Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Guess a big issue in my life is communication. I don't know I felt things between my mom and I were improving, but she seems depressed money issues don't help her much. Mom continues to drink and smoke more while trying to be healthy during the day. We can't even be in the same room together. We barely talk.

My dad tries to talk to me, but our relationship has been distant for some time.

I don't know what to do. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
You might ask your mom if she is happy. Her answer might give you a clue about her emotional well being. Are there mental health problems in her family? Has something bad happened to her recently?

Possible action items for you: Take your mom out for lunch, or on an outing you both would enjoy. Spend time with her and talk to her about her life, or memories of your family, or other things she is interested in.

Do you think she likes having you visit or talk with her on the phone? Most moms love it when their adult children talk to them about their lives, or spend time with them.

If she doesn't respond to any of this, then I'd suspect depression. I would talk to your dad, as best you can. You are concerned about your mom. You need to try to talk to him about this concern.

Sometimes talking to people is hard. It is hard to be tactful. Sometimes the right words don't come our of our mouths. But the status quo isn't helpful. So, if your mom seems depressed, insist tactfully, on talking to your dad.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
And it didn't occur to you to include information on your age and whether you're living with your parents? I have no idea what you mean about not being able to be in the same room together - does that mean that you fight, or that you're repelled by the smoke, or what?

I can't help noticing that there is nothing in your post that indicates that YOU are exerting yourself to talk. You can't force them to talk. All you can do is to start conversations yourself.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
What does your dad try to talk with you about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships