Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 PM

943 posts, read 1,204,289 times

Advertisements

Here is an excerpt from a conversation I had a few days ago. I was wondering that if anything actually happened to the guy in question, and law enforcement start harassing me about it, they'd see this conversation and think's probable cause to gain a search warrant. Also, do you think a Jury could misinterpret the conversation and make into "evidence"

Me: He is a parasite. He only came here to financially benefit from others' work.
Friend: Do you think he'll become a problem?
Me: I don't know. People like having arms and being able to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,747,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Here is an excerpt from a conversation I had a few days ago. I was wondering that if anything actually happened to the guy in question, and law enforcement start harassing me about it, they'd see this conversation and think's probable cause to gain a search warrant. Also, do you think a Jury could misinterpret the conversation and make into "evidence"

Me: He is a parasite. He only came here to financially benefit from others' work.
You made a threat....you take your chances. Next time, keep your mouth shut if you don't like someone and let their work (or lack thereof) be how people view them.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,881,373 times
Why? Is something going to maybe...happen to him? hmmmm?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,763,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post

A search warrant for what?

Anything in a jury trial can be "evidence" --- conversations, telephone records, employment records, etc.

Why would you say what you said???? And why would your friend respond like that? And then your response???? Sounds like a threat. If anything happens to this guy, you and your friend will be interviewed as potential suspects.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 AM

19,989 posts, read 30,428,810 times
unless it was recorded, it is hearsay,,,you can always deny .... (watched plenty of law and order)

Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 AM

30,855 posts, read 16,473,467 times
except of course you have now posted it on the internet, acknowledging you said it.

next time say 'what if someone said...'

or 'I'm writing a book and....'

Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
unless it was recorded, it is hearsay,,,you can always deny .... (watched plenty of law and order)
Apparently not without perjuring him/herself.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 AM

11,766 posts, read 14,738,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
This illustrates a common misunderstanding. The Law and Order shows often get legal issues right, but they frequently oversimplify them or provide an inaccurate impression of how things really happen in court.

Hearsay is an out of court statement offered to prove the truth of that statement. If the statement is offered for some other purpose it is not hearsay.

In this case, the OP's statements were, "He is a parasite. He only came here to financially benefit from others' work." and "People like having arms and being able to walk."

If these statements were offered in evidence, presumably at a trial where the OP is charged with some physical assault on the other person, they would be offered not to prove that people like having arms and being able to walk, or even that the person they are talking about was a parasite who only came to financially benefit from the work of others, but that that is what the speaker thought of the person, and that the speaker was possibly considering breaking the guy's arms and legs. In other words, not for the truth of the matter asserted, but to reveal the speaker's state of mind.

Statements like these would be admissible for that purpose. They are not hearsay.

The question raised in the OP sounds very strange, because it would only be relevant to anything if the person they were talking about came down with some injury after the conversation. It would be a remarkable coincidence if two people were talking about what a shame it might be for a person they didn't like to suffer broken arms and legs and that person shortly thereafter did suffer broken arms and legs. Hence, Zentropa's question.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,539,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This illustrates a common misunderstanding. The Law and Order shows often get legal issues right, but they frequently oversimplify them or provide an inaccurate impression of how things really happen in court.

Hearsay is an out of court statement offered to prove the truth of that statement. If the statement is offered for some other purpose it is not hearsay.

In this case, the OP's statements were, "He is a parasite. He only came here to financially benefit from others' work." and "People like having arms and being able to walk."

If these statements were offered in evidence, presumably at a trial where the OP is charged with some physical assault on the other person, they would be offered not to prove that people like having arms and being able to walk, or even that the person they are talking about was a parasite who only came to financially benefit from the work of others, but that that is what the speaker thought of the person, and that the speaker was possibly considering breaking the guy's arms and legs. In other words, not for the truth of the matter asserted, but to reveal the speaker's state of mind.

Statements like these would be admissible for that purpose. They are not hearsay.

The question raised in the OP sounds very strange, because it would only be relevant to anything if the person they were talking about came down with some injury after the conversation. It would be a remarkable coincidence if two people were talking about what a shame it might be for a person they didn't like to suffer broken arms and legs and that person shortly thereafter did suffer broken arms and legs. Hence, Zentropa's question.
The statement is a euphemism for "I will break his arms and legs," but also a very literal declaration about what people like (having arms and being able to walk). I tend to agree that it is easily offered not for the truth, but for the speaker's intent/state of mind. For fun, there are more routes to getting the statement in:

The easy route is that this is non-hearsay because it is a party admission, which makes it non-hearsay.

It is also, a statement against interest (showing evidence of conspiracy to commit assault) if the speaker is unavailable to take the stand (likely by assertion of 5th Amendment rights).

Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM

943 posts, read 1,204,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
A search warrant for what?

Anything in a jury trial can be "evidence" --- conversations, telephone records, employment records, etc.

Why would you say what you said???? And why would your friend respond like that? And then your response???? Sounds like a threat. If anything happens to this guy, you and your friend will be interviewed as potential suspects.
A search warrant for documents, files and communications from both personal residences and office space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships