Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times

Advertisements

I've worked on a few political campaigns. They're Linkedin connections, not Facebook ones. Yes, even the ones you are up to 3am with regularly, drank with, and even slept with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,285,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I don't think any of them hated me.One thing many of them are younger than I am and I think "out of sight ,out of mind "is one cause.Look I really liked them and the time I spent on campaigns was a good time for me and you don't get involved with people as intimately on most jobs .Another thing that is probably at play here is that for most of them politics was just a short term thing.Most of them worked on just one campaign and then moved on where I worked on several campaigns. So politics was a bigger deal to me than for most of them who now have regular jobs.
Well if you knew all this, why did you start this thread in the first place?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM

719 posts, read 1,062,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Well if you knew all this, why did you start this thread in the first place?
I did get along good with these people.They are all over 30 now.I figured that we had some good times regardless of the fact that I was more into politics than some of them. Its not fun finding out you were dead wrong.It bothers me that most likely I wont be able to find out what some of them have been up too since we worked together.Thats all there is to this.It just kind of hit me today when I canceled several friend requests. LOL I am a little Like Richard Gere in "Officer and a Gentleman" when Lou Gossett demands that Gere "Drop on Request-DOR and Gere cries "I got know no where else to go! " LOL I cant easily replace these people.Thats the short of it.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've worked on a few political campaigns. They're Linkedin connections, not Facebook ones. Yes, even the ones you are up to 3am with regularly, drank with, and even slept with.
One of my regrets was not getting to know some of the women I met on campaigns better. They were nice and all very smart but pretty much kept to the business at hand and I respected that.Too bad because many of them were very high achivers and booksmart which I have always liked.Campaigns are tough work though right? and it can be a pain in the ass, LOL but your making me miss it now! I spent many a night with the guys at a place just outside Northeast Philly , a little hole in the wall bar called the Recovery Room. Good times!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM

20,422 posts, read 14,733,077 times
Can't speak much to your situation, because there could be any number of reasons they're not responding. Top in my mind is that maybe they have moved on and have not necessarily an aversion to YOU but perhaps what they associate you with...political campaigns? Maybe they think you're trying to reach them to bother them about voting for someone, maybe they just affiliate you with that in their minds and they've moved on and have no interest in it?

I don't know but I wouldn't take it personally. I'd get involved with something new and meet some new folks, and this time add them as friends during the time that your interaction is actually happening, instead of years after the fact.

In other (FB) news...

I had a friend's young son, 11-12 years old if I had to guess, send me a friend request. The Mom is a friend on FB, and he evidently found me using her friend list. Looked at his page, most of the interaction is pics and stuff from his Mom. She's very involved with his page. I am not accepting because my page is an adult page...no, I don't post revealing or regrettable pictures of myself, but I use adult language and post some humor that isn't necessarily appropriate to youngsters. My facebook is for interacting with my adult friends, it's not ground zero for a scouts group or a knitting circle. I would not allow either of my sons (ages 12 and 15) to have a Facebook, and neither of them do. My 15 year old is (surprisingly, to me) not even interested. He says if he wants to talk to someone, he can text them. I was honestly a bit taken aback by this request from the friend's kid...I hope that my lack of response doesn't hurt his feelings.

What I think kind of stinks is that you can't message someone you're not friends with, without it going to the "Other" inbox, and I actually know plenty of people who didn't even realize that inbox existed, especially since so many use the app on their phone much more than the website itself now.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,778,350 times
Quote:
I did get along good with these people.They are all over 30 now.I figured that we had some good times regardless of the fact that I was more into politics than some of them. Its not fun finding out you were dead wrong.It bothers me that most likely I wont be able to find out what some of them have been up too since we worked together.Thats all there is to this.It just kind of hit me today when I canceled several friend requests. LOL I am a little Like Richard Gere in "Officer and a Gentleman" when Lou Gossett demands that Gere "Drop on Request-DOR and Gere cries "I got know no where else to go! " LOL I cant easily replace these people.Thats the short of it.
Yes, but you are over 50. And it sounds like this experience was a long time ago and that you are not really friends with these people. They are just acquaintances from the past who are at very different ages and stages of their lives.

Are you saying you have no friends or a social group your age? Are you depending on these long-ago people to give you a sense of belonging?

Sorry, but you are going to have to do that for yourself. No short cuts.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, but you are over 50. And it sounds like this experience was a long time ago and that you are not really friends with these people. They are just acquaintances from the past who are at very different ages and stages of their lives.

Are you saying you have no friends or a social group your age? Are you depending on these long-ago people to give you a sense of belonging?

Sorry, but you are going to have to do that for yourself. No short cuts.
50?I am at the old folks home! lol Seriously though I still thought that with some of them we could text a little just to see what we had done since.We put in some long hours together and in some cases really confided about very personal things. I will move on,I have no choice but FB gave me a way to reconnect with some of these people in a small way and I don't think or see them as just aquaintances BUT on the other hand maybe they do see me that way.Tough break I guess. Still I would have liked to hear what some of them have done.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,778,350 times
Quote:
50?I am at the old folks home! lol Seriously though I still thought that with some of them we could text a little just to see what we had done since.We put in some long hours together and in some cases really confided about very personal things. I will move on,I have no choice but FB gave me a way to reconnect with some of these people in a small way and I don't think or see them as just aquaintances BUT on the other hand maybe they do see me that way.Tough break I guess. Still I would have liked to hear what some of them have done.
Hey I am over 50. It's not that it's an advanced age, its just that there is a 20 year age difference here. A full generation. The one thing you had in common is long gone. I am sure they barely remember their experiences with you. Life moves fast and is full of changes when you are in your 20s. Don't you remember?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hey I am over 50. It's not that it's an advanced age, its just that there is a 20 year age difference here. A full generation. The one thing you had in common is long gone. I am sure they barely remember their experiences with you. Life moves fast and is full of changes when you are in your 20s. Don't you remember?

I guess we see this differently.I wasn't old enough to be anyones dad there.Older brother yes. All I sent to these people was a friend request and a message that basically said "How are things going?/What have you been up too?/Saw you got married, congrats ."ect.I haven't resent anything to any of them . My best friend is 35 -12 years younger than I am and most of these people are about his age and some are older. Still one way or another they see me differently.

Last edited by senecaman; 09-16-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Quote:
I guess we see this differently.I wasn't old enough to be anyones dad there.Older brother yes.
If they are in their 30s and you are "in the old age home" as you said... then yes, you ARE old enough to be their dad.
You have ONE thing in common a long, long time ago. That is not conducive to a long-term friendship. Especially when there has been zero contact in the interim.
Let it go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships