Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,016,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycs View Post
Zeurch-

I am going through the EXACT same thing right now with a very good friend. I am hurt and angered. I am usually a very "low maintenance" friend, but our friendship has always been different than my friendship with other people, which is why I am having this reaction. It feels terrible. Whatsapp is the worst. Because you can see when the person is online and when they are checking messages. So if you send something and there is no response it stings even more. Especially when you can see that they are online with somebody else. You're right…it only takes 5 seconds to type "Beautiful picture". Or "How are you today". It doesn't have to turn into a lengthy conversation. But people just don't have common courtesy.

This is one of my best friends I'm talking about. We have constant exchanges, but suddenly *poof* I've stopped hearing back. And there is plenty of "online" activity. Their family is coming to visit this weekend so you'd think there would be more communication. Instead there has been ZERO which is the opposite of normal for us. I've tried a couple of times to initiate contact, with limited success and one word responses. I finally gave up, and guess what? Haven't heard anything.

So I'm in the same place as you are. I need to back up, and let them take initiative. But at this point I really feel like I want to cancel the weekend plans bcs I'm so pissed about being ignored all week. I sound like a twelve year old, I realize. It's all well and good for people to say "move on", but it doesn't make it any less painful. Especially when we realized that maybe we aren't as important to the friend as they are to us.
Wauw I am happy that you made this comment, yes whats app is the most pain full thing I felt like uninstall and disconnect the connections completely. I understand you very well. No you are not being 12 year old as I feel that completely normal to feel that way. What you said was completely true. When we feel that we no one them but they are like brothers sisters or even more to us. I lost contacts with some other people too but that did not pain this much because they are not absorbed that much to inside because I met them may be in a seminar, or in a official gathering from work, or friend from a friend loosing contact with them is not hurting that much like loose the contact with some one who we thought at least a close friend. Now I am almost silent a week or more no single word. I am keeping that way. What really hurts me feel being used you know what I mean? Because when ever she wanted to talk and release her mind I was listening even it was a headache. Some times she was 5 hours on skype. I have the feeling like does she needs me only to put her stress out? At some point I feel like may be my brother is right. She will be back when she stresses again. And also people like us I am sure you also one of me other wise you wont get hurt, we don't see who they are for real because of our friend ship. That is also possible. Thank you so much for the comment. I don't like to say take it easy when I know it is not that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
No worries, something just got lost in translation. We would call what she's doing "venting" her feelings, so she doesn't have to carry them around inside her. If that's the only time she calls you though, she isn't being much of a friend.
Honestly I am start feeling that too,,,

Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am curious what "release her package" means as well. I will say this about the feeling of being used. The minute you feel it, say "no" to what ever favor they are asking of you.

ETA: I just saw that the OP updated her page. Just tell her you busy and hang up the phone.
For me one of hardest things to do like ignore a person with no reason, hang up on some one, and pretend like I did not receive the messages, pretend like single when I am seeing some one, those are very few things from the list what hardest things for me to do,, but at some point I will be used by every one for sure, but this time I am thinking to give the same reason as she is,, and see what happen then. I honestly don't like to do but need to do at some point.

release her package- my brothers expression for- blow up mind, telling me what ever on her mind that is what release a package.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,173,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
For me one of hardest things to do like ignore a person with no reason, hang up on some one, and pretend like I did not receive the messages, pretend like single when I am seeing some one, those are very few things from the list what hardest things for me to do,, but at some point I will be used by every one for sure, but this time I am thinking to give the same reason as she is,, and see what happen then. I honestly don't like to do but need to do at some point.

release her package- my brothers expression for- blow up mind, telling me what ever on her mind that is what release a package.
Thank you for explaining again.

I am exactly like you and I wouldn't recommend changing who you are not even just to see what happens. If you so desire, pick up the phone when she calls, but during the phone call, if you want to change the topic of conversation after hearing her talk (which is the respectful thing to do), then ask if you can change the topic.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Have never heard of releasing a package. Like what was said before, we call that "Venting", think about a pipe full of pressure and if it doesn't let off some steam it will explode. The pipe gets vented to let off steam. So when friends need to talk about a problem, they are "venting". Friends who only contact you to "vent" are not very good friends and only care about themselves.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Have never heard of releasing a package. Like what was said before, we call that "Venting", think about a pipe full of pressure and if it doesn't let off some steam it will explode. The pipe gets vented to let off steam. So when friends need to talk about a problem, they are "venting". Friends who only contact you to "vent" are not very good friends and only care about themselves.
Please don't take that word seriously my brother laughing not stop at me because I have mentioned that word in a forum. he said he never thought I would drop it on a public forum. But yes what you say is true because they are thinking nothing else but them selves.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you for explaining again.

I am exactly like you and I wouldn't recommend changing who you are not even just to see what happens. If you so desire, pick up the phone when she calls, but during the phone call, if you want to change the topic of conversation after hearing her talk (which is the respectful thing to do), then ask if you can change the topic.
Yes I truly agree. No I am not changing who I am for that sort of friends because it is honestly not worth. Will see I am waiting to see when she at least return a call. I am not letting some one to disturb my inner spirit but this one gone too far to be honest.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Ah! I just had a thought about Release a package, it might be a translation of "Dropping a Bomb". This means telling someone something that is unexpected. Makes perfect sense now.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM

88 posts, read 107,199 times
Zeurch? There is something going on here that is deeply ingrained in your friendship. The avoidance factor is key here and there can be several reasons for that.

#1: A friend going through a personal drama may not want to share their feelings with a close friend thinking they might be judged by you.

#2: Maybe you think you friendship is closer than the other friend thinks?

Leave your friend alone for the moment. I too have been in situations where a friend ignored me only to come back.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Ah! I just had a thought about Release a package, it might be a translation of "Dropping a Bomb". This means telling someone something that is unexpected. Makes perfect sense now.
I think "unloading emotional baggage" is probably closer to what OP means. As a native speaker of American English, I personally don't use that expression, but it is in use out there on websites, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships