Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times

Advertisements

My friend and I (both female) have known each other for over ten years. There has always been kind of a big sister/little sister dynamic between us, given that I'm a couple of years older than she is and I'm the more responsible one (a topic for another thread).

Anyway, we haven't lived near each other for years, but we do see each other maybe once a year. The past couple of times I've seen her she has acted strange with me. If I don't agree with what she says, wants, or does, she gets sulky and acts like I've hurt her feelings. It's like any assertion of independence on my part is met with resentment. She also gets super clingy and wants me with her at all times.

The only other time I've experienced this with people is in romantic relationships where my significant other is jealous and wants me all to himself. She is displaying that level of neediness. I can't tell if she has developed feelings for me, or if I'm a surrogate mother figure, or what the heck her behavior is about.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
My friend and I (both female) have known each other for over ten years. There has always been kind of a big sister/little sister dynamic between us, given that I'm a couple of years older than she is and I'm the more responsible one (a topic for another thread).

Anyway, we haven't lived near each other for years, but we do see each other maybe once a year. The past couple of times I've seen her she has acted strange with me. If I don't agree with what she says, wants, or does, she gets sulky and acts like I've hurt her feelings. It's like any assertion of independence on my part is met with resentment. She also gets super clingy and wants me with her at all times.

The only other time I've experienced this with people is in romantic relationships where my significant other is jealous and wants me all to himself. She is displaying that level of neediness. I can't tell if she has developed feelings for me, or if I'm a surrogate mother figure, or what the heck her behavior is about.

Thoughts?
prolly not

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
prolly not
Helpful...

Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Helpful...
What more do you want? It does not sound like it.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Crush??? NO!
All she seem to need is a good friend. Too bad that you are reading it so wrong...

Old 03-04-2014, 05:17 AM

639 posts, read 678,387 times
Nope.... Its looks like a good friend..

Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,982 times
She sounds female. But you already know that.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Anyway, we haven't lived near each other for years, but we do see each other maybe once a year.
Quote:
She also gets super clingy and wants me with her at all times.
??

How does that work?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Ask your friend, she is the only one who knows the true answer.
If you don't want to deal with what appears childish tantrums then don't spend time with her.
It is that simple to make a decision to not cower to others childish whims.
The choice is yours to continue to put up with her antics or not.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 PM

43 posts, read 36,970 times
Has she been going out with any one yet? Do u know her sexual orientation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships