Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:48 PM

32,798 posts, read 48,654,572 times

Advertisements

It's one holiday party, OP. It won't kill you to have a slim meal one time with the in-laws. When you are invited to dinner, you eat what you are served, smile, and say thank you. Personally, I think it is rude to bring extra dishes or desserts that were not requested. Ask a couple of days before the dinner if the hostess would like for you to bring a dessert, or rolls, or a side dish. Don't take food if the hostess declines. If you are still hungry after dinner, stop on the way home and get yourself an ice cream sundae.

The only time my family, either immediate or extended, ever serves appetizers is if it is an all day football watching marathon. Other than that, no one wants to spoil their appetite.

If it is just my immediate family, I do a large roast, but keep down the number of side dishes and do mostly vegetables and not so much starch. We are well past the age where we stuff ourselves until we are sick. There is plenty of food, though, for multiple servings and lots of leftovers.

For Christmas, there is eggnog and I will make a dessert, whatever dessert is requested, in addition to the dinner..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,467,550 times
I'm curious. When they come to your house for dinner, do they partake of the appetizer, drinks, and dessert?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:59 PM

32,798 posts, read 48,654,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
...... there are usually no appetizers..... just enough for one serving of each thing. There is rarely a desert. There are no drinks served at all, not even sodas or water. ....... I would so love a glass of wine or at least some coffee. ....... tried bringing a bottle of wine, a desert, etc., but they just put it away and don't serve it. .........
No coffee, no wine, no soda.... do the in-laws belong to one of the churches that do not allow caffeine or alcohol? No dessert? Is someone diabetic? Are there other dietary restrictions? High cholesterol? Allergies? Is there someone in the family who can't control themselves and will eat or drink things they should not have if it is put out on the table?

I agree that it is not the way that most people do a festive holiday meal, but you can't change who people are. They are your in-laws, so you are pretty much stuck with them.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,413,228 times
My husband's family is Italian so they always have a lot of food like you, OP. I always consider it too much. Honestly. Every single year without fail they complain about how full they are, how there is too much food, too many leftovers, etc. and it's the same thing the following year.

My parents don't really do appetizers but they make PLENTY of food and have dessert with coffee/tea. If I wanted booze, I'd bring my own, and they wouldn't put it away.

I would just try bringing an appetizer or asking them for a glass of wine. Have you? They might just think of your bottle as a gift and that's why they put it away.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,216,408 times
I serve quite a bit of food myself. I also purchase the somewhat disposable tupperware so everyone can take home leftovers. I have been at parties where there isn't enough food. Not fun.

You already stated that you take food but it is not put out. I would agree with another poster, sounds like a control issue. My FIL used to be married to a woman that was really odd. I can't tell you how much I dreaded going over there every year. She suffered from a mental illness so we all kind of tip toed around her. She prepared foods in a bizarre manner. One year she made mashed potatoes but made them in the blender. I asked for someone to pass the potato soup and got a slight kick under the table. I had NO idea it was supposed to be mashed potatoes. I was always on edge the whole evening. One time my husband got really ill on the way home. I can't tell you what a relief it was when my FIL and her split up. It was a long 15 yrs.

What we did was eat beforehand.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,955,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Why not bring your own? I have an aunt that does a pretty awful spread. So we bring a few trays of appetizers. We bring a big box of coffee and a handful of sweetener/creamer. We bring a few dessert items. And a few people even bring main courses and side dishes. And there's nothing wrong with bringing a bottle of wine and opening it when you get there.

You're not going to change your in-laws. We still joke about how awful my aunt's spread is, but we make the most of it and fill in the gaps. If they are jerks about you bringing stuff, then it might be time to stop going or just "stopping by" and not staying for the food.
This is it. Make it stuff you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
ask them for a wine opener
It may be necessary to bring your own. I know from personal experience.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 5,444,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's one holiday party, OP. It won't kill you to have a slim meal one time with the in-laws. When you are invited to dinner, you eat what you are served, smile, and say thank you. Personally, I think it is rude to bring extra dishes or desserts that were not requested.
^ This

Old 12-24-2015, 05:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,853,617 times
I rarely disagree with oregon but I will on this topic. Either eat appetizers and dessert at home before going or bring them if it will be eaten that day and will likely not offend the hostess. If the wine is confiscated, carry a flask. Pour your own. Sometimes gatherings of this type require a bit of wine. These people sound like poor hosts, not considerate of their guests needs/wants. Frankly the amount of food/drink served at our family holiday meals would satisfy a hungry pro football team. Leftovers for days. I like leftovers....

Old 12-24-2015, 05:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,853,617 times
FWIW, I get it. My in-laws do this too and it's almost all out of a box or the freezer. I offer to cook because I enjoy it and am skilled at it but my MIL insists and then complains about it the entire time. Sigh.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,850,525 times
I come from lower to middle class parents.My paternal grandfather was a garbageman and my paternal grandmom did daycare at home for extra money. They always made meals way over the top--two kinds of potato, one or two meats like ham and turkey and several side dishes and two desserts. Not a big family, they had one kid (my dad) and 3 grandkids (us). They always said "We may not have a lot of money but we eat well." They had leftovers for a week.

When I went to my boyfriends (now spouse) parents for holidays for the first time they served just enough food for everyone but getting seconds was not immediate. They were white collar and lovely people, over-abundance of food was not their way but we always got a plate to take home "for lunch tomorrow" haha.

When you are a guest you abide by the host's rules. If you want wine bring the bottle and open it and offer to everyone else too. Ask in advance if you can bring a dessert, if they say no then eat it later at your own home, more for you.

I have multiple food intolerances now (gluten-free is just one of them) but would never make a host feel bad, I just eat what won't hurt me and eat later or bring a food I can eat to share.

I would love to be invited to different meals where they serve different nationality food. It would be so interesting but that's not happening. Be great if people would post photos of their holiday tables wouldn't it? Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships