Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,034,466 times

Advertisements

It happened on Christmas Eve.

During the last minute rush at the grocery store I work at, there was a ton of people. Faces that would just pass through your peripheral without a second thought. I'm a cashier, I'm used to faces blending together and out of mind.

But, there was this woman.....

She looked around my age, maybe slightly younger, like 21ish. She was shapely, and I mean SHAPELY. Her face, perfect, with just a nudge of what you'd expect someone nerdy to be like. When our eyes met, it felt like the oddest connection ever. She was shopping for shrimp with her dad and/or grandfather, it was a Christmas tradition they said. I gave them some tips on shrimp. But, in conversation she seemed to shy away from me a bit, smile, and then talk quietly to me as she left with her family. I got this little nudging in the back of my head. I mean, I'm an attached man already. But it felt kind of spiritual. It was almost like I knew her from somewhere. Or just maybe she was just a special kind of attractive that a guy like me could appreciate.

Not saying that this means anything deeper than what I've said. But it's one of those odd experiences (for me at least) that triggers something, almost like Deja Vu but you never met them before.

Believe it or not, but over the years I've had several encounters like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,751,566 times
I guess I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, if you're in a committed relationship and you're finding yourself having frequent encounters like this you might want to think about adjusting your attitude to be a bit less sensitive and receptive to potential romantic/sexual partners.

On the other hand, the world is full of beautiful people, and as long as you're not acting on it a chance encounter with one of them can be just a pleasant moment in an otherwise drab or hectic day.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

On the other hand, the world is full of beautiful people, and as long as you're not acting on it a chance encounter with one of them can be just a pleasant moment in an otherwise drab or hectic day.
This is what I think also. ^^

One of the times like this, I was walking alone around an international fair at my university. This VERY cute Swedish student named Anders said something to me as we walked up to one of the booths at the same time.

We spent the afternoon walking around the fair, then campus, then went to eat at a place on The Strip. It turned out he lived off campus, and though we could have, we never actually went out. But that one day was perfect as it was.

I went on with my life. I didn't worry for weeks about whether he "liked" me, why he didn't try to get in touch with me, etc. Not that you are doing that ...

Things like this do happen. Take them for what they are.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,127,983 times
FWIW: A gal who believes in reincarnation says these types of encounters happen because it's a soul you knew in another life.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is what I think also. ^^

One of the times like this, I was walking alone around an international fair at my university. This VERY cute Swedish student named Anders said something to me as we walked up to one of the booths at the same time.

We spent the afternoon walking around the fair, then campus, then went to eat at a place on The Strip. It turned out he lived off campus, and though we could have, we never actually went out. But that one day was perfect as it was.

I went on with my life. I didn't worry for weeks about whether he "liked" me, why he didn't try to get in touch with me, etc. Not that you are doing that ...

Things like this do happen. Take them for what they are.
Exactly. It was a pleasant experience. And I'm sure nothing will come of it. Doesn't take away from the surreal moment it was.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,054,014 times
Walter Smitty.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,810,345 times
Not to long ago, I was waiting in a check-out line when the very young, pregnant lady in front of me dropped her back pack. Her husband/boyfriend, who was with her, was well over 6 feet and in good shape. He just stood there looking at her as she started to bend over, obviously having trouble keeping herself from falling. So, i quickly (as I could; I'm 70) moved in front of her and picked up her backpack and helped her up. She smiled at me in a thankful sort of way and squeezed my arm, as I helped her up. The guy didn't move a muscle. When I handed her her back pack, she said, "i wish there were more men like you around".

Oh to be young again, but her gratitude was enough to make my day.

And, yes, I am married and very happy.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
FWIW: A gal who believes in reincarnation says these types of encounters happen because it's a soul you knew in another life.
I don't put much stock into past lives.

But, say genetic memory, or maybe sometime a really long time ago on a day you don't remember you saw this person at a passing glance. Possibly.

Although the idea of past lives seems fun though.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
I felt that way with John on our first date. I knew then and there that I would marry him.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,461,696 times
then i saw her face, now i'm a believer, without a trace, or doubt in my mind

met my old lover in the grocery store, the snow was falling christmas eve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships