Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,293,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's a poor social etiquette! You don't ask people, and especially women their age, their weight, how much they make, or other personal questions. It is inappropriate and impertinent, unless you have a clear purpose beyond idle curiosity or speculation.
If you're dating or spending significant time with someone, you'll eventually find out. If not, there's no need to know.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
With age discrimination being rampant in the workplace, and essentially impossible to substantiate (as with nearly all forms of discrimination), I find NOTHING whatsoever off about shutting down coworkers who pry regarding one's age. It simply isn't the sort of thing a coworker needs to know at all, apart from being culturally socially inappropriate behavior.
I agree. I know several people who probably were fired or not promoted or transferred due to their age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSocial View Post
Okay, I waited for what everyone said, this is rude? So why is it that when some other guy asked her for her age she told him and it happened at the job. This happened 6 months after she told me to hush. This guy she gladly told him, no hesitation, I saw it with my own eyes.
Maybe she knew him longer, maybe he asked in a different context, maybe he was nicer to her, maybe she already told him once before and he was asking again, maybe some other reason./
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,828,862 times
Quote:
Okay, I waited for what everyone said, this is rude? So why is it that when some other guy asked her for her age she told him and it happened at the job. This happened 6 months after she told me to hush. This guy she gladly told him, no hesitation, I saw it with my own eyes.
Why did you ask if you already knew the answer?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,650,455 times
A non issue. Get vindictive when put in your place, passive agressive?

Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Why? Call her a male?
It's something misogynists do.

It reduces a woman to a biological category. We see a LOT of it on the Relationships board from angry kissless virgin engineers who want to know WHY women won't bow down in their presence.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,593,060 times
If I worked in a place where some coworker was keeping score cards in his head of what I said to whom 6 months apart and I came to know about it, I would be afraid - it sounds like stalking-type behavior, or autistic but aggressive.

In general, it is rude to ask a woman's age because we live in a society that largely judges women by their physical attractiveness and ability to bear children, and women are generally pressured to be eternally young - take one look at Hollywood and the relative ages of "mated" couples in movies and you'll get a clue - so it has become a social norm that it is not appropriate to ask a woman's age in many contexts including casual work conversation.

She tried to give you a subtle, polite hint not to ask when she said "Hush". The fact that she told someone else is meaningless. Maybe she didn't feel like fighting it that particular day, maybe that person has more social etiquette than you and has a relationship with her such that she doesn't feel offended by being asked - whatever the reason, it is irrelevant and none of your business - same as her age.

The fact that you're keeping track of this kind of stuff is frankly disturbing and aggressive.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,960,224 times
What a douche.,.... How old are you???

Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,464,922 times
Dude. Let. It. Go.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 AM

732 posts, read 972,744 times
Quote:
What does it mean if a female tells you to hush after asking her how old she is? A female worker at the job I started a conversation with told me to hush with her index finger touching her lips after I asked her how old she is. I thought she was joking or something. I asked her again and she did the same thing. Now when I see her I don't even look at her. I don't talk to her. I don't even respond to her if she says hi. I been doing this for a year now.
I find it hard to believe you didn't know that a lot of women are insecure about their age. It's common knowledge.

You also shouldn't be making too personal of chitchat with your co-workers at work if you know what's good for ya. Especially with a co-worker who is a straight woman if you're a straight guy. You're bound to have problems if you do.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 AM

732 posts, read 972,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's something misogynists do.

It reduces a woman to a biological category. We see a LOT of it on the Relationships board from angry kissless virgin engineers who want to know WHY women won't bow down in their presence.
This is the first I have ever heard of that, and that's ridiculous. There aren't any other generalized ways to refer to genders without taking into account age. Are we expected to say "girls & women" instead of "females" and "boys & men" instead of "males"? I don't think so.

Merely using those terms doesn't make a person a misogynist nor a misandrist.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:24 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
This is the first I have ever heard of that, and that's ridiculous. There aren't any other generalized ways to refer to genders without taking into account age. Are we expected to say "girls & women" instead of "females" and "boys & men" instead of "males"? I don't think so.

Merely using those terms doesn't make a person a misogynist nor a misandrist.
Because you've never noticed it, it's ridiculous?

As usual, context is key. This is but one explanation you can easily find by Googling:

Is Calling a Woman a Female Offensive? - The Root

It's often used by men who want to have sex with women but don't really seem to like women very much. Hang around the Relationships forum a while and you'll get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships