Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,601,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
How about a permanent trap for the new neighbors? Can I trap them and remove them? I'm not sure if an invisible fence would work for this cat since it has had it's freedom for years. Someone mentioned not putting a collar on cats because they can choke?
Are you trying to be funny? Sounds more like a personality disorder than humor.

So you want the neighbors to control their dogs, ignore your cat on their property, and ignore that squirrels? Any other things you'd like the neighbors to do while you're at it?

Many people do not like squirrel feeders as it attracts the squirrels to building. Squirrels and chipmunks can do a lot of damage to a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM

36,795 posts, read 31,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
They have approached him and it sounds like they received an barely civil response. That being said Nice civilized people wouldn't expect their neighbors to clean up after their pets. Good neighbors would understand that it's rude to let their animals run around causing issues.
Well the neighbors gave a not so civil approach. If the first encounter was I'm going to call animal control or trap your pet and take it to the pound, what response would you expect. What mess? What issues, their dogs want to chase her cat?

I don't disagree that pet owners are responsible for keeping their pets contained and seeing that they are not a nuisance to neighbors but good grief it seems some folks are extremely anal about something trivial. These particular neighbors don't appear to practice what they preach either.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,248,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Are you trying to be funny? Sounds more like a personality disorder than humor.

So you want the neighbors to control their dogs, ignore your cat on their property, and ignore that squirrels? Any other things you'd like the neighbors to do while you're at it?

Many people do not like squirrel feeders as it attracts the squirrels to building. Squirrels and chipmunks can do a lot of damage to a house.
I guess you haven't read my posts. The neighbors dogs aren't innocent by any means. Their dogs break through the invisible fence, run across the street, bark nonstop at my cat when it's in my yard, have wandered into my yard, and even walked onto my back porch, starring at me through my own back door! I've never had an issue with their dogs so why should they have an issue with my cat? Because they are too lazy to put a leash on their dogs? And trapping squirrels is just wrong on so many levels. They are causing the babies to become orphans, etc.

And no, I don't have a personality disorder. That comment was uncalled for. Now the neighbors just might suffer from several................

Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,973,696 times
I'm not understanding why it's thought of as trivial because the new neighbors don't want the cat in their yard. The idea to just put up with it because it's no big deal boggles the mind.

Yes, maybe they could have just asked at first that you do something about the cat being on their property before saying something about trapping it, but I have a feeling you would have been just as appalled they even said that, not like you would have done anything about it, so why the big fuss? Doesn't sound like you are even attached to the cat any way.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well the neighbors gave a not so civil approach. If the first encounter was I'm going to call animal control or trap your pet and take it to the pound, what response would you expect. What mess? What issues, their dogs want to chase her cat?

I don't disagree that pet owners are responsible for keeping their pets contained and seeing that they are not a nuisance to neighbors but good grief it seems some folks are extremely anal about something trivial. These particular neighbors don't appear to practice what they preach either.
I thought these neighbors moved in last year. It could be they've been putting up with the feral cat all this time and they've finally had enough?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,133,174 times
Quote:
Forgot to add.....If I am a nightmare of a neighbor than apparently everyone else on this street is as well. Dogs poop, urinate, roam freely here. The grumpy, new neighbors are outnumbered. Perhaps they are the ones who should move.......they don't fit in here anyways! They are too uptight and picky for us!
It may be that the new neighbors are not without blame, BUT just because everyone else is cool with whatever roaming animals using their yard for a toilet, doesn't make the new neighbors uptight and picky. They pay to live there just as much as anyone else and it's not unreasonable that they don't want your cat using their yard as a litter box. I think the comment above is why you aren't getting much sympathy. Saying they should just move and they don't fit in makes you sound like a mean middle school girl not letting the new kid sit with you at lunch.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
How about a permanent trap for the new neighbors? Can I trap them and remove them? I'm not sure if an invisible fence would work for this cat since it has had it's freedom for years. Someone mentioned not putting a collar on cats because they can choke?
I'm sorry you are having neighbor problems. After reading this thread I think I will send my adjoining neighbors a little card thanking them for being kind and tolerant neighbors (even the transplants).

Not long ago I got word that my pig was down at the neighbors. He is a transplant and pegged by the other neighbors as a bit of an arse. I was really dreading going to get my pig thinking I was going to get one heck of a butt reaming. When I got there his wife led me to the garage where the pig was and there was my neighbor with my pig in his lap rubbing her belly. I was so relieved.

I don't leave collars on my dogs or halters on my horses. Wouldn't even think about putting a collar on a cat. Way to much potential for accidents. If I used break a ways it would cost me a small fortune.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,248,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
It may be that the new neighbors are not without blame, BUT just because everyone else is cool with whatever roaming animals using their yard for a toilet, doesn't make the new neighbors uptight and picky. They pay to live there just as much as anyone else and it's not unreasonable that they don't want your cat using their yard as a litter box. I think the comment above is why you aren't getting much sympathy. Saying they should just move and they don't fit in makes you sound like a mean middle school girl not letting the new kid sit with you at lunch.
Well, why would they want to sit with me at lunch? I am an animal lover. It's not cool to move here and try to police everyone when it's only beneficial to you, trap squirrels, cause their babies to die, euthanize cats that aren't harming you, etc. I've seen my other neighbors dogs relieving themselves on their property as well. Why aren't they approaching their owners? Why am I being singled out?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Quote:
Well, why would they want to sit with me at lunch? I am an animal lover. It's not cool to move here and try to police everyone when it's only beneficial to you, trap squirrels, cause their babies to die, euthanize cats that aren't harming you, etc. I've seen my other neighbors dogs relieving themselves on their property as well. Why aren't they approaching their owners? Why am I being singled out?
Is yours the only feral cat?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I thought these neighbors moved in last year. It could be they've been putting up with the feral cat all this time and they've finally had enough?
Could be. We only have one side of the story. The fact they are trapping and relocating squirrels seems weird to me though. Who does that? I'm surprised their dogs don't keep the squirrels chased out of the yard. Or the cat. I have 7 cats and 3 dogs. Squirrels do not frequent my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships