Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 AM

35 posts, read 86,157 times

Advertisements

A woman in my office takes every single one of her calls on speaker. Shes about 4 feet away from me so I hear everything. She never closes her door. I try to ignore it with headphones but it’s hard since she is very loud. Anyways, another coworker is currently in the hospital. I knew about this since they were discussing it during break. Everyone was saying it's nothing big. Turns out, shes in ICU with pneumonia. The only reason I know this? This womans mother is calling the supervisor giving her updates. Yesterday, she called and was crying . I didn’t hear why she was crying but why would you put this woman on speaker in a situation like this? No one else was in her office. Sorry to say it really pissed me off.
I'm not eavesdropping but when you have someone loudly sobbing through speaker phone it’s a bit distracting and hard to ignore.

How do I approach her about taking every single one of her calls on speaker? It’s not like she busy while on the phone. Shes sitting in front of the phone and talking directly into it. It’s starting to really become a distraction.

Should I speak to MY boss about this? That call she took with this womans mother was something that really set me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 AM

99,672 posts, read 4,497,941 times
I had the same problem. The woman closed her door when she was quietly doing paperwork and opened the door when she took her speakerphone calls! This including listening to endless voicemail messages.

I discussed it with my supervisor and was allowed to move to another cubicle.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,504,724 times
Definitely I would not speak to your boss about it without nicely attempting to talk to your coworker first. A simple, "Hey, so-and-so, can I ask a favor? Is there any way you could please close the door if you need to put a call on speaker? Sometimes it makes it a little hard for me to focus," would do the trick.

If that doesn't work, you can talk to your boss, but I think to do so without attempting to resolve the issue with your coworker first runs the danger of making you look petty and like the infamous "not a team player."

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM

35 posts, read 86,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I had the same problem. The woman closed her door when she was quietly doing paperwork and opened the door when she took her speakerphone calls! This including listening to endless voicemail messages.

I discussed it with my supervisor and was allowed to move to another cubicle.
I think we are working in the same office and just don’t know it!! Lol I deal with the same thing. She closes her door when shes just sitting around on her computer. but when people come to chit chat, she opens the door and lets everyone listen in on her gossip. I cant move to another cubicle because there arent any available.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,195 times
Take a paperclip, open it up, and stab her phone speaker's cloth over and over and shred it. She will stop.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
PUT AN ANNOYMIS NOT IN HER OFFICE AND SAY

the rest of the office staff does not enjoy listening to your phone calls, they are distracting and annoying. please rectify this.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,612,599 times
Every time she does this just get up and gently close her office door. If she calls you out on this behavior just kindly tell her that it's distracting for others who are working. No need for a confrontation.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Definitely I would not speak to your boss about it without nicely attempting to talk to your coworker first. A simple, "Hey, so-and-so, can I ask a favor? Is there any way you could please close the door if you need to put a call on speaker? Sometimes it makes it a little hard for me to focus," would do the trick.

If that doesn't work, you can talk to your boss, but I think to do so without attempting to resolve the issue with your coworker first runs the danger of making you look petty and like the infamous "not a team player."
Yeah, I'd talk to her first too. Its a pretty simple problem, no biggie really. Just don't have a 'tude when you bring it up with her.

Unless you think she'd be a beyotch about it, in which case let the boss handle it.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,340,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Every time she does this just get up and gently close her office door. If she calls you out on this behavior just kindly tell her that it's distracting for others who are working. No need for a confrontation.
This. When we get overly loud, we shut each others' doors. We have good work relationships, and no one takes offense. In fact, I feel bad when I realize I'm being disruptive.

But I would also just mention it. "Hey, we work in close quarters..it's difficult for me to concentrate, would you mind closing your door?"

Don't stew. She probably does not realize it's bothering you.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,416,531 times
Hi Leigha,
Thank god, I have my own office, the ladies who suggested, politely talking to her first would be my move before you have to take it to another level, it's been my past experience, that when your dealing with a complete ass hat, you have to set them straight, it's the only treatment they know, these ass clowns can't even take a hint until you spell it out to them. Keep the faith and try not to be too much of a Hard Charger, they crumble like cup cakes once you confront them with the issue, lol. Good Luck!!

Knight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships