Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:23 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,934,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For two months of use? A battery does not wear and tear over two months, neither does a transmission, at least not to the tune of $150-$200.
The OP may or may not have handled the discussion in the best way but I do not think it's unreasonable of her to have expected the aunt to reimburse the cost of the battery. Auntie would have been the one buying it anyway if the timing had been the merest bit different. It really isn't the OP's responsibility to replace an item that should have been, would have been replaced by the owner anyway.
That's like saying if your boss or coworker lent you a car to run an errand and the battery died or the tire blew while you were driving it you are responsible for paying for the repairs yourself, simply for the fact that you were the one driving while it happened.

And for those of you saying OP should have just left the car, really? To let it get towed? Pay for towing it herself? The cost for towing is probably nearly as much as a new battery. I guess she should have just left it and let auntie worry about paying to get the car out of impound, yes?
You are right it is not her responsibility, and that is the reason she should not have done the repairs, because it is not her car. In your example would you have repaired your boss's car or called your boss? She handled the discussion and repair poorly, good life lesson do not repair or fix things that do not belong to you, without first contacting the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,516,737 times
If I were the aunt, I would have offered to reimburse. And if I were the niece I would have insisted on paying it myself as a thank you for letting me use the car. Both are good manners. Neither party in this situation seems to have any.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
OP I feel for you. However you should have approached the owner of the car before paying money out of pocket. It's understandable it is tight on your budget. How else would you have gotten to work? Run errands?

Old 12-20-2016, 01:39 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
That is stretching, OP says Auntie was out of state and offered to loan the car temporarily. Perhaps she didn't intend to resume using the car when she returned but it doesn't really sound like it. Again the alternative would be what, to just leave it sitting wherever?
It's not a stretch, and you have no way of knowing her intentions. The alternative (really the only acceptable option) is to call the aunt and say "the car has died at [insert location]. I can't afford to have it towed or replace the battery. What would you like me to do?"

Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So, in effect, she would do exactly what the OP did to her own car. Yet, the auntie is justified and the OP is not?

Get out of here.
They are both justified in doing with THEIR OWN vehicles what they wish. It was not up to the OP what to do with the aunt's car.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,819,596 times
Quote:
That is stretching, OP says Auntie was out of state and offered to loan the car temporarily. Perhaps she didn't intend to resume using the car when she returned but it doesn't really sound like it. Again the alternative would be what, to just leave it sitting wherever?
My parents have a 'Utah Car' - they're out of the state for months at a time (they only come here to visit relatives). They had a car that, when the battery went kaput and it was leaking oil (and it was really old), they decided to not fix it, and instead donate it for the tax break. It wasn't worth what it would cost to fix. They still came back to the state - they just rented a car until they found another car worth buying.

So yea, it's very possible that someone who goes out of town for months at a time, and has a car that needs a major repair like possibly a new transmission, would have chosen to not put any money into it.

Also, the OP wouldn't have been leaving the car wherever - she could have called the aunt, told her that the car wouldn't start and seemed to be leaking transmission fluid, and told her where the car was. The aunt's insurance would have likely paid for the tow (for free) to wherever she wanted it to go - whether that was her driveway, or to a shop, or wherever else she wanted.

Bottom line: The OP got a deal. A cheap replacement battery and some transmission fluid in exchange for two months use of a car. Additionally, the OP should not have made any repairs without checking with the aunt.

The OP made the repairs because she wanted to continue using the car, not because she was doing the aunt a favor.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 12-20-2016 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,673,296 times
Well, everyone else is piling on, so add my vote to the ones who are calling you ungrateful and whiney. What you paid was NOTHING compared to acquiring a rental car. Suck it up, buttercup.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,093,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
My parents have a 'Utah Car' - they're out of the state for months at a time (they only come here to visit relatives). They had a car that, when the battery went kaput and it was leaking oil (and it was really old), they decided to not fix it, and instead donate it for the tax break. It wasn't worth what it would cost to fix. They still came back to the state - they just rented a car until they found another car worth buying.

So yea, it's very possible that someone who goes out of town for months at a time, and has a car that needs a major repair like possibly a new transmission, would have chosen to not put any money into it.

Also, the OP wouldn't have been leaving the car wherever - she could have called the aunt, told her that the car wouldn't start and seemed to be leaking transmission fluid, and told her where the car was. The aunt's insurance would have likely paid for the tow (for free) to wherever she wanted it to go - whether that was her driveway, or to a shop, or wherever else she wanted.

Bottom line: The OP got a deal. A cheap replacement battery and some transmission fluid in exchange for two months use of a car. Additionally, the OP should not have made any repairs without checking with the aunt.

The OP made the repairs because she wanted to continue using the car, not because she was doing the aunt a favor.
I think the last line of this post is the crux of the matter. The OP wanted to continue using the car. Basically she wanted to have her cake and eat it too.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:40 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,702,183 times
Is this thread for real ?????? What responsible, normal person would even have to ask if they should cover the cost of a very minor repair to a car they had in their possession (free of charge !) for two whole months ? This is why people never loan tools or cars to others, because they get burned for trying to do something nice for someone else.

OP, think about what you have posted. How many miles did you put on that car in the two months? How nice was it to have it there to use when you needed it ? How much wear and tear did you put on it.....tires, drivetrain, engine, etc ? For you to even entertain the idea that she should pay ANY money is one of the most thoughtless, petty things I have ever seen from anyone. You should be ashamed !

I hope the nice lady who did you this favor learned her lesson and never helps you out again. How low can a person go to even think this is somehow ok ? Time for you to grow up and stop taking advantage of others, regardless of your finances. A good person would never do what you are asking.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Perhaps OP you can deduct those costs when you pay her $45 per day plus taxes for the two months you used her car.
LOL, so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ya know, for some people there are simply no answers. This is probably one of the most self centered, entitled posts I have seen on here, and there have been some winners.

The person who did you that great favor brings to mind an old saying. No good deed goes unpunished.

Wow, just wow.
This one really does take the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Ridiculous. Your relative did you a big favor, and this is how you show your gratitude? Did it ever occur to you that besides what posters upthread have mentioned, your relative was taking a personal risk in letting you drive her car?

If you had gotten into an at-fault accident, especially one where a person (or multiple people) were injured or killed, she could very well end up getting sued if damages exceeded her insurance coverage. I wonder if you are even aware of that. Then again, maybe you don't care, since you didn't get in an accident. The point is that you could have, and she not only provided you with transportation, but put her insurance -and the possibility of ending up with personal liability for an accident- on the line. Yet here you are complaining about paying for some minor maintenance.
Probably not on the bolded parts. I believe the OP said this was her aunt? The aunt was gone for a few months so she must travel or maybe splits her time between two homes? Anyway if the OP had gotten into as you said an at-fault accident anything auntie has is now at risk, including her home.

My late father told me "never borrow anyone's car".

OP, you take her to court and you may cause a rift in the family the doesn't go away, if this is your aunt than it's your mom or dad's sister. You don't cause drama over something like this.

This really falls under "no good deed goes unpunished".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships