Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,664,247 times

Advertisements

I never understood the mindset of having an "outdoor" cat. Why even have one then? Just because cats like roaming doesn't mean you should let them. Where I live, outdoor cats don't live long. We have so many predators that would love to meet kitty ranging from fox to coyotes to the occasional Lynx and of course there's traffic which accounts for most of the carnage. I'm not a cat lover, my wife is and she'd no sooner let her cats wander than we do our dog. Also, the poster who said cats kill a billion birds a year is right. They are the number one cause of death for our feathered friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,803,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I never understood the mindset of having an "outdoor" cat. Why even have one then? Just because cats like roaming doesn't mean you should let them. Where I live, outdoor cats don't live long. We have so many predators that would love to meet kitty ranging from fox to coyotes to the occasional Lynx and of course there's traffic which accounts for most of the carnage. I'm not a cat lover, my wife is and she'd no sooner let her cats wander than we do our dog. Also, the poster who said cats kill a billion birds a year is right. They are the number one cause of death for our feathered friends.
My cat is 10 years old. She likes to lay on the deck in the warm weather and soak up the sun. We have a huge yard she likes to prance around and doesn't leave it, they can be trained. Either my husband or myself are at home when she is out and if she is off the deck in the yard she comes back when called.

We don't throw her out the door at night to prowl, she just enjoys the warm weather, she won't put a paw out the door in cold, rainy or windy weather.

As far as cats who kill birds that is something that always has and always will be, there are also predator birds who will rob nests and kill, no different then a coyote killing a deer in the woods.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,664,247 times
You honestly believe you can train a cat They may come when called but that doesn't mean when you're not watching that they're being little angels. Also, there is a big difference between a coyote killing deer and cats killing 1,000,000,000 birds annually...about 999,999,000 less.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,451,486 times
Arent break-away collars ok for cats? I s/h been more specific. I would hope no neighbor would deliberately remove a neighbor's cat to another neighborhood unless they mistakenly think it's a stray cat (alth. then it s/b taken to a shelter so the owner has a chance of finding/reclaiming it), that w/b mean - but wearing a safe cat collar w/ an id tag and addy might help prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Should never collar an outdoor cat. Too many things, brush, branches etc can get caught in the collar and keep him trapped or worse. Micro chip yes, collar no

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,971,875 times
Was it okay for your neighbors dogs to get through their fence and run into your yard? No. Is it okay for your cat to be able to wander into theirs? No! Just because you've never seen it you think it's never happened. Give me a break.

Around here we call outdoor cats coyote food. I shake my head whenever I see "Lost Cat" flyers. I did go check out the trapping of cats here in our town. Totally legal to trap a problem cat and take them to the humane society.

Others people's cats in my yard drive me nuts. They even have been caught sleeping on our furniture on our front porch. And I've caught them in our fenced back yard. Would our dog go after them? You bet. She has gotten squirrels. I'm sure cats would be just as easy.

For the record. I love cats. I have two. That stay indoors.

As far as trapping squirrels. That is futile. I would tell them about the ways you have kept squirrels from getting at your feeders. Maybe they don't know.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,401,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
This morning my husband tells me that he was outside and heard a scratching noise. He turned around and our neighbor (the same one that wanted to trap my cat) had trapped a squirrel. He told my husband that the squirrel was eating out of his bird feeders and he was releasing him elsewhere. The neighbors did this regularly at their last home. Instead of investing in squirrel baffles, the cheapskates trap and relocate the wildlife!
That appears to be illegal where you live.

Craven County Government - Trapping Nuisance Animals

Quote:
Wildlife may be trapped only if the wild animal is showing obvious signs of rabies or has exposed or potentially exposed humans, pets, or livestock to rabies. Nuisance wildlife must be trapped by a Wildlife Depredation Agent. For a list of local Depredation Agents, call 1-800-662-7137.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM

24,788 posts, read 11,181,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You honestly believe you can train a cat They may come when called but that doesn't mean when you're not watching that they're being little angels. Also, there is a big difference between a coyote killing deer and cats killing 1,000,000,000 birds annually...about 999,999,000 less.
TwoStep was voice trained and a very good squirrel cat to boot.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My cat is 10 years old. She likes to lay on the deck in the warm weather and soak up the sun. We have a huge yard she likes to prance around and doesn't leave it, they can be trained. Either my husband or myself are at home when she is out and if she is off the deck in the yard she comes back when called.

We don't throw her out the door at night to prowl, she just enjoys the warm weather, she won't put a paw out the door in cold, rainy or windy weather.

As far as cats who kill birds that is something that always has and always will be, there are also predator birds who will rob nests and kill, no different then a coyote killing a deer in the woods.
I have two cats. One is five years and the other is 'about' 13. Both are indoor cats but they do enjoy going outside for short periods of time. They are very paranoid though and any noise/people will send them back in. They never leave the yard but I didn't 'train' them...they just don't. They also come when I call them, no problem. My grandson lives next door and has three BIG dogs. Neighbor on the other side has two. Then there's a big apt. complex behind me...and amazingly, even with all that, my neighborhood is very quiet and peaceful. I'm really glad that my cats are so paranoid! I've had indoor/outdoor cats and no, I won't again. Lost one to a car and one to a coyote years ago. Lesson learned.

We do have cats that roam the neighborhood but they don't bother me. I do get tired of them 'spraying' my sliding glass doors though! Don't know why they do that unless it has something to do with MY cats being here??

Oh yeah...my 5 year old cat LOVES to chase lizards! She'll bring them in the house, when I'm not looking, and I find mummified lizards under the furniture now and then. My other cat is just plain old, fat and lazy so spends most of her time 'relaxing'. lol

Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,014,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
LOL!!!! Hilarious. There are no leash laws for cats anywhere. None.
Sorry, not true. We don't call it a leash law at all, for dogs or cats, but where I live cats are not allowed to roam freely. They are supposed to be confined to the owner's property. In some districts here, they must be kept indoors, period.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM

26,074 posts, read 22,273,567 times
I would check the ordinances for dogs and cats. All one has to do is google "cat leash laws" and find that many areas have them now. There is one where we are living right now and I'm glad! Thrilled! I have owned cats but they were indoor cats, pets. I can understand having an outdoor cat on a farm, worker/pet. There is a stray cat that has not been caught yet in the neighborhood. I learned some time ago that human urine is a real turnoff for cats and they'll choose a different yard if you put it where they are pooping. I'm voting with the neighbor and cannot understand why the OP was upset that the neighbor only cared about his dog getting hit but not her feral cat. Sadly, it is the fault of the owner what happens to the cat but cat pays the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships