Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times

Advertisements

When people find out my age, they are usually shocked.

I usually get a great bunch of compliments related to my natural youthful appearance.

But really now, does anyone really expect anything else from a picklejuice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age? If you don't want to tell them, what do you say? What are some funny sarcastic answers?

By someone I mean random strangers in bars, grocery stores, public events and even acquaintances. (I don't mind telling acquaintances, but random strangers sometimes irritate me.)

Would you continue to associate with someone if they refused to tell you? (I know someone who won't tell me after I told her my age. I don't really care, but I'm curious to get other perspectives.)

tell your age in dog years

if you are 40 ,,,tell them you are 240 yrs old if you were a dog

Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times
I say I'm 29. That seems to be the code for "I'm over 29".

I don't know how people who are ACTUALLY 29 answer that question.

It's not because it's some state secret. What difference does it make how old I am unless I'm buying beer, running for President or applying for Medicare?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
I'm offended unless the person asking has a genuine need to know (my doctor, for example). I see no reason for the majority of people to know, particularly since I think most people could guess my age within a 4-5 year range.

I usually deflect it with a joke about how I stopped keeping track, or "old enough to drink but still too young to retire".

One time, someone kept pressing me after I politely/jokingly refused to answer, until I finally glared and asked "Are you going to demand my social security number and bank account balance, next?"

Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I am 53 and will be 54 in May....

the ONLY time in my life I have been reluctant to reveal my actual age is when I was UNDERAGE trying to buy things or get into places I shouldn't.....

I have NEVER understood people being so uptight about how old they are.... and being so determined to keep it a state secret.....
I'm a retired teacher. One year I was teaching 3rd through 6th grade special education students and the students kept asking my age. I would ignore them or change the subject or say something silly. Finally, after several months I decided to tell the truth. What a mistake! I was about 35 at the time and my age didn't really matter to me. But, when my students kept telling everyone "Ms. G is 35!!!" I really regretted telling them.

The other students, the janitor, the cooks, the milk man, and every single visitor to the classroom----every parent, every new student, observers from other schools, delivery people, everyone was told "Ms. G is 35" as soon as they entered the class room.

I would start to think that the students had forgotten about their amazement that I was 35 then it would start up again. Someone would yell across the cafeteria to another student "Hey, did you know Ms. G is 35!!!" and the students would start making a big deal about my age again. I never figured out if the students thought that 35 was old or 35 was young.

After that I never told another student my real age. If truly pressed I would say that some days I felt like I was 26 and some days I felt that I was 106 at the end of the school day.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
"

A variation is: "A lady never reveals her age or weight."
I guess I'm not a lady, then.

I can't understand why the age question would offend anyone. You are what you are, and you have no control over it, so what's the issue? Not like it's a choice you make that's good or bad.

I guess if you're overweight you might mind people asking how much you weigh because you might interpret it as a criticism, but as a thin person I've always found it kind of funny that no one has ever seemed to mind asking ME.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
Who cares? They'll find out soon enough anyway, whether it be an obit or as they stand over the grave. Age can be subjective. My kids think I'm old as dirt. They are surprised that I love that Lorde song, "Royals," and seem to want to ask if there was electricity when I was their age.

My boss, on the other hand, still calls me "young man.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
Quote:
Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age?...
No.

[42]

Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Do you ever get offended when someone asks your age? If you don't want to tell them, what do you say? What are some funny sarcastic answers?

By someone I mean random strangers in bars, grocery stores, public events and even acquaintances. (I don't mind telling acquaintances, but random strangers sometimes irritate me.)

Would you continue to associate with someone if they refused to tell you? (I know someone who won't tell me after I told her my age. I don't really care, but I'm curious to get other perspectives.)
Americans usually don't ask about another adult's age once one is above college/university age levels. But foreigners often do. I don't mind telling discussing my age with people that I associate with regularly but I feel it would be inappropriate for random strangers to ask me and that doesn't usually happen. On the rare occasion that a random stranger has asked I ignore the question as it is none of their business.

I do associate with a few people that won't tell me their ages even they know how old I am. I can usually guess my associates' approx. age level based on other things I know about their lives and that is good enough for me.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Absolutely no one thinks I look older than I am. I am 22 and I always get asked if I am still in high school. Often, when I buy liquor, people tell me I don't even look old enough to drive. I was offered a kid's menu at a restaurant when I was 18. At Philadelphia International Airport, a guy once asked, "how old are you, young lady?" I said 20 and he looked shocked. He said I didn't look older than 12. Sadly I do not know if this was a joke.

All older people tell me that eventually I will think this is a compliment.
When I was in Florida a few years ago, these cab drivers were teasing me like "are you old enough to rent a cab?" LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships