Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 2,682 times

Advertisements

Do you think its right for my parents to tell me that I can't date this guy? I'm twenty years old and I am currently going to school. I don't work but my parents are paying for my education and I still live under their roof. They are willing to help me financially and I appreciate that so much. I do follow their rules and stay out of trouble, however, there is a guy involved. I been talking to him about three years now and we talk on the phone almost everyday or if not text each other and sometimes see each other. We talk like best friends, lovers, and a couple who tells each other everything. The thing is I see him behind my parents back because they do not like him. They never even met him and they don't want any involvement with him. One night my mom found out that we met up one time and she got so mad at me. She was telling me that he isn't a good guy and that he is one of those types that will never leave me alone. The reason she said that is because I had to turn him down a lot, when he asks me out, I tell my mom that I'm going out and she would ask with who or where. I would tell her the truth, she would tell me no and I would have to turn him down. Then she told me that once a girl turns down a guy he would leave or move on to the next girl but this guy hasn't left me yet and is still trying to be in my life. My mom thinks that he is going to never leave me alone, lets say if I break up with him he would stalk me or whatever. I don't see how, I can't believe it, is my mom right? She tells me that she has a gut feeling, her senses tell her that this guy is bad news when she never met him...? What should I do? I really like/love him and I wish my parents and him would get along so I can go on dates with him whenever I can without going behind my parents back and be happy. Is my mom crazy or is she right?

Thank you,

Cloë
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
You're almost done with college. One more year, right? Once you graduate and get a job, you can get your own place.

Is this guy a student? If so, you can see him at school. What do you do on weekends? Maybe you could do some volunteer work somewhere, or join a club, where he'll be participating, too.

It sounds like you've already asked your parents to meet him and get to know him, but they refused? That's unreasonable, of course. If you really did your best to ask them to meet him and they won't, you'll have to wait until you can get your own place before you can date. Unless you have a relative you can talk to, who might talk to your parents on your behalf.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM

813 posts, read 1,274,652 times
Have you asked your parents why they don't like him? Maybe you could ask if there is a way that you can work something out with them so that you are respecting their feelings and could they meet you in the middle somehow?

You're almost done school, right? I know it is hard, but try to work with the situation. It is not worth making the situation miserable for yourself or your parents.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,742,248 times
You're an adult by law, but not in your attitude. No time is too early to say no to your mother and I further sense that this will not be easy. She has the power, right now, and my guess she wants to keep it for a long, long time.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:55 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,689,730 times
It may help if you sit down with your parents as adults and talk to them about this guy.
Parents want only the very best for their kids, and now that I am in my 40s, I know this from experience!
When I was young, they just seemed to be a thorn in my side, always on my back about my friends, etc.
Believe or not, I can honestly say today that they are the only ones who had my back, I just could not see it then.
Ask them their concerns, gut feelings towards this guy. Ask them to at least meet him in person before making that final decision.
Explain to them that you do not want to hide and see him behind their back like a teenager.
Parents gut feeling is usually right, but they could at least give him the benefit of the doubt, and meet him in person.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 AM

11,399 posts, read 24,485,204 times
Does the guy have a good job? Does someone in his family have a bad reputation? Are you doing this just to rebel or because he's blocking out all viable suitors?

My guess is they think he's not good enough for you. Think about it. Can you do better?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
The guy and who he is and what he does is not the problem here. He could be the greatest guy on earth, and it wouldn't matter.

You have not had a chance to establish appropriate boundaries, and your parents still see you as a child.

Do what you need to to fix that. Seeing him secretly is NOT what a grown-up does.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
You are still young and your parents have a lot more experience at life. They are trying to help you avoid men that they think are bad for you, or would make bad spouses.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,040,593 times
Mod cut.

Tell us more about the guy. Why does mom have a sense he is bad news? Whats he do. How does he treat you?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: DO NOT critique members' writing styles.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIMXI.782 View Post
Is my mom crazy or is she right?

Thank you,

Cloë
She is probably right. 95% of the time the Mom radar is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships