Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,735,043 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who I ceased communicating with about a year ago. We had been friends for many years but she was just so overbearing and thought she knew what is best for everyone, what is best for their children, how to raise their children (even though she has none of her own), and what is best for every family. She would steamroll everyone --- including businesspeople, etc. They would only tolerate her because she is a customer and they don't want to lose her business.

Anyway, one day, she just went much too far into my business and created a very bad situation for me AND made me look like a complete asss in the process AND revealed some of my personal information to a third party when she never should have done so. Right after this happened, I completely cut off all communication with her. I haven't called her, haven't taken any of her calls, etc. I just cold stopped speaking with her at all.

Here is the problem: As I stated earlier, I haven't had contact with her for a year. However, I STILL have anger toward her over what she did to me and how she made me look foolish and violated my privacy. Since it's going to be a new year, I was thinking of writing her a letter and letting her know how I feel. BY NO MEANS DO I WANT TO REVIVE OUR FRIENDSHIP. I will never speak to this person again but I do want to get my thoughts and feelings on what she did to me out in the open and let her know how much she hurt me and how she hurts others with her steamrolling and overbearing personality.

Thoughts? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,640,741 times
My first thought would be, "why"? What is your objective? What result would you be looking for, what outcome?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,498,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I had a friend who I ceased communicating with about a year ago. We had been friends for many years but she was just so overbearing and thought she knew what is best for everyone, what is best for their children, how to raise their children (even though she has none of her own), and what is best for every family. She would steamroll everyone --- including businesspeople, etc. They would only tolerate her because she is a customer and they don't want to lose her business.

Anyway, one day, she just went much too far into my business and created a very bad situation for me AND made me look like a complete asss in the process AND revealed some of my personal information to a third party when she never should have done so. Right after this happened, I completely cut off all communication with her. I haven't called her, haven't taken any of her calls, etc. I just cold stopped speaking with her at all.

Here is the problem: As I stated earlier, I haven't had contact with her for a year. However, I STILL have anger toward her over what she did to me and how she made me look foolish and violated my privacy. Since it's going to be a new year, I was thinking of writing her a letter and letting her know how I feel. BY NO MEANS DO I WANT TO REVIVE OUR FRIENDSHIP. I will never speak to this person again but I do want to get my thoughts and feelings on what she did to me out in the open and let her know how much she hurt me and how she hurts others with her steamrolling and overbearing personality.

Thoughts? Advice?
Write a letter with all of your feelings, then rip it up and throw it away. Let it goooo, it has been a year. You are only opening a can of worms by contacting her again. She knows what she did, she knows you are pi$$ed, she knows you have cut off the friendship and will probably not revive it, no more than that needed.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
My first thought would be, "why"? What is your objective? What result would you be looking for, what outcome?

The only result/outcome I am looking for is to 1. let her know how much she hurt and embarrassed me and 2. to try and make her be aware of how her actions constantly hurt and embarrass and demean other people.

She truly does not 'get' how much she hurts other people with her controlling and overbearing behavior. She thinks people like and appreciate it!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Write a letter with all of your feelings, then rip it up and throw it away. Let it goooo, it has been a year. You are only opening a can of worms by contacting her again. She knows what she did, she knows you are pi$$ed, she knows you have cut off the friendship and will probably not revive it, no more than that needed.

I thought about doing this, too, but I actually want her to KNOW that what she does to other people is not acceptable and what she did to me hurt me in so many ways. She just doesn't get it and thinks she is right in what she does.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
I will also advise you to write the letter and BURN it, then read this quote by Carrie Fisher:

"Holding on to a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."

Do not contact her. You will not change her, and even telling her how much she hurt you will be like ripping the scab off an almost-healed wound.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM

22,617 posts, read 47,750,325 times
I agree. You will NOT feel better by sending the letter.
You need to forgive her and move on.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,059,982 times
You are making an assumption: that she will read your letter, and maybe learn from it. But, she could just as easily take offense, and go on the offensive---inundating you with letters, calls, etc., so she could tell YOU how you have now, out of the blue, offended her.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You are making an assumption: that she will read your letter, and maybe learn from it. But, she could just as easily take offense, and go on the offensive---inundating you with letters, calls, etc., so she could tell YOU how you have now, out of the blue, offended her.
This ^^.

People who get to be your friend's age and operate the way you explained do not just read a letter and say, "Wow, do I have some work to do! Thanks for the enlightening explanation of how I've wronged you, and let me start by telling you how sorry I am!"

You will open yourself up for MORE pain by sending the letter.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Got it. I think all of you guys are right. I won't send her the letter. It would be pointless. Even when I would TELL her, she never "got" it and said people LOVE and APPRECIATE her "helping" them. Sick.

Oh well.

I'll write the letter and maybe just tie it to a balloon and let it fly away! Or maybe just shred it or burn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships