Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,232,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How to press domestic violence charges if cops don't answer 911 call, don't show up at all, and an abused party couldn't make it to a station to file a report shortly after an incident, or the next day for that matter because she was talked out of it?
You go down to a station and you fill out paperwork with someone there for stalking and something else on the form. A pedestrian from the county prosecutor's office will come to the house of the person you've filed against and serve them with papers which include a court date. So, you go through that and if the judge grants your requested on no contact it will be for 2 years is the standard. Yes, you do have to face the other person in court.

He broke this period by calling me and hanging up and we are talking about a 50 year old man. I made two reports to the police, but police do not typically go out looking for these types of offenders even if there is a warrant for their arrest. They catch them if they are pulled over for a different traffic violation like running a red light or speeding and they run your license. He was handcuffed on the side of a busy street with his mama in the car. This was for the filings I did a year earlier. He was taken to the police station, booked, mugshot and taken to his cell for a night or two.

I left semi relieved and then discovered this jacknut waited until the very day the cease and desist order had passed and actually had the balls to keep calling and hanging up on me. Surprise jackass! The telephone company you have - call them about 'call trace' it's not caller ID. They give you a code number to insert into the phone even after they hang up and it will say "This call was successfully traced". It can even be unlisted numbers. You mark down the time and date each one. After you've collected so many take them to the police station and they will contact the phone company and then get the exact numbers I was getting the calls from....no surprise there.

If you are still in eminent danger- take the list of calls to the police department. An Attorney should be involved at this time. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he was busted calling me and hanging up.

But the bottom line is there is a wealth of safe houses, battered women's shelter and programs available to you so you are not obligated to stay with him - unless you want to if you were talked out of it.

So, you've been in a crappy situation - but there are things you can to move on from this. If you keep going back or withdraw your claim - scary things can happen to you included assult leading to death. If you can't get a peep out of the police when you need it - call the county administrator and tell them what is happening and they may have other assistance programs.

Based on your thread post you say he's domestically abusive and then turns around and just goes ballistic and treats you like crap or worse. You need community services to deal with this. If you keep going back..all I can say is you are not doing enough to help yourself and the more you do that the less likey police will take your calls seriously and not fit you in.

I helped a recent distant relative in the same boat and I said the first thing you do is toss your cellphone in the nearest dumpster or mailbox- her's had a gps tracker on it. Yep, ripped it from her hands and tossed it in a sidewalk dumpster...let's watch him keep track of it now. You find a safe house when things are good so it's available when you are not. This could be a hospital a rescue crisis center and other such programs available to you or your best friend, or their parents, your own family as well.

The other thing you need to know when it comes to domestic violence, you go weak and say 'no more' but then change your mind after involving these people they will begin to look at you as a crank. There are plenty of programs in your city if you look them up or call your doctor for a list of them.

Also have a friend take the pictures after his rampant behavior - it says, "I'm done dealing with your crap."

Bottom line it's calling an attorney with all this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,055,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Not funny
Definitely not funny, but not bad advice either.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,242,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Make sure she actually calls 911 next time instead of just tells you she did. If she insists she did, I'd have her contact the non-emergency number for the police dept. to see if it goes through and ask why 911 didn't answer at the time she called. She probably won't though.
Agreed, and how did this happen? Never in a million years have I heard of a DV coming into 911 and police refusing to go. This is a violation of one of the most basic policies we learn as 911 operators. More likely, she is fibbing about whether she called or not (this is not an uncommon occurrence)

To answer your question, she can report at ANY time within the SOL but these are very hard to prosecute within immediate evidence (and even with).

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM

887 posts, read 1,102,251 times
If this isn't BS, I'd get the local news involved, but I am skeptical that the police just didn't show up

Old 12-23-2013, 09:27 PM

3,776 posts, read 4,126,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
911 not answering a call? You have had a similar thread in Legal Immigration. Are you still trying to stir the pot?

Still trying to stir the pot? Dialing 911 and not getting an answer is a pot that needs to be stirred. I have seen it happen many times; it happened once to me. I don't know where you all live, maybe Mayberry?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,584,780 times
As a former 911 operator, every 911 call gets answered, officers are dispatched, and contact is made with the parties at the household no matter the reason for the call. If it was bogus, they find out why and give them a talking to. If it is a real call - appropriate actions are done in response to the type of call. Even hang-up calls are responded to. If you are no putting out a line of BS here - and you are truthfully saying your call was not answered by all means contact the department and speak with the highest ranking officer there and tell them about it. They can easily find out if what you are saying is true. ALL 911 calls are recorded - and if a call was made and no response happened - there could be some serious repercussions to the department. If you are making this up - and you claim you call and nothing happened or nobody responded, or you make false calls when there is no reason to - then the crap all rolls onto you - and you better get your story straight because you will be answering a LOT of questions. You ever see those stories on the news where dispatchers mess up and don't send someone in time, or to the wrong house, or something really wrong is done and a civilian is seriously hurt or is killed - you know those departments probably get sued. This is a very serious allegation you are making - you don't just say sorry, or oops and it goes away. Also, in actual DV cases where there is undeniable evidence of abuse if the victim doesn't want to press charges the department can and will - the abuser is going to jail whether the victim changes their mind or not. I saw both males and females as the victims - it is not always the man who beats the woman - but most of the time it is. Cops don't just look the other way any more. This is serious stuff.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times
30+ years ago one of my siblings called 911 and screamed, "The Russians are invading." Less than 10 seconds later, the 911 operator called back and gave her a lecture. I lived in a rural area and we were told the sheriff would show up next time to speak to our parents. So even 30 years ago 911 answered the phone in a rural area!

Find it hard to believe that 1) the police didn't show up, 2) 911 didn't answer the phone, 3) in 2 days someone didn't have time to wander on down to the local police department to fill out some paperwork. If you want to file a police report, they've made it about as simple as simple can be, but you have to get off your duff and DO it!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,177,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How to press domestic violence charges if cops don't answer 911 call, don't show up at all, and an abused party couldn't make it to a station to file a report shortly after an incident, or the next day for that matter because she was talked out of it?
#1. Get a concealed carry permit.

#2. If the police didn't respond, call their Internal Affairs Department, and then call the state Bureau of Investigation, or the local office of the FBI. Also, call the local TV news stations, in order to help pressure the police department - they'd LOVE to break a story like this.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,013,942 times
All 911 calls are automatic record.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,232,135 times
Side note to laundry list above in my previous post. Photographs. When I mentioned photos they are to be taken of yourself if there are bruises or contusions on your face and body. Anything he's broken and destroyed in your home. The key here is they must be Polaroids to be of any use, because you can't alter or photoshop a polorid. If you don't have one - get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships