Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,783,408 times

Advertisements

She doesn't sound like much of a friend if you're afraid she'll retaliate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,069,455 times
I would cut communication with this woman, especially if she is going after the same jobs as you, and using your name when you don't actually permit her to. Then go to HR & make it clear you did not refer this woman.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,770,510 times
I have the "phyco" friend also (not really even sure I would call her a friend). I got her a job at the place I worked a few years ago. Despite my best efforts, I got reprimanded several times for her behavior that they assumed I was doing also...for no other reason than we were friends. She got fired and I quit under pressure.

Fast forward a few years and I have a job I love - and she is unemployed. Guess who is calling and trying to pressure me to get her a job? She came in a filled out an application and I went right behind her to our HR gal and told her that this woman wouldn't be a good fit and I would prefer she not be hired. Our HR lady thanked me for being honest and shredded her application while I was standing in her office. She said they much prefer to know than to rock the boat by adding someone who is a bad fit to the crew.

I never / will never tell my "friend" I did that, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it either.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 14,301 times
She emailed me again today asking again about the job, multiple questions about how I spend my day, my time. I replied back to her and then called and spoke with her and told her I was concerned that she was focusing her job search too much on just one company. I also told her that I could not help her any more with her job search. She did get angry. She started ranting about why she was qualified for the job.

I told her she didn't have to convince me that she was qualified, that she submitted her application and there was nothing more I could do to help. She went on about how she just thought I would tell my employer that she wanted the job.

The conversation did not end well, but I at least made it clear by repeating myself more than once that there was nothing more I could do to help her. I did tell her that she has the tendency to get angry with her employers if things don't go her way, and that this time, I would not be pulled into any of her complaints.

I doubt she will ask me again about this particular job. I will now try to do the fade out with her.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,504,094 times
That took courage on your part. Good for you! Many people are qualified for a particular job, doesn't make you the only one qualified.

Hopefully, you will be able to let her just drift away. Ignore her emails/calls.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,253,530 times
Wow - she sounds like a nightmare employee.

BTW, I assume EVERONE who applies wants the job. Amusing that she thought that was some sort of qualifier. Maybe HR didn't understand she WANTS it and hates to be denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships