Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 PM

206 posts, read 307,209 times

Advertisements

So i have for the most part been a decent helping person but it seems to not get acknowledged i see.
So a man who i have just met said to me "its not other peoples or your siblings responsibility to take care of you" after me telling him my story. What i told him was i was going trough a hard time in my life, i lost my job, was mentally ill, and brother was giving me bull****. My brother was doing coke at our moms and i was trying to live there he was acting out and our mom did not kick him out. My sister just got out an abusive relationship a few years before that time and there was something that i wonder about her. She told me a story about her relationship with her boyfriend how he treated her bad and she was lost and she WISHED that my brother and i would have tried to come and pull her out his house. At the time i did want her out that house and i though about her but i was so young at that time and she also followed her boyfriends commands so it would have been hard. So when i was going trough a hard time years after her being with her man she did not save act like she wanted to help or jump for me, but shes knows that i would have helped her.

She knows i would have came to her and her mans old house but it was her naiveness that would have taken up for her man and i was very young but she knows that. So some times she asks for a couple favors and i say ok ill help, so i help her and fix things for her. I dont charge her allot and some times i do for free, but she told my mom not to long ago that "he needs to give me gas money for my car even if he is poor". So wow i cant get a ride some times to where SHES already going and i dont tell her to go around town! plus i charge her 15$ for a 60$ job, showing her favoritism! Oh yea dont for get i help her for free to!

So my question is am i wrong for my views ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,611,492 times
Just give her the gas money and start charging her the full amount for the work you do. She is who she is. She is not you and does not have your same sense of morality. Expecting her to reciprocate your generosity in kind is a waste of energy. If she says something just tel her (or your mom) that you can't afford to do those favors for free or reduced cost anymore because the price of gas is too high.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,861,395 times
I always felt a person is responsible for themselves. I am responsible for my wife and my dog. It's my duty to make sure rent is paid, food in the fridge and cars run, clothes can be purchased bills are paid. That man you spoke with is right. It's nobody else's job to take care of you unless its your husband.

If you do a job for someone then charge whatever you feel is a acceptable fee. If they feel its too high you simply don't do it. Have you actually sat down and written down some goals for yourself? Are you the type who just complains about everyone having things and you don't? Set a goal to get a job. You can bike or take the bus to work. Save money and you can get a car later. YOU are in charge of you. You can either complain how life isn't fair or do something about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships