Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,912,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I find it funny when people make posts like this considering several bits of information were given that makes this sort of reply utterly useless.

Post # 10

Post # 3
i find it VERY hard to believe that all of your reservations are iron clad/no cancellations or adjustments. I've made reservations for 2 nights during peak season at the beach, then backed out of the second night the morning of with no penalty...just because it rained.

I feel your pain, but IMHO you need to spend less time moping about your friend's change of plans on this forum and more time on the phone seeing what you can cancel/adjust and use your superior planning skills to create a new itinerary for this trip. preferably one that is less expensive. If you can make changes that will save any of that 2K you will feel much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,184,685 times
Quote:
This will hurt him more since I am the person that gets things going in my group. He wouldn't be able to live the sort of lifestyle he lives right now if it wasn't for me being so damned driven. This guy had a pretty boring life before he met me, it's actually surprising how much I have influenced him.
Wow. You sure think a lot of yourself. Maybe he just doesn't feel like having his life directed so much by you. If as you say, he doesn't need the money right now, obviously he's having second, third, and probably fourth thoughts about traveling with you.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,049 times
Can you post those 30 pages of notes? I'm simply curious. Plus, I also think that "30 pages of notes" signals a bigger problem with you rather than your friend bailing out on the trip!!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM

185 posts, read 242,481 times
I'm not sure that Hoopla is even participating in this thread any longer but I'd be curious to know if there are any drawings or illustrations included within the 30 pages of trip notes

Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,023 times
LOL! Imagine the road trip from HELL and you've got an idea.

Most people want to take their time on a road trip, go where the mood takes them, not schedule in every second of every day.

You, OP, are a Control Freak, as demonstrated by you going ahead and booking everything without a cent from your buddy.

Please learn a lesson here - OTHER PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,506,771 times
Look, work takes precedent. It's not like he told you the day before. He told you two months before. In the future, if you going on a trip is dependent on someone going with you for financial reasons, I'd have them pay half the deposits so that neither party is out the money and both are clear on how committed the other is to go.

Whether or not you think your friend can just wait until September to start working is irrelevant.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM

51 posts, read 77,028 times
Default Sorry

Quote:
So I was planning on going on a roadtrip for 28 days during the summer and I had spent 3 months making these plans. They are so detailed and well planned I literally have wrote over 30 pages of notes and have everything planning by the day. My friend today tells me 2 months before the trip that hes applied for a few jobs and might not be able to come now. Leaving me with 2k in losses if he gets the job. My options are now eat the loss or pay 2k more and just go on the trip solo.

This is a once in a lifetime thing and it was very hard for me to get the days off work. Now I am trying to figure out what to do about the trip. And how to confront this friend....or if I should just end the friendship even. Surprisingly when he told me I was calm and expressed my displeasure with the fact he knew before we booked that he applied to these jobs. So why didn't he tell me and why did he make a commitment. I never usually ask for advice on here but my friends aren't really giving me any worthwhile advice. I am pretty livid right now so I want to make the right choices.
I am just really sorry this happened to you and it will most likely ruin your friendship with this person, know it would for me.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
I would lose that money because I have already booked everything last week. That money is no longer in my account and the cancellation policies are very rigid.

I can go alone it's an option, and maybe something I should consider but it will also be more expensive for me. It's not about interest, he talks about it all the damn time and doesn't shut up. I am just a very good planner and I am driven I make things happen. That's why most people don't do things because they aren't driven they just like to talk. You cannot efficiently do a 28 day trip and see the things that I will be seeing on this trip without planning it. It's just the way things are, and this is the smarter way of doing it anyway. Had everything gone to plan my trip would have been much much cheaper than just doing it spontaneously.

I am a planner as well, but as someone who drove across the country not that long ago, things can change when you're on the road and you need to be somewhat flexible. Anything from weather to road closures can impact your trip. Sounds like you're too extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am still stuck on the 30 pages of details. Maybe you are being a bit OCD and that is why your friend is bailing?
Could be, a road trip should be fun and adventurous, this sounds like every last detail is planned including bathroom stops and how long for lunch and exactly where we will eat.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I am a planner as well, but as someone who drove across the country not that long ago, things can change when you're on the road and you need to be somewhat flexible. Anything from weather to road closures can impact your trip. Sounds like you're too extreme.

Could be, a road trip should be fun and adventurous, this sounds like every last detail is planned including bathroom stops and how long for lunch and exactly where we will eat.
Of course! How else could you fill 30 pages for a 30 day trip!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM

530 posts, read 668,153 times
Simple truth - friends don't "screw" friends over. If he owes you money, collect it. Regardless of who is wrong or right here, a debt owed must be a debt paid. If he does not pay you and you choose not to pursue the issue, pay the extra money, go on the trip alone and learn from this experience. Neither a borrower nor a lender be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships