Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,253,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Your group needs to get those receipts from L for the charities that she allegedly donated to for your group's reporting requirements. If she can't produce the receipts for your group then you need to contact local law enforcement for potential embezzlement charges. Ask for help from your parent organization if you run into trouble.

Years ago I was the president of a home owners association, mainly because no one else wanted to do it and the office was in disarray. I held that position for 4 years, cleaned things up with the help of a few others and then we moved. The last year that I held the post a newcomer to the neighborhood (a woman) joined the board and was excited to run for office. Seemed weird to me but whatever. About a year after we moved I got a call from the HOA treasurer looking for advice. Seems that the new president (the new woman) had gotten ahold of the HOA's checkbook (which was the domain of the treasurer and each draft needed two signatures) and had over the period between statements (4 months) written over 100K worth of checks. The new president ended up in jail and was ordered restitution but that put the HOA in a tough position having essentially had their funds drained.

The preponderance of embezzlers are female, normally young to middle aged females. Get your issue fixed and be sure that there is oversight and immediate reporting in the form of letterhead receipts for any funds or goods collected by your group. If your group lacks the will to do this, disband and form a social type of organization. Good luck.
I agree that you should get the receipts from the charities.

Someone in our former condo association, also stole a substantial amount of money (I believe about $200,000) from their reserve fund. It caused many, many problems to the current owners (we had moved to a new place a few years earlier) as that was the fund for big repairs such as roofs and roads.

It just shows you how important it is to always have two signatures on checks, people checking the other board members and an outside person checking the books. Although, you think that all of your friends and neighbors are trust worthy not everyone is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,793,011 times
OP I get why you guys are pissed, but ultimately, you did something good, for people who are surely grateful, if this annoying women was the mediator, so be it. I am sure you guys are going to be perfectly fine without her. People who use others typically end up sad and alone, and those who help others, not so much.

The best revenge is living well, so go organize an awesome moms night out, and lift your glasses to life without her.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I remember those days all too well; more drama per person than any soap opera I'd ever known of.

Let it go and move forward. Wasting time on figuring out "what just happened" saps energy from way more useful endeavors and will provide little to no resolution or satisfaction. Your group did some good things under slightly mysterious circumstances, it doesn't erode the integrity of the acts themselves.

Actually - this isn't about drama,
this group is not only part of a national organization, they are a legal entity. Therefore, the can't just "move on." The DO need to do the investigation and create a paper trail. They have a fiduciary duty and a legal obligation to account for everything done in the name of their organization, even with only 6 members.

If their instincts are off base, then so be it. They still have a paper trail. If this woman is a scammer and has "moved on," then she may be onto her next group and needs to be stopped. Sounds kind of like a grifter.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,930,925 times
Let her go. it isn't like you have a personal connection. if she isn't interested, why would that make you mad? not easy to require people to attend club functions.

I agree that her charitable efforts seem shifty. I knew women like this when I worked for the Girl Scouts. Always trying to work an angle that would help themselves and give the appearance of altruism. i was never sure if they were aware their efforts were sketchy, but it seemed they felt the rules did not apply to them.. GSUSA has rules about troops giving money to charities to protect families about this sort of thing. We also had money laundering and embezzling to track. people are stupid.

I would not assume she made donations in the name of her home schooling org. Quite possible she kept any cash, or sold what she could on ebay, or kept items for herself. either way, that part of it would make me mad.

Don't give money to 'charity' that passes through the hands of others.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I belong to my local chapter of a mom's club (we're an official non-profit organization all over the nation) ........

Now, our group is required to do one "service project" per year and that can basically entail anything- walking for a cause, donating to a charity, etc.

Agreed, stagemomma, that you don't want her around anymore. That wasn't the OP's question. It was "did we get scammed?" I've been on the receiving end of the guvmint's displeasure at how a 501C3 was handled badly. I came in AFTER someone had screwed it up and I got to come in with hip boots, flamethrower and helmet to clean up the mess. The faster they can get to the real truth, get a paper trail, and find their answers, the better. If we're only talking about used clothing donations and $100 worth of stuff, then it's not a big deal. Learn from it and move on. But if you're talking more than that, Regulators love to make examples of little guys who are easy to catch. And remember, the way the government looks at it, each of the members of the Board or Executive committee can be held personally liable... so be careful!

One more thing Berrie - If this IS a fair amount of money or donations, you really need to contact the National HQ of your organization and alert them. They should have a say in how you handle this. Meanwhile, tomorrow morning, go to the Ronald McDonald House and politely ask about your donations and "how did that go. And by the way, our organization needs some sort of receipt. Could we possibly have a duplicate of the one you gave to L?" Be careful to not make L look bad, in case she DID give them the stuff, and/or is related to someone who works there. No sense stir up another pot of trouble by slandering someone.

All the other advice is good going forward. Don't ever depend on a newbie to deliver the goods to the charity, no matter how wonderful and charming they are. One of your regulars should go along as well -- because, of course, "We want photographs and a PR opportunity!" Always get receipts because you never know if a member will write this off on taxes. Always have a paper trail and journal your charitable activities to prove to the IRS that you are, indeed, following all the rules for a 501C3.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 PM

922 posts, read 1,117,345 times
Well, I called the last charity that we dealt with and spoke to the person in charge of the donations; she is sending me an itemized list of everything that L donated and all of us group members will go over it all to reassure ourselves that what we bought went to kids who NEEDED it, not L's kids who have plenty. I have an email to the RM house and am waiting for a response from them.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,017,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I have to say yes, it sounds like L scammed your group.
+1. I'm surprised she didn't make more attempts to solicit "donations." Cut your losses and move on.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,253,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Agreed, stagemomma, that you don't want her around anymore. That wasn't the OP's question. It was "did we get scammed?" I've been on the receiving end of the guvmint's displeasure at how a 501C3 was handled badly. I came in AFTER someone had screwed it up and I got to come in with hip boots, flamethrower and helmet to clean up the mess. The faster they can get to the real truth, get a paper trail, and find their answers, the better. If we're only talking about used clothing donations and $100 worth of stuff, then it's not a big deal. Learn from it and move on. But if you're talking more than that, Regulators love to make examples of little guys who are easy to catch. And remember, the way the government looks at it, each of the members of the Board or Executive committee can be held personally liable... so be careful!

One more thing Berrie - If this IS a fair amount of money or donations, you really need to contact the National HQ of your organization and alert them. They should have a say in how you handle this. Meanwhile, tomorrow morning, go to the Ronald McDonald House and politely ask about your donations and "how did that go. And by the way, our organization needs some sort of receipt. Could we possibly have a duplicate of the one you gave to L?" Be careful to not make L look bad, in case she DID give them the stuff, and/or is related to someone who works there. No sense stir up another pot of trouble by slandering someone.

All the other advice is good going forward. Don't ever depend on a newbie to deliver the goods to the charity, no matter how wonderful and charming they are.

One of your regulars should go along as well -- because, of course, "We want photographs and a PR opportunity!" Always get receipts because you never know if a member will write this off on taxes. Always have a paper trail and journal your charitable activities to prove to the IRS that you are, indeed, following all the rules for a 501C3.
That is an excellent suggestion.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,440,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Well, I called the last charity that we dealt with and spoke to the person in charge of the donations; she is sending me an itemized list of everything that L donated and all of us group members will go over it all to reassure ourselves that what we bought went to kids who NEEDED it, not L's kids who have plenty. I have an email to the RM house and am waiting for a response from them.
Since they did receive something, its probably true that they got it all. L may simply not have the time to give to your group anymore.

RM house BTW is a awesome charity, and helps families who desperately need it on occasion.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Berrie - that is wonderful news about the other charity! I'm proud of you for getting out there and getting that done. It's not always easy to do that... Hoping it's the same result for RM. And don't feel bad that you were suspicious. It's important to follow the rules with a 501C3. And your questions and all these comments will be a huge help to people involved in groups like yours who don't know where to turn for information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships