Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,777,411 times

Advertisements

As others have said she is not your friend, she is a very casual acquaintance.

And you can say "no thank you" when someone offers to buy you a drink. You accepted her drink offer and so she probably felt she could unload on you.

Also don't know where you got that because she bought you a drink she was "interested"....LOL.

You go in there and see her again, you wave and sit somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 12,002,989 times
I'm going through a three-fold bad patch right now: three people in my life are very seriously ill, and I am geographically far away from all of them. Two are close relatives. So, yes, I have told friends about it and requested prayers for all three.

I have also talked to my pastor and requested prayers from our congregation. But very, very few other church members have asked me about what's going on. Perhaps they also feel burdened by all this shared sadness, or have troubles of their own - but I could use some compassion and caring right now, just as that's what I'm trying to provide to the three people in my life who are ill and to their immediate families.

I think some people may confuse people who are undergoing genuinely stressful and sad situations with people who always have something negative to complain about. I am not complaining - tis is the human condition, after all - but it's hard to have very scary and potentially fatal illness hit someone I care about. When that is multiplied by three - I am finding it really, really stressful. I am feeling rather paralyzed at present, but am deliberately continuing my usual social activities for now, and am trying not to dwell on this while I'm with others - but the complete lack of reaction from some is eye-opening. Those who have hugged me, or asked about how things are going, are true friends.

This time of trial will pass, but it will very likely take people whom I love with it, and bring great pain and sorrow to others whom I care about. So knowing that this is a temporary situation isn't very comforting.

That said, I cannot imagine frequenting a bar to seek comfort in complaining or in a bottle.

If your acquaintance's complaints are about less serious things, perhaps you could just respond, "That's too bad - is there anything you could do to make things better?", or "That sounds very hard - have you thought about what you can do to keep from getting overwhelmed?", just to move the needle over a little closer to positive territory.

(For those who'd ask me the same thing, I am making phone calls, writing emails and cards, and sending care packages at present. And sharing the bad news with mutual friends, and praying a lot. As the situations change, as they all inevitably will, so may my responses).

Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,643,273 times
Nothing is really ever free. Buy your own drinks and you won't have to listen.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:26 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,395,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Nothing is really ever free. Buy your own drinks and you won't have to listen.
I was intending to buy my own drinks when arriving there. She was already there and offered so I accepted.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,777,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I'm going through a three-fold bad patch right now: three people in my life are very seriously ill, and I am geographically far away from all of them. Two are close relatives. So, yes, I have told friends about it and requested prayers for all three.

I have also talked to my pastor and requested prayers from our congregation. But very, very few other church members have asked me about what's going on. Perhaps they also feel burdened by all this shared sadness, or have troubles of their own - but I could use some compassion and caring right now, just as that's what I'm trying to provide to the three people in my life who are ill and to their immediate families.

I think some people may confuse people who are undergoing genuinely stressful and sad situations with people who always have something negative to complain about. I am not complaining - tis is the human condition, after all - but it's hard to have very scary and potentially fatal illness hit someone I care about. When that is multiplied by three - I am finding it really, really stressful. I am feeling rather paralyzed at present, but am deliberately continuing my usual social activities for now, and am trying not to dwell on this while I'm with others - but the complete lack of reaction from some is eye-opening. Those who have hugged me, or asked about how things are going, are true friends.

This time of trial will pass, but it will very likely take people whom I love with it, and bring great pain and sorrow to others whom I care about. So knowing that this is a temporary situation isn't very comforting.

That said, I cannot imagine frequenting a bar to seek comfort in complaining or in a bottle.

If your acquaintance's complaints are about less serious things, perhaps you could just respond, "That's too bad - is there anything you could do to make things better?", or "That sounds very hard - have you thought about what you can do to keep from getting overwhelmed?", just to move the needle over a little closer to positive territory.

(For those who'd ask me the same thing, I am making phone calls, writing emails and cards, and sending care packages at present. And sharing the bad news with mutual friends, and praying a lot. As the situations change, as they all inevitably will, so may my responses).
I'm sorry you're going through that, but the fact of the matter is you tell the people closest to you and leave it at that.

I have a very good friend who had his brother in law dying of cancer(leaving his sister with two young children) and his mother with advanced Alzheimers. They both ended up passing within months of each other.

If you met him in a social situation you would think he didn't have a care in the world. It amazed me and I asked him how do you do it?

He said "what good does do going around telling everyone, it doesn't change anything". I thought that was a good attitude to have.

People who go around telling the server in the restaurant, the cashier at the supermarket, a casual acquaintance, etc. It doesn't do you any good, everyone has problems.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:44 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,042,525 times
She is already drunk. That is why she remember all these. Offer her one more beer she will snore under the table.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,643,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I'm sorry you're going through that, but the fact of the matter is you tell the people closest to you and leave it at that.

I have a very good friend who had his brother in law dying of cancer(leaving his sister with two young children) and his mother with advanced Alzheimers. They both ended up passing within months of each other.

If you met him in a social situation you would think he didn't have a care in the world. It amazed me and I asked him how do you do it?

He said "what good does do going around telling everyone, it doesn't change anything". I thought that was a good attitude to have.

People who go around telling the server in the restaurant, the cashier at the supermarket, a casual acquaintance, etc. It doesn't do you any good, everyone has problems.
Exactly. It's really only appropriate to tell those closest to you or people that in some way can be able to direct you to some help. Beyond that, dwelling on it doesn't help and people may avoid you if it is the focus of every conversation you want to have. We all have problems. The worse things touch all of us at some point.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:14 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,682,002 times
People in bars are lubricated with liquor. Some People tend to be very talkative when they have a few drinks. I agree with the poster who says to steer the conversation. If unsuccessful then next time find another bar. Everybody seems to have a story. I'm sure you have one also...

Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,298,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I was intending to buy my own drinks when arriving there. She was already there and offered so I accepted.
Maybe you should have bought her a drink. Then she might have thought she had a friend.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM

30,629 posts, read 24,035,585 times
When I did go to bars, not once did I ever say to myself: Boy I sure hope someone lays their sob story on me tonight. Sounds like fun.

And I've been a bartender, their sob story is not for the bartender, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships