Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,684,974 times

Advertisements

I think you know the answer to this latest issue and just need someone, anyone to see it from your POV. I am a parent, most of us on this board are so I can see you POV.. he's your kid, you want to protect him, to care for him but at some point in time, you have to do what is best for him and trust me, right now YOU ARE HURTING HIM... surely you do not want to hurt him but if you continue to catch him when he falls you are only hurting him more and more.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
No, trust me. Blended families are the toughest I've ever dealt with. My husband comes from the "tough love" school of parenting. He said that's how his parents raised them. I'm not sure if he's bragging but he keeps saying that out of 7 kids, they put 4 through college, one went to the military and two went to work after graduating high school. They all have their diplomas and not just a GED and my husband is one class away from getting his masters. It's like he doesn't care about my sons. Granted they haven't made the best of decisions but I have always felt he was too hard on them. When my oldest son started getting into legal trouble my husband sat him down and said, "One of us will leave this house and I promise you it won't be me." My oldest son hasn't lived with us in a few years now. He's 21 years old and already been arrested 7 or 8 times and is a convicted felon. I still see the good in him too.
How much more do you expect your husband to do, when you undermine his every attempt to get your kids to man up? He's 100% in the right.

Somebody owes your niece a car, and it isn't your husband, or your parents. Narrow down the remaining options and start saving.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 AM

91 posts, read 119,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Because your son is an irresponsible adult and already ruined one car. I think you are enabling him. I wouldn't lend him my car either because I wouldn't trust him. He has proven he doesn't care about other people's expensive belongings.

If he's not in college, why isn't he working to buy his own car?

It's not the grandparents responsibility to provide transportation for an adult who has already ruined one car.

Give him your car, and you borrow a car, that way if one is ruined it's yours since you want to continue to enable him.

Two words- public transportation

He is in college, well, technically he's taking a graphic design class and will be done in about a year. My husband said that he has no structure. When he first went off to school he wanted to go into the travel industry and maybe work on a cruise ship as an activities director. That changed to accounting. Then when he flunked out of school he wanted to do construction management and now he's doing graphic design. He just haven't found himself yet.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 AM

2,429 posts, read 1,556,471 times
I feel sorry for your future grand child.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,413,060 times
Quote:

I just feel that as his mom I need to be there for him.

Nothing we can do about that. He's my son and I need to be there for him.

I just feel that he's not willing to lift a finger to help my son. I know he's right but I just don't know what to do.
Sometimes being there for your child means letting them fail and learn to pick themselves up. Your son will soon be a father. It's time for him to learn to be a responsible adult on his own. As long as you continue to enable his irresponsible behavior he will never learn to stand on his own.

In my opinion, letting a child fail doesn't mean you don't love them. It means you love them enough to let them become an adult.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 AM

35,198 posts, read 31,535,506 times
Quote:
He is in college, well, technically he's taking a graphic design class and will be done in about a year. My husband said that he has no structure. When he first went off to school he wanted to go into the travel industry and maybe work on a cruise ship as an activities director. That changed to accounting. Then when he flunked out of school he wanted to do construction management and now he's doing graphic design. He just haven't found himself yet.
He had better find some structure if he wants to be a decent father.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
You need to quit taking your husband for granted or using him or whatever it is you're doing, listen to him, follow his instructions with your sons, and thank God that your husband hasn't already left you and your dysfunctional kids. I'm shocked that he's still around and doubt that he will be for much longer unless you do a 180 turn and start heading in the opposite direction. You owe him an apology and you need to quit trying to figure this out on your own since you're clearly incapable of making rational decisions when it comes to your adult kids. Stop what you're doing and do what your husband recommends. You're helping to create a huge, dysfunctional mess and no rational adult would continue to put up with this for much longer.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM

6,586 posts, read 8,455,720 times
Quote:
I know he's right but I just don't know what to do.
And we can give you advice till we're blue in the face but you'll ignore it. You've been enabling your sons for over two decades, to the point that it's severely hindered them from developing into contributing members of society. And it doesn't sound like you're willing to quit enabling them.

So what do you want advice on? How to convince your husband to enable them as well when he, you, and all of us know he's right?

I'd advise you to tread carefully, OP. One day, your husband may reach his limit with you and your kids.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Quote:
I know he's right but I just don't know what to do.
But you DO know what to do - you just won't do it. You know your husband is right. You just don't want to follow his RIGHT advice.

Hope you can handle your grown sons all by yourself because I think that writing is probably on the wall.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,000,294 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He had better find some structure if he wants to be a decent father.
Oh my!

Who's paying for this schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships