Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times

Advertisements

If you have a house guest, why on earth would you leave your laundry laying on any furniture?

You asked the guest how many creamers for their coffee and then you didn't give them what they replied with. Some host! Why bother asking if you didn't want to bother giving the person 2 creamers instead of 1?

First world problems! Sounds like you shouldn't have guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,070,252 times
OP: only you can make the decisions that work best for you.

If it were me and a house guest acted inappropriately and rude, that would be the last time that individual would be invited into my home.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have a friend who stays up all night. I do not always, but sometimes I do.

Which I will get to later.

But, isn't this rude?

I have a love-seat up against a wall a few feet too far to watch TV from. And frankly, it's a clean laundry hamper, which is my right :-)

I offer an office like chair and my friend makes a big show of how uncomfortable it is - which is rude to begin with, imo.

He doesn't say 'do you mind if we clear off this love seat?'

He just pulls it out and sits on my laundry!

I said no no, and put it in a basket.

Then he took the cushion - the one you're supposed to lean against - and sat ON it.

I was like hello?

There is more, but I will start with that.

I don't know how to deal with someone who takes charge of my space, in general.

Besides banishing him from it.

I don't want to make him feel like he's on eggshells but I am sure not willing to feel that way in my own home!
You invited them in.....deal with it.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM

964 posts, read 996,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you have a house guest, why on earth would you leave your laundry laying on any furniture?

You asked the guest how many creamers for their coffee and then you didn't give them what they replied with. Some host! Why bother asking if you didn't want to bother giving the person 2 creamers instead of 1?

First world problems! Sounds like you shouldn't have guests.
In fact, she did. She just didn't put the second creamer's-worth into the coffee, because the mug was too full. She gave it to him in a separate container along with the coffee. That's an absurd thing to quibble about. The fact that he actually berated her for it says a lot about his character. I don't know why the OP continues to put up with the guy.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You sound like someone who has trouble talking about and setting limits and boundaries (which is one of the reasons he doesn't know that you have no interest in becoming romantically involved with him). The problem with this is that you end up feeling resentful towards people who don't meet your expectations, even though you have never told them what those expectations are.

Learn to set your boundaries in a firm manner and these kinds of problems will mostly go away.
This sounds right on. OP, you need to develop some assertiveness. But this friendship or whatever it is doesn't seem to be working out for you anyway. He's disrespectful of you in more ways than one.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with all of this.

Reading the OP I initially thought "what kind of host is she? Fridge is bare, dishes aren't done if only one cup is clean, and her laundry is piled all over". But as the thread has gone on, it's the term "guest" that is incorrect. He's not a guest, he's a mooch, a user, an intruder. The easiest thing is to keep your door locked, don't respond when he's messaging at midnight, and invite him over when you want him there.
Even better, she should call him and say that she's changed her personal schedule, so she's no longer available after midnight. If he'd like to get together on his day off (if she's interested in that), he can let her know when and where.

Then lock the door, or change the lock if he has a key, and follow the rest of your suggestions. But this is a friendship that's outlived its usefulness to her, if it ever had any, unless there's something the OP isn't telling us.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think it's pretty clear, the OP has full cable including Showtime.

The OP didn't answer but I asked does he have cable at home, I think the answer is no.

I really think if the OP said she canceled her cable due to cost he wouldn't be dropping by so much.
Interesting idea. Could be worth a try. There's nothing much on cable anyway, unless you have a more expensive subscription--if she cancelled her cable for real, she might not miss it.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
In fact, she did. She just didn't put the second creamer's-worth into the coffee, because the mug was too full. She gave it to him in a separate container along with the coffee. That's an absurd thing to quibble about. The fact that he actually berated her for it says a lot about his character. I don't know why the OP continues to put up with the guy.
She asked how many he wanted for his coffee. Normally, this means a person wants the creamers IN the coffee. What good is it in a container NEXT to the coffee? If she can't make a cup of coffee the someone asks, then she shouldn't ask someone how they want their coffee. I can see why he would be annoyed. Why ask if you're not going to do it?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
She asked how many he wanted for his coffee. Normally, this means a person wants the creamers IN the coffee. What good is it in a container NEXT to the coffee? If she can't make a cup of coffee the someone asks, then she shouldn't ask someone how they want their coffee. I can see why he would be annoyed. Why ask if you're not going to do it?
Why is this a bigger deal to you than the fact that he invites himself over at midnight?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times
The creamer thing is FUNNY. It is really getting a lot of attention.

If I only put one in and didn't bring him a bowl-full that would be weird and rude.

I explained why I only put one in.

With a bowl full given along with the coffee there is no reason to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships