Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
OP sounds like the nasty neighbor IMO. Just because everyone else in the neighborhood is okay with other people's pets coming into their yards doesn't make it wrong that your new neighbors don't feel the same way. I HATE cats that roam the neighborhood. I just bought a new house and every time I'm there working, I've noticed there are always cats walking through my yard and it pisses me off. When I start living there with my dogs, my dogs are going to go nuts with cats walking through their yard all the time. I don't let my dogs wander onto other people's property and I expect the same courtesy.

I don't have anything against cats, but unless you live on a giant farm with no neighbors, you should keep your cat inside.

My point was that if you are the new neighbor you should try your best to get along with the neighbors and not make waves the first time you meet a neighbor ...that is a good way to be known as the neighborhood Mrs Kravitz ...nosy and bosy . People like that are soon snubbed by all the neighbors and highly disliked . Not a good way to start off in a new neighborhood .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
What, if anything can be done about this? Thoughts/opinions about this please!
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking? Just because you've never seen your cat go in their yard doesn't mean it doesn't. Outdoor cats can be quite annoying unless they are mousers on a farm. The neighbors are responsible for their dogs, and you are responsible for your pets. If your cat goes on to their property, then that becomes your problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It is completely different. Cats are not native predators. They are not killing for food. They are non-native, which means they are not kept in balance by the ecosystem, and in fact disrupt it. They kill for sport, not to eat, and they kill more than any natural predator would. They are kept well fed, well energized and healthy by owners, so their behavior and kill rate is not at all natural for a predator. Also, since they are non-native predators, native wildlife has no natural defenses against them. Species such as mourning doves have not evolved in the presence of a small, ground-dwelling predator that can climb, so they fall to these predators at abnormal rates, as do many other birds and small mammals. So cats are completely different from other predators. They are not part of the local ecosystem at all - they are harmful to it. But it's not their fault, of course, and I have nothing against cats - just ignorant cat owners.
People kill for sport too, let's not blame it on cats. It is impossible to train an old cat to stay indoor or walk on leash. Dogs are trainable cats are not!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM

150 posts, read 343,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
LOL!!!! Hilarious. There are no leash laws for cats anywhere. None.
You might want to try google before you make such a statement.

Henderson Municipal Code pertaining to the leash law (HMC 7.04.130 and 7.04.150) reads:
7.04.130 Restraint and sanitation.
A. Every person who is the owner of any animal, or keeps the same upon his premises or under his care, custody or control, shall keep the animal restrained by a fence, cage, coop, chain, leash or other adequate means so that said animal shall not leave or escape from the premises upon which it shall be kept; provided that no person shall keep any such animal unless its living area is kept clean and free from offensive odors, animal wastes and rodents, excessive amounts of flies, or any other offensive or unwholesome condition. What about cats and ferrets?
The leash laws apply to cats and ferrets, also.Pet owners have a legal responsibility to keep their cat or ferret on their own property, just as one would do for their own dog.

People fed up with feral and stray cats in Dunbar, WV In addition to the program, Strickland will go over existing pet laws. She said the city has a leash law that applies to both cats and dogs."No one is allowed to let their cat roam unrestricted off of their property," she said.

Restraint Clark County Nevada
All pets must be restrained to the property of the owner, or on a leash.

Would you like me to add more?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
OP is a terrible neighbor. I'm a cat lover, I have three BUT they are indoor. Why should my cats ruin anyone else's property or enjoyment?

At one point I had neighbors with cats that would come over and spray our patio and crap all over. Our porch reeked as did our expensive lawn furniture. Tell me why I should clean up your cats crap?

So, I mentioned it nicely a few times and finally let them know I was going to trap any cat that came on my property - and I did. I bussed a few cats to the humane society and problem solved. The cats weren't registered and I guess the neighbor couldn't pay the fines. Roaming cats are a nuisance! Sorry OP, you are a nightmare of a neighbor. Keep your cats indoors, plenty of people do it.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
My cat is NOT nor will he ever be a domesticated indoor cat. He was a stray that was starving and we decided to TNR him instead of having him euthanized at the local animal shelter. He shows up for food at dinnertime and then goes about his business. He spends his days hiding in the bushes or wandering through nearby woods. Me and this cat have lived here for years and have never had issues with any of our other neighbors.

My husband has known many of the other neighbors forever. Their pets (dogs and cats) regularly wander onto our property. It's never been an issue. These grumpy, elderly (close to 80), control freaks move in and have issues with everything. I now comprehend why the locals despise transplants.

We live near the end of a quiet cul-de-sac on a golf course and are not allowed to put up a real fence. We have larger lots (.60-1 acre) on this street. The grumpy new neighbor who has an issue with her dog getting run over is being irrational. Her dog is not in danger of getting run over. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.

As another poster mentioned, trapping is apparently allowed here. It's perfectly legal for them to trap my cat or the squirrels. So, my only options are having my cat euthanized at the animal shelter since he is not adoptable, waiting for the grumpy neighbors to die, having them deal with my cat, or moving. And moving is not an option anytime soon.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Naturally, this thread deteriorated into the indoor cat crowd talking down to people and making nasty remarks. And here I thought this thread was about dealing with neighbors you dislike.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Forgot to add.....If I am a nightmare of a neighbor than apparently everyone else on this street is as well. Dogs poop, urinate, roam freely here. The grumpy, new neighbors are outnumbered. Perhaps they are the ones who should move.......they don't fit in here anyways! They are too uptight and picky for us!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
My cat is NOT nor will he ever be a domesticated indoor cat. He was a stray that was starving and we decided to TNR him instead of having him euthanized at the local animal shelter. He shows up for food at dinnertime and then goes about his business. He spends his days hiding in the bushes or wandering through nearby woods. Me and this cat have lived here for years and have never had issues with any of our other neighbors.

My husband has known many of the other neighbors forever. Their pets (dogs and cats) regularly wander onto our property. It's never been an issue. These grumpy, elderly (close to 80), control freaks move in and have issues with everything. I now comprehend why the locals despise transplants.

We live near the end of a quiet cul-de-sac on a golf course and are not allowed to put up a real fence. We have larger lots (.60-1 acre) on this street. The grumpy new neighbor who has an issue with her dog getting run over is being irrational. Her dog is not in danger of getting run over. They are making a mountain out of a molehill.

As another poster mentioned, trapping is apparently allowed here. It's perfectly legal for them to trap my cat or the squirrels. So, my only options are having my cat euthanized at the animal shelter since he is not adoptable, waiting for the grumpy neighbors to die, having them deal with my cat, or moving. And moving is not an option anytime soon.
Or you put on your big girl panties, dispense with the nastiness, go over and talk to your neighbors. Explain that your cat is and has always been outdoors. Apologize for the fact that the cat goes on their property, and ask them to please let you know if it becomes a regular problem, but you will do you best to prevent it from happening.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Forgot to add.....If I am a nightmare of a neighbor than apparently everyone else on this street is as well. Dogs poop, urinate, roam freely here. The grumpy, new neighbors are outnumbered. Perhaps they are the ones who should move.......they don't fit in here anyways! They are too uptight and picky for us!
That doesn't make you right. I'll never understand why the responsibility to keep cats safe should fall on anybody other than the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships