't give up a 10 year friendship with his ex and her family just because he doesn't like it.

Maybe he thinks the two of you are badmouthing him when you're together. If that's the case then I'd assure him you have better things to talk about .

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My late uncle was married to his first wife for eight years. They had dated all through high school, got married when he graduated and joined the Navy, they have a daughter. They divorced when their kid was five or six, and she's 42, now. My aunt has always, in the intervening decades, been part of the family.Both she and my uncle went on to remarry. Not everyone is super tight with her, but she's my cousin's mom, and still part of the family.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
You're an adult. You're allowed to be friends with whomever you choose. Your brother has issues. None of which you can fix.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
This is kind of like what my mother told my ex wife right after the divorce. She divorced me. She didn't divorce my mother. My mother told her she was more then welcome to visit any time. Can see that working with you and his ex.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're an adult. You're allowed to be friends with whomever you choose. Your brother has issues. None of which you can fix.
Agree.

OP, can you not mention to your brother about when you see his ex-wife? Just don't bring her up, or tell him you don't want to dicuss with him.

If you don't say when and where or how often you see her, who is to know.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 PM

194 posts, read 306,445 times
My brother's wife had little family of her own. After they divorced (about 20 years) she continued to come to family gatherings. She's very much a part of the family, as are the kids she had before their marriage.

My husband's first wife's family continued to invite him to gatherings, and always included me. We attended birthday parties for her grandmother, and even a family reunion. Everyone was very kind. Of course, it being a small town, our families had all known one another forever ...

I've dined in my first husband's home, and vice versa: with an adult child who was home on leave from military, sometimes that was the only way we could all see him. And we've done it just because it was handy — we all just happen to live in the big city/metropolitan area now.

It's a much more pleasant life to care for one another than to spew venom.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,924,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
This is kind of like what my mother told my ex wife right after the divorce. She divorced me. She didn't divorce my mother. My mother told her she was more then welcome to visit any time. Can see that working with you and his ex.
OK now that's a head scratcher for me. MY husbands ex- wife just assumed she would still be welcome by his family but his mother wasn't having it- her position was she treated her son so badly how could she possibly assume she would still be welcome? She was civil to her of course for the sake of her grandchildren- but "more than welcome to visit any time" ? nupe. But then I'm sure all situations are different.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:01 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
I have my brother's ex wife on my FB list because, in spite of the fact that she left him, she still is the mother of my 2 nephews, so she will be posting photos of them and such.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,684 times
Oh I can't think why they broke up :eye roll:. He sounds like a paranoid control freak who can't stand to see others happy. Give him a wide berth, and honestly, you might want to keep her at arms length too, not because you've done anything wrong but because it sounds like she might have a bit of a screw loose too and you don't need to be dragged into it. If she's a good friend, she'll understand why you don't want to get too involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships