Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times

Advertisements

I think you are experiencing a feeling that tells you this person is not good friend material. Go with your instinct on this.

I am not saying you need to be uncivil to this person. But I don't think you should try for closeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
......negative references to their financial situation, complaining about bills, budget constraints, ranting about unfair treatment at work etc?........
I don't know about red flags, but it would certainly get tiring hearing about their black cloud all the time. I'd just rather not. When you have just met, that is a good time to walk away and not get involved.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,004,989 times
I grew up in Oregon and unfortunately have to go back from time to time for various reasons.

I have been a lot of places but Oregon wins the prize for sad sack victims, hands down. I can sit down with a coffee in a Eugene Starbucks and within 60 seconds someone nearby is telling me their story of chronic calamity. My BIL launches into a long melancholy monologue about how my father didn't treat him right and he should have been left the antique car they were both working on, rather than my father's neighbor. (As if I could actually do something about that!) An off-hand remark to a stranger and they're telling you how much they hate it there and why they can't leave.

I think there is a tendency among the depressed and lonely chronic complainers to expect the listener to offer to fix the problem for them. Nobody needs these people around.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,678,064 times
It's called using discernment and good judgement in determining who you allow into your life, and there's nothing wrong with that! You don't have to be unkind or unfriendly -- but on the other hand, you don't have to subject yourself to a torrent of negativity, either.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,368,862 times
Usually, when a new acquaintance starts rambling about their problems off the bat, it's because their old friends got tired of listening to their drama and not doing anything to make their lives better

Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I grew up in Oregon and unfortunately have to go back from time to time for various reasons.

I have been a lot of places but Oregon wins the prize for sad sack victims, hands down. I can sit down with a coffee in a Eugene Starbucks and within 60 seconds someone nearby is telling me their story of chronic calamity. My BIL launches into a long melancholy monologue about how my father didn't treat him right and he should have been left the antique car they were both working on, rather than my father's neighbor. (As if I could actually do something about that!) An off-hand remark to a stranger and they're telling you how much they hate it there and why they can't leave.

I think there is a tendency among the depressed and lonely chronic complainers to expect the listener to offer to fix the problem for them. Nobody needs these people around.
There are people that don't seem to know that all grown adults have problems. All of us have had bad people treat us wrong or terrible things have happened to us. It's why most conversations shouldn't revolve around problems they have.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Whether or not it is an actual red flag wouldn't matter to me.

I don't like people like that so she wouldn't end up being someone with whom I would hang out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM

13,895 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I'd trust my gut feeling.

Right. If you sense something is off about the person be careful. Personally, I don't mind listening to a good rant but need to be wary of getting sucked into too much drama.

I had a falling out with a fellow after I decided enough was enough. I was tired of the never ending drama and the fact he never followed through on anything. It finally dawned on me the guy (who is retired) has nothing else in his life so bitching about this or that was something to talk about.

We used to work together so it was fun in the beginning. However, after a couple of years I got tired of listening to plans which never went anywhere.

When I told him I couldn't meet him for coffee anymore/stopped responding to his text message he got upset.

This I found surprising because I thought he would understand: I'm not retired and quite busy. But no. So, he started "hoovering"
Sanctuary for the Abused: When Toxic People Start Hoovering

It took a while but he's stopped bothering me and I learned my lesson. Today, I no longer allow myself to get sucked into someone's drama. Too draining.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Especially...ESPECIALLY if they launch into their world of problems when you. just. met. them.

Dude. Those people are seriously effed up.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
Yes. I find people that are constantly negative very draining. Complaining is inevitable, we all do it to a degree at some point with folks we are close to. But those that have nothing but complaints to talk about are too negative, especially if you just met them imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships