Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM

590 posts, read 715,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If you're in college, it seems to me you should have learned about paragraphs by now.

You sound pretty normal, though. You're not supposed to necessarily have a job if you're in college - except a summer job - and not everyone owns a car, anyway.

You happen to be coming of age at a time when it's society favors juvenile behavior - as can be seen with people in their 30s going to Hunger Game movies, dressing up for Halloween, and wearing jeans - which I'm guessing no one would have been doing in the 1950s. You don't become an adult overnight. It happens gradually, especially after you start working.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to stop using the term "loser."
Whats wrong with wearing jeans? LOL....

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-21-2015 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Orphaned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM

347 posts, read 426,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAHomiez71 View Post
When I was younger, I had all the potential in the world to do/be whatever I wanted and now its gone. I feel like I should have my life figured out and know what I want to do, but I don't. I'm still in college and I like what I'm studying, I don't love it, but I like it enough to have a career in it I think. The problem is, I don't know what else I would want to do that I would like more. I feel like this is the official age where there is no excuse to be childish or a nuisance and no excuse for not growing up and being responsible to know the law, I dont have a car and I dont have a job? I still act like a 16 year old, I don't know if I have some kind of mental disability where I just don't want to grow up? it was just 3 years ago when I was 18 when they still treated you like a kid, but the official age where adulthood begins is 18? But when a 21 year old does childish things, they think that he or she is a sissy or a mentally-ill person? I feel like I wont grow up at all? I feel like being in yours 20s is so tough and complicating that it does not come with any instructions? I wish my 20s did not have to start this way but it somehow did and now I feel guilty? I just have this guilty feeling in me for being in my 20s now, I feel like I don't want to grow up at all? I just want to remain a child for the rest of my life, I am so nostalgic, I cant even see my self as an adult? I feel like a baby in a adult body. I don't know how to act like an adult or how to be an adult? I don't know myself that well anymore like I did when I was a teenager where life was relaxed and easy, its funny how things change so much in just 5-6 years. Most people would think a 21 year old is old because of the sound of the number and how they look, at 21 I still feel like a teenager and I don't have a car yet or have a job yet, when people see me they think im a loser.
Enjoy your 20's!!! They're the best decade!! Life ends at 30.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,607,153 times
There were so many sentences ending in question marks. I got lost trying to determine if there really was a question?

There are people in their 30s and 40s and beyond who do childish things. It could be considered "fun".

Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
Wait... I'm not supposed to be wearing jeans or watching the Hunger Games? I'm doing adulthood all wrong!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,905,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAHomiez71 View Post
When I was younger, I had all the potential in the world to do/be whatever I wanted and now its gone. I feel like I should have my life figured out and know what I want to do, but I don't. I'm still in college and I like what I'm studying, I don't love it, but I like it enough to have a career in it I think. The problem is, I don't know what else I would want to do that I would like more. I feel like this is the official age where there is no excuse to be childish or a nuisance and no excuse for not growing up and being responsible to know the law, I dont have a car and I dont have a job? I still act like a 16 year old, I don't know if I have some kind of mental disability where I just don't want to grow up? it was just 3 years ago when I was 18 when they still treated you like a kid, but the official age where adulthood begins is 18? But when a 21 year old does childish things, they think that he or she is a sissy or a mentally-ill person? I feel like I wont grow up at all? I feel like being in yours 20s is so tough and complicating that it does not come with any instructions? I wish my 20s did not have to start this way but it somehow did and now I feel guilty? I just have this guilty feeling in me for being in my 20s now, I feel like I don't want to grow up at all? I just want to remain a child for the rest of my life, I am so nostalgic, I cant even see my self as an adult? I feel like a baby in a adult body. I don't know how to act like an adult or how to be an adult? I don't know myself that well anymore like I did when I was a teenager where life was relaxed and easy, its funny how things change so much in just 5-6 years. Most people would think a 21 year old is old because of the sound of the number and how they look, at 21 I still feel like a teenager and I don't have a car yet or have a job yet, when people see me they think im a loser.
I am 16 when I wake up in the morning and think of all of the things I will accomplish during the day. When I swing my legs off the bed and my feet hit the floor I am reminded I am 58 and reality strikes like a cobra. I have the mind of a 20 something at times though I can be judiciously serious as need be. I am a musician and dabbled in art when young so my creative side still leads me at times. I never strayed to the liberal side of it as my sister and others did. Though I love my sister, I can't abide those people and their inane ideals.

I hate when talking with them and their exclamations include "that's so conservative!".
Usually because I offered a different opinion than they.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,255,606 times
if you want to figure out what to do with yourself. Move away from your parents. If you already live away at school that's great, but don't go home. Parents can't help but treat you like a kid, because that social dynamic is in their head and you won't learn to be on your own until you have to think for yourself. Find an apartment after college and a job to support yourself.

Can't figure out what to do for work? at 21 you're probably close to graduating from college or you have already graduated. Find a job for which you were trained and go from there. You are not pigeon holed into staying in that first job, but you should try to figure out what you like and work at doing what makes you happy.

Post graduate education should wait until you figure out that you really like that subject. What are you studying currently?

FYI: the first year out of college and working can be difficult and I suspect it's what you might be going through mentally right now. "is that it? is this what I've worked all my life to do for the rest of my adult years?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,388,112 times
If you don't know how to drive and haven't held a job by your early twenties, I think you do need to spend some time in introspection.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM

761 posts, read 834,003 times
You need focus, direction and most importantly "guidance".
A ship without a rudder never steers straight.

Best of luck!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:11 AM

723 posts, read 869,974 times
Well your brain isn't quite fully mature until your mid-20's and these 18 and 21 'coming of age' years seems so arbitrary to me.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:03 AM

151 posts, read 159,737 times
Yeah, I am 21 as well, but I feel like a 15 year old. It was really depressing thinking about my milestones and how little I have achieved at this age. No job (nor do I want one), no gf, still in parents' basement, and no real hope for the future. I have a college degree, but I don't care to use it. I just want to be a kid. I hate work. I want to have fun. Honestly, if I could just marry a rich woman to take care of me the rest of my life, I would. Unfortunately I'm ugly, so that's not happening heh. I guess I am going to have to stick with my parents, darn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships