Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM

347 posts, read 426,846 times

Advertisements

I'm temporarily in suburbian hell helping my mom recover from surgery and helping nanny my niece. For the past month, rowdy kids are ringing the door at all hours and running away. (This is only one of the many instances of drama on this street of hell.)

Last night we were all chilling out and the punk rang the doorbell and beat the door so hard with his fist, we thought we were being attacked and even the dog freaked out.

We went to peer out the door and he'd run away. P*ssed off, I grabbed my taser gun and went looking for this punk.

He was gone and I decided to crouch inside by the front door with the porch light off, because this sniveling runt likes to do it all night. Next thing I see out of the corner of my eye is a white shirt running across the street.

I get p*ssed, flash my light on him and next the neighbor is getting angry at me threatening to call the cops for harassment! Apparently he was playing football with his son. Ooops, am I bad? I told him what was happening and he was still an arrogant jerk off and told me I had no rights to flash a flashlight at them??!! When did flashlights become menacing weapons?!!!!

Annoyed, I did go in to call the police to see what our options are. They sent a cop out who informed me I cannot taser a minor, if he's just on the property. (If he were to break in, it's on.) We have to catch this misfit to press charges.

We are talking about installing security cameras because he'll do it again.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:25 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,563,813 times
Disconnect the doorbell.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,616,152 times
Yeppers. That is what I did when my baby was a few months old. We had kids (and solicitors, back in those days) ringing the doorbell typically at least 2-3 times EVERY SINGLE DAY. And inevitably, it would be when my baby was taking a much needed nap.

I didn't even bother to figure out how to disconnect the doorbell. I just took a pair of scissors and cut the wires that I could reach, lol. Worked for me.

BTW - we lived in that house 11 years and I never did reconnect the doorbell.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,408,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Disconnect the doorbell.
Yep, that's your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...urity%20camera

There are also a variety of real looking fake security cameras under $20

Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM

99,885 posts, read 4,506,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post

Last night we were all chilling out and the punk rang the doorbell and beat the door so hard with his fist, we thought we were being attacked and even the dog freaked out.

Disconnecting the doorbell does nothing to stop them from beating the door as the OP described above.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM

36,762 posts, read 31,049,568 times
Water hose.
Anyway you can wire some electric current to the doorbell?
Paintball gun.
A game cam might be less expensive than a security system.
Strategically placed poo.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM

19,771 posts, read 20,357,267 times
Ha, I'd probably do something evil like tape a thumb tack to my doorbell lol

Old 08-18-2014, 02:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,015,115 times
Motion sensitive lights, in addition to the camera. Punks do what they do under the cover of darkness. As they approach, let the world light up.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,268,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
I'm temporarily in suburbian hell helping my mom recover from surgery and helping nanny my niece. For the past month, rowdy kids are ringing the door at all hours and running away. (This is only one of the many instances of drama on this street of hell.)

We went to peer out the door and he'd run away. P*ssed off, I grabbed my taser gun and went looking for this punk.

He was gone and I decided to crouch inside by the front door with the porch light off, because this sniveling runt likes to do it all night. Next thing I see out of the corner of my eye is a white shirt running across the street.

I get p*ssed, flash my light on him and next the neighbor is getting angry at me threatening to call the cops for harassment! Apparently he was playing football with his son. Ooops, am I bad? I told him what was happening and he was still an arrogant jerk off and told me I had no rights to flash a flashlight at them??!! When did flashlights become menacing weapons?!!!!

Annoyed, I did go in to call the police to see what our options are. They sent a cop out who informed me I cannot taser a minor, if he's just on the property. (If he were to break in, it's on.) We have to catch this misfit to press charges.

We are talking about installing security cameras because he'll do it again.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Thanks!!
I would put a sensor light first before installing a security camera. Sensor lights are fairly inexpensive. If you can angle it so that it goes on before they get near your door, that might deter them. Just be sure not to angle the light where it will shine in a neighbor's window.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,425,234 times
Surveillance cameras. A guy I know was worried about burglars breaking into his house in a bad area, and he had surveillance cameras installed for a relatively low cost.

Another option is motion-activated floodlights. Put a few out that light up the area super-bright when someone steps onto the porch. It will make them uncomfortable and uneasy.

My grandmother had this - no one was able to sneak up to her door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships