Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,450 times

Advertisements

Happy Birthday!!

Enjoy your day and don't let them get you down. Appreciate those that remember and don't dwell on the ones that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I've got to say that you can't have it both ways. You say you don't see anything to celebrate and you find them depressing and then you get are in a funk because people aren't celebrating it for you. My hubby said the same thing the first year we were dating. He said " I hate birthdays, I don't want anything for my birthday. No fuss, no party, no gift, nothing". So when his birthday came I gave him exactly what he asked for, no card, no cake, no singing, no gift. He was all mopey the net day. He told his friend that I didn't even give him a card and acted all shocked and hurt. Seriously dude! I gave him EXACTLY what he asked for. Don't play this game. If you claim to not celebrate your birthday, don't expect anyone to be throwing you any surprise parties. They're HONORING YOU WISHES.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
So today was my birthday and I must say it's the most empty birthday I ever had in my life. Normally, I don't care about my birthday, ever since I was 17-18 my birthday has always made me depressed or sad. I just don't understand why people celebrate another year closer to death, doesn't make sense to me (but that's another post). Anyway, I felt like today the only people who showed me any genuine love was my aunt, mother, and one of my uncles. And ofcourse, how could I forget the strangers I haven't spoken to in years wishing me a "HBD" on Facebook *sarcasm*.

One thing i've noticed was most of my really close friends didn't even say Happy Birthday on Facebook, not a call, nor a text, just nothing. My girlfriend is still arguing with me over Valentines Day (stupid story), apparently Valentines Day is more important to her than my birthday. Even coming home, my mom and my uncle said Happy Birthday to me, and I felt like they meant it. My other uncle didn't say a word, he just walked right by me and went out the door, and my brother didn't say anything to me either. My father didn't even call me, not even a text from him smh.

Listen, I appreciate the birthday wishes i've received, really I do. However, even though I don't understand the concept of a birthday, I do understand people take it very personally. So in that case, I feel really hurt that many who claimed to love me didn't wish me well on a day they would want people to wish them well.

Sorry, I just felt like getting this out of my system.

As you said, you yourself don't really understand the concept of celebrating a birthday. So maybe those people who don't wish you a happy birthday are like you (also don't get it). And your friend also (making Valentine's day more important).

So it's a bit ironic that you get hurt by those people who are just like you. (in their belief about the birthdays). Instead of getting hurt by those who are like you, just ignore those who keep wishing you a happy birthday and think to yourself: "oh whatever"... I think you'll be happier.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe the people who love and know you are just being respectful of the fact you are so pessimistic about birthdays.

I don't celebrate my birthday. Not because I have the same negative viewpoint, I just don't. People know this about me so they just don't bother to get me anything and while many will still wish me a happy birthday anyhow, many won't because they know I don't care if they do.

I'm also sure the number of people who say it do because it's such an easy date to remember. If I had a weird date that was easy to forget, I imagine even less people would bother to commit it to memory knowing I don't care about it much myself.

Do you really not understand the concept of "birthdays" or are you having an inner wrestling match with your birthday = having issues dealing with the fact that you, specifically, were born into this world and exist and the life that's developed into?

Last edited by cyberphonics; 02-20-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
I've had very few celebrations for my half-century of birthdays. It just falls at a most inopportune time of year. The last best one I remember was when I was nine. Everyone is just too busy with holidays, hunting, shopping, etc.
If you want a big deal, make your own. Whether it's a very good bottle of wine, a trip, a visit to the spa, a basketball game, whatever starts your motor. Do IT. Take selfies and post them. Invite those few who want to celebrate with you.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Sit down and make a list of all the people that you think should remember your birthday.

Then, jot down the date of their birthday. How many did you know? Did you wish them "happy birthday" on theirs. If so, you deserve a gold medal.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
So today was my birthday and I must say it's the most empty birthday I ever had in my life. Normally, I don't care about my birthday, ever since I was 17-18 my birthday has always made me depressed or sad. I just don't understand why people celebrate another year closer to death, doesn't make sense to me (but that's another post). Anyway, I felt like today the only people who showed me any genuine love was my aunt, mother, and one of my uncles. And ofcourse, how could I forget the strangers I haven't spoken to in years wishing me a "HBD" on Facebook *sarcasm*.

One thing i've noticed was most of my really close friends didn't even say Happy Birthday on Facebook, not a call, nor a text, just nothing. My girlfriend is still arguing with me over Valentines Day (stupid story), apparently Valentines Day is more important to her than my birthday. Even coming home, my mom and my uncle said Happy Birthday to me, and I felt like they meant it. My other uncle didn't say a word, he just walked right by me and went out the door, and my brother didn't say anything to me either. My father didn't even call me, not even a text from him smh.

Listen, I appreciate the birthday wishes i've received, really I do. However, even though I don't understand the concept of a birthday, I do understand people take it very personally. So in that case, I feel really hurt that many who claimed to love me didn't wish me well on a day they would want people to wish them well.

Sorry, I just felt like getting this out of my system.
Believe me... ...the "voluptuous stripper jumping out of a cake" b'day stunt soon gets tiring! Be happy, you had a normal, not-too-exciting birthday! Happy b'day!!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,185 times
Well I wish you a Late Happy Birthday. But please keep in mind in no time your life will be behind you and you can't change it. My advice make the Best of every future day as if it was your last.

brushrunner

Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM

313 posts, read 497,176 times
My birthday was on the 16th, and I wasn't expecting anyone to wish me a happy birthday. I actually forgot to charge my cell phone at all! When I turned it on, I was shocked to see the friends who did wish me a happy birthday. Some really close people to me, my parents, and it did make me feel good.

I am not saying you should do this - but what helped me make my important friendships closer is deactivating facebook. I always hated getting those greetings from people who would never speak to me otherwise. Since deactivating, people in my life are forced to either be my real friend, or be my real acquaintance. Not everyone is a friend anymore, nor should everyone be!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM

358 posts, read 512,568 times
I haven't "celebrated" my birthday in a long time. I don't celebrate holidays at all, really. No sordid details. It's just my way.

But I don't get sad about it either.

It's not another year closer to death.

It's another year keeping out of death's icy grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships