Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times

Advertisements

Such drama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
On a positive note, the 55+ communities look like they can be fun. I have helped people buy several homes in them - and the ones in Houston have some major amenities and scheduled events that look entertaining.

If it was just the fact that only 55+ can live there - with no further activities, I don't think I would like that at all.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM

99,576 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Don't give your phone number and email address out to the other tenants.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
OP, I loved your post. I have been seriously pondering eventually moving to a 55+ neighborhood. The tv ads make it look so appealing. Thanks for the reality check.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
On a positive note, the 55+ communities look like they can be fun. I have helped people buy several homes in them - and the ones in Houston have some major amenities and scheduled events that look entertaining.

If it was just the fact that only 55+ can live there - with no further activities, I don't think I would like that at all.
If you aren't the type to get sucked in my the trollers, yes, this is true! There is always someone to hang out with here in the community room, and other activities. I'm avoiding most of these right now, until I get my boundary-setting techniques down :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
OP, I loved your post. I have been seriously pondering eventually moving to a 55+ neighborhood. The tv ads make it look so appealing. Thanks for the reality check.
Well, if you're not a sucker like me, it's not a bad place to be. I could never feel lonely here, which is nice. There is a community room and activities. I don't participate often, as I need to work on my anti-troller techniques lol! But, they're there. I did participate in the Thanksgiving potluck and the Christmas lunch. They were very enjoyable. Was nice to not be alone during the holidays. I didn't stay long, but it was nice.

They also have ping pong tournaments, wii tournaments, cribbage club, coffee club, etc. This is a low income senior facility, so it's not fancy - no golfing, etc., but still, you certainly don't ever have to be alone here.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
^^^ this is perhaps the SMARTEST advice so far, besides EAT all your social butterflies at the door with a side of favre beans!!
After hearing your escapades I SURE as hell am not moving into one of those joints!!
5 minutes after moving in, you forgot to tack a jolly roger on the door. ( Skull and crossbones).

Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Hope you will just ignore the rude posts. I agree with others - don't give out your phone number UNTIL you are very comfortable with the neighbor. You have to be prepared to say 'sorry, I can't' unless you feel otherwise. I learned a long time ago that people will treat you the way you allow them to treat you. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
OP: I hate to say this, but there is something in you that is attracting all of these weirdos to you. This doesn't happen to most people. It's beyond bizarre.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM

254 posts, read 406,140 times
I have a theory as to why some people like to make 'blame/discredit the victim' type of posts. I suspect it is because they are users/abusers themselves

Anyway, I'm with you OP. I need to learn to rein in the friendly, myself. Its not easy and seems kind of lonely, but I bet it's less lonely than realizing that the only reason someone wants to see or talk to you is when you are again going out of your way for them simply because they said jump.

I like the suggestion of not doing anything for 'free'. Not that everything should be a tit for tat running tally, but I think it might help weed out the users in the beginning. I'm going to start employing this in my own life

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
I have a theory as to why some people like to make 'blame/discredit the victim' type of posts. I suspect it is because they are users/abusers themselves
Ahh.... I think you have something here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships