Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 PM

54 posts, read 106,762 times

Advertisements

Lets just say I was young and dumb and racked up over $5,000 in credit card bills-including lending to friends who never paid me back as promised. I am 22, have since lost my job, and had to temporarily move back in with my father and can only find a part-time job as a cashier for minimum wage and limited hours-not nearly enough even with a payment plan. On top of it, my father just announced he's selling the house to move to a small apartment so I'll have to get my own place. I have no problem finding roommates but am getting rejected for apartments due to my debt/ bad credit.

I am running out of options-cant get more hours at work and have no car so my options are limited as to where I can work and have been looking for a second job close by to no avail. My aunt has a good paying career as a Nurse practitioner and her husband has a good job working for the government. She is my only option in my family that is fairly well off and could possibly help me pay off some of the debt. How should I o about asking her for help paying off the debt and what should I say? Obviously I don;t expect the full amount-but really anything would help. Also, I take full responsibilities for my mistakes but I have made changes in my life and will be further able to enhance my future and job opportunities by cleaning up my credit to get my own apartment (with roommates) in the city?

Also- I would really be asking more for a gift than a loan as I doubt I'd be able to pay her back. What should I say to persuade her to help me while remaining diplomatic as her help could really change my life and I've exhausted all my other options.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if you are female.....go visit your aunt one on one, ask her if she ever turned tricks to get out of debt....when she was younger..

if you say this, you dont even have to ask her for the money...
she may offer

Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Such a bad idea! You aunt should not have to pay the price of your bad judgment.
Now, if she is close and offered, that would be different. But to ask her for money - that you admit you will not repay - makes you as bad as the friends you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
Also, I take full responsibilities for my mistakes
Then that includes YOU paying your debt.
Since you have to move anyway, move to a place where you can get a better job, or a second job, and pay it off.

$5000 is really not much in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Get two more part-time jobs.

I did when I was younger.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
That's a letter that should never be written. You need to get a second or third job. I know there was a time when I was in school and working 3 jobs. You made the mess and now you have to clean it up.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
How should you ask? You shouldn't, for the reasons Pitt Chick mentioned. You're young with plenty of working years ahead of you. Get a second job, live below your means, and pay what you owe. If your aunt and uncle have decent jobs, chances are they're saving money... for themselves, for their needs. Pretend you don't know that they may have extra money, it's just not right for you to want some of it just because they can (possibly) afford it.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Question:

Do you have any kind of relationship with your aunt, or do you just think of her when you need something?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I think you got your answer, OP. Go out and make some money however you can--walking dogs, shoveling snow, loading boxes in a warehouse... You are in a hole of your own making and it just takes time and patience to dig out. No short cuts, n'est pas?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM

54 posts, read 106,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
How should you ask? You shouldn't, for the reasons Pitt Chick mentioned. You're young with plenty of working years ahead of you. Get a second job, live below your means, and pay what you owe. If your aunt and uncle have decent jobs, chances are they're saving money... for themselves, for their needs. Pretend you don't know that they may have extra money, it's just not right for you to want some of it just because they can (possibly) afford it.
Wow thanks for the compassion here! Have any of you hit hard times or made a mistake when you were young? As explained in my post, I currently live in an area that has VERY limited public transportation-i enjoy riding the bus but there's no stop near my house and at this rate I could barely afford a bus pass let alone a car! That makes getting a second or third ob very hard as I dont have a ride--and also have applied to many for the heck of it yet no interviews (I have a decent resume).I just need to get out of this rut and then I will be free to start fresh. Her help could change my life, and no, I dont expect or even WANT the entire lump sum from her--just a bit to get these creditors off my back. I'm pretty sure she can afford it. She's bought me and my family nice Christmas gifts before-coach purse, good wine, gourmet chocolates, etc.

Pleas just give me a good persuasive speech or letter I could use for her help. Any bit would help. I might just call her instead of write.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
Wow thanks for the compassion here! Have any of you hit hard times or made a mistake when you were young? As explained in my post, I currently live in an area that has VERY limited public transportation-i enjoy riding the bus but there's no stop near my house and at this rate I could barely afford a bus pass let alone a car! That makes getting a second or third ob very hard as I dont have a ride--and also have applied to many for the heck of it yet no interviews (I have a decent resume).I just need to get out of this rut and then I will be free to start fresh. Her help could change my life, and no, I dont expect or even WANT the entire lump sum from her--just a bit to get these creditors off my back. I'm pretty sure she can afford it. She's bought me and my family nice Christmas gifts before-coach purse, good wine, gourmet chocolates, etc.

Pleas just give me a good persuasive speech or letter I could use for her help. Any bit would help. I might just call her instead of write.
No.

Get a bike. Ebay your Coach purse. Find online work. Babysit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships