Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:26 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,185,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I've seen quite a few Facebook postings of men and women declaring their love of their spouse/boyfriend-girlfriend, SO not just today on Valentines Day but any day of the week they will post this.

Why do people do this?

If you love your husband, tell him. Why is it important for you to post on Facebook for your friends to see this too? If you are proud of him/her, tell them how proud you are. There really is no need to post it. That's personal.

It is great you're in love, but not everyone of your friends need to know this info. That cute romantic poem you posted to him/her, write the words on a note and give it to him....hide it for him to find when you're not around. It'll have more meaning than a posting on your Facebook page.
Original poster - I know EXACTLY what you mean. Many of them are happy they FINALLY have a SO and want to show them off and prove they have something. Some want to make others jealous. And some want to project a "perfect" lifestyle on Facebook.

What is ALWAYS interesting to me is when the expressions of love are one-sided (and usually coming from the female). I've seen several female FB friends who tag their SOs in EVERYTHING - pictures, memes, status updates expressing love, etc. - but the man's page is silent except for maybe news or sports links or something. One friend used to make these picture collages with hearts and sayings like "True Love" - and she's nearly in her 40s. But I know for a FACT she's not particularly happy in the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Okay, I'll bite...

What I've found from past experience that often people (many but, not all) who feel the need to constantly publicly proclaim how good their marriage/relationship is, tend to in reality, not have as great a relationship as they claim to have.

I once worked with a woman who often told everybody how wonderful her husband was. She ended up dumping him for another man.

Then there were the neighbors in the townhouse next to us. In public, they were all lovey-dovey. However, sharing a wall with them told us another story. They fought a lot with lots of screaming and cussing.

The people I'm friends with on FB will leave loving posts about their spouses on the spouse's b'day or the couple's anniversary in other words, special occasions---nothing wrong with that. Yet I know what you mean about people who feel the need to constantly tell someone how great their spouse/SO is. The best way to handle that is to either say nothing, or if you feel like it, "like" their post without making a comment.
I agree with this. I had a coworker who used to talk about how much she loved her "king" ALL.THE.TIME. She'd make kissing noises at his picture at his desk. If he came to work to bring something, she'd conspicuously hug and kiss him. She'd talk about how WONDERFUL he was. Come to find out, she was cheating on HIM with SEVERAL other coworkers - and it all got exposed via email with pictures as proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,419,347 times
Default I don't know why they do

and really don't care. Doesn't impact my life in any way, whether they do or not. It's probably why I don't have a Facebook account.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,429,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That is not why I post.
And if my friends choose to publicly celebrate their relationship, I tend to be happy for them vs get all butt hurt about my situation and project it at them.
A (to the nth degree) men! I like it, too! the World has gotten to be such a freaking sad and hateful place it gives me a bit of hope when I see my friends on FB post ANYTHING positive, ESP to their S/O! I don't go in depth with them to find out IF what they post is true or HOW true it is...I just am happy for them!
I think O/P is pretty darn bored and BORING, too, so she just wanted to inflame...but no takers!
Just another meaningless C/D post...like most of them. SMH...very sadly.

Here's a new thread I am gonna start next time I am bored....WHO names themselves DiddlyDudette on an internet website?? WHAT is that all about??? Being Diddly OR being a Dudette??? Inquiring minds on C/D wanna know???

Old 02-14-2015, 10:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,429,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
You and me both. Glad someone else gets where I'm coming from. I'd rather be told to my face that you love me. Why the need to advertise that on a Facebook page? But then I'm a more private person so perhaps that's why it's hard for me to understand.
SO private that you only have 1603 posts on C/D....riiiight!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 PM

10,167 posts, read 7,826,936 times
If I'm feeling an overwhelming love for my husband at the time, I'd feel the need to go give him a big hug and tell him that I love him, not to stop and log on to my Facebook and post about my feelings. I just find that odd is all but whatever gets you through the day I guess.

These days nothing seems personal or private anymore. There is no mystery. So many just want everyone to know all their business and every feeling and emotion they have.

Pretty soon we'll be seeing these types of posts: Just went to the bathroom....feeling relieved. lol

Old 02-14-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
SO private that you only have 1603 posts on C/D....riiiight!
Not my real name sweetie. As I hope Mooksmom isn't your real name either. I believe we can all write on this board without others knowing who we are so we can all still remain pretty much private.

On Facebook you post your real name and have your real friends that actually know you follow you. There is nothing anonymous about it. So you can't really compare the two.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 02-14-2015 at 10:59 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,697,634 times
What i find funny is when people pray on facebook. I dont think God has a facebook acct.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What i find funny is when people pray on facebook. I dont think God has a facebook acct.
Thanks I needed that. I literally laughed out loud.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:41 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
I always know when a couple is having problems when they start making "I love you" posts on FB. It's like 95% guaranteed they are about to break up. Maybe V'day is the exception though.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,118,469 times
I don't really mind those posts because at least it's something positive and uplifting. What I don't understand is those who literally post every single thing they are doing every moment on every given day. Making omelets for the fam! Dropping the kids off at school! Going to the grocery store! And on and on as if anyone really cares about their play by play.

But what's worse is parents posting about how their kid just used the potty for the first time. Ugh. As if anyone on their Facebook wants to know the details of some kids bm's! Are ya kiddin me?!? As someone with no kids, I couldn't possibly care less about this information.

Therefore, I stopped following their pages and don't have to see those kinds of posts anymore. That's a thing now where you can keep them on your friends list but don't follow their posts so you won't see them in your newsfeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships