Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't allow myself to be trivialized with the small stuff. How ridiculous.
It's only 'ridiculous' if it's not your name that they are butchering... Once that happens, you'll get a much better understanding how it's rather disrespectful... imho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
It really depends. If it is someone I am meeting I don't give it another thought. In business it bothers me a great deal. They aren't putting in time to get my name right however they expect perfection from me. I never say anything, just let it go.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
People are utterly stumped by my name. It's not even that hard but they just can't manage it. At times I can just laugh it off but at times I want to tell them off.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,254 times
Many people call me Michele (instead of my real name) all the time. Sometimes i'll correct them, but it doesn't bother me. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to correct them sometimes LOL

Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I saw a funny email this morning where someone replied and totally butchered a name. This was a common name and he only got the first letter right! How do you feel when someone butchers your name?
My maiden name and married name are both difficult last names.

I don't mind if they butcher it, I already know it is difficult to pronounce.

I do mind if they misspell my name, at least take some effort to copy my name correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It really depends. If it is someone I am meeting I don't give it another thought. In business it bothers me a great deal. They aren't putting in time to get my name right however they expect perfection from me. I never say anything, just let it go.
I do agree with this.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
My first name is: Chi Lon, but I realized long ago that's just way too difficult for most people so I shortened it to "Chi".

spelling it usually isn't a problem but when people try to pronounce it they come back with:

Kie (ryhmes with pie)
Cheye (ryhmes with eye)
Chee (hey that's correct)
Ching (wtf, where did the extra letters come from?)
Chang (come on, WTH)

When I go to a fast food place, I just say my name is Richie and all is good.

Born and bred in the good ole US of A, I should have changed my name in Kindergarten.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
It's only 'ridiculous' if it's not your name that they are butchering... Once that happens, you'll get a much better understanding how it's rather disrespectful... imho
How is it disrespectful if someone doesn't know how to pronounce your name? It's only disrespectful if they mispronounce it on purpose.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:42 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It doesn't bother me that much. I politely correct them and move on.

It only bothers me when someone INSISTS that I'm pronouncing my name incorrectly. Excuse me??? It's MY name. I know how it's pronounced!
I got a big belly laugh from that because it reminded me of one of my friends who has a very odd sense of humor. When introduced to someone with a difficult name he would reply "I don't think it's pronounced that way". He got some of the funniest looks but most people realized it for the joke it was.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 PM

51 posts, read 139,987 times
I have a friend who has a weird, hard to pronounce name. They get all worked up and upset any time someone pronounces it wrong. My name is equally as weird and hard to pronounce and I've always just understood butchering of the name comes with the territory. Nobody will every get it right on the first try, and 9 times out of 10 they'll give it a shot and ask if they've pronounced it correctly. I don't take offense in the mispronunciation, though, it's not like anyone can read my mind.

When I go to a store where they take your name for food I always give them a common name that's close to my name (the name mine generally gets confused with). I always have a laugh when whoever is writing it down insists on asking how exactly I spell it since there are a few variations of the name.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a last name that is super difficult to pronounce. It is a long Dutch last name, I am German, but live in the US and of course nobody here nor in Germany knows how to pronounce a Dutch name.

You get used to people mispronouncing or misspelling if you have a weird name. It's not their fault that you got that difficult name.

If you have a last name like SMITH or Jones and it gets mispronounced or misspelled, I would seriously question the other person's intelligence.

It just sucks that I never get confirmation emails when I order/book something over the phone because people on the other line cannot spell even when I tell them each letter spelled after the military phonetic spelling code.

I married a Dutchie and I show horses for other people for a living so my name gets called alot ( thank goodness) and I just enter how it sounds phonetically. It is long name really pretty too so I want it heard right if it is booming across an arena. Otherwise people are fascinated by it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships