Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Christmas, I will be:
With extended family or friends enjoying myself 31 22.79%
With just my immediate family 42 30.88%
With just my spouse or SO 20 14.71%
All alone, I have no one to spend the day with 43 31.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,808,371 times

Advertisements

I see lots of social losers at various holiday celebrations but no one will talk to them. They are around people but totally isolated. It's like being a nerd sitting in a frat party.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,091,392 times
You can always go to a bar at Christmas time.

Bar owners will always tell you that the biggest time for lonely strangers to come in a bar is this time of year. I guess they feel they should try to have fun but only sit there looking more and more lonely.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,670,519 times
Changes happen. That's sad, but we only get stuck and depressed if we allow ourselves to get into a rut where we will only be happy if things are one way and refuse to find reasonable compromises. For example:

- Some people I know who are going to be alone at Christmas (and it's going to bother them) take trips out of the country, often to somewhere warm where there are lots of activities.

- Others either volunteer with Meals on Wheels to take Christmas dinners to shut ins or work at church programs serving a Christmas dinner to the homeless.

- Until recently, I generally had to work on holidays. The overtime was nice and the work kept me away from family dramas that got worse with each passing year.

Yes, some people who celebrate Christmas either had or now have dysfunctional families. It's really sad, but with some planning and mental rewiring, this sad situation can be made more positive. You can't change family members, but you can put yourself in more positive situations.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,071,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You can always go to a bar at Christmas time.

Bar owners will always tell you that the biggest time for lonely strangers to come in a bar is this time of year. I guess they feel they should try to have fun but only sit there looking more and more lonely.

I've tended bar on Christmas night and it's usually really fun. Some people come alone--I've primarily worked in NYC and Boston, two very transient cities--and many people come in groups, either as part of their holiday celebrations or to escape family/in-law time. Obviously location and type of place matters, but it's usually a festive, fun atmosphere and frankly, a lucrative night for people working. The image of a bunch of lonely old men staring at their pint just isn't my reality.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,886,005 times
Before getting married, I spent a number of Christmases alone, by choice. My parents and siblings always end up fighting and yelling so I hated spending the day with them. Alone, I never felt lonely or isolated, I felt happy and peaceful and could go to church and focus on the real meaning of Christmas. Sometimes I did invite people over for dinner. That was fun too.

Not everyone that is alone is lonely.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,827,377 times
Why am I not seeing all these desperate and lonely people? Methinks you're projecting. Go volunteer somewhere and get out of yourself.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,948,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My extended family has ostracized me and my wife for not bailing out my sister who has not worked for years. They will not help her because they are all broke, but expect me to help her because we have money.

Just like on Thanksgiving we will be spending time with my wife's family where there will be little conversation and nearly everyone will spend their time looking at their SmartPhone.
I'd venture to hazard a wild guess that your being ostracized has far less to do with your not financially helping out your sister than with your judgmental and highly critical persona which runs very clear in every thread you start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go volunteer somewhere and get out of yourself.
Good thought. Rather than spend a desultory and meaningless Christmas dinner with relatives you despise, go to a homeless shelter (even home-cook a couple of turkeys with trimmings to contribute). Your relatives will understand your desire to bring the holiday spirit to the needy and may even enjoy their dinner without you.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,863,701 times
We will be off Christmas Eve for the first time in over ten years. I was planning a romantic champagne filled candle lit night with just the two of us between the sheets,.....but.....I have a friend that has no one in her life and no place to go for the holidays. She was with us on Thanksgiving and she will be with us on Christmas Eve. I will be working Christmas day. John is retired so he will be spending Christmas day alone because he won't go to our friends house without me.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,091,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've tended bar on Christmas night and it's usually really fun. Some people come alone--I've primarily worked in NYC and Boston, two very transient cities--and many people come in groups, either as part of their holiday celebrations or to escape family/in-law time. Obviously location and type of place matters, but it's usually a festive, fun atmosphere and frankly, a lucrative night for people working. The image of a bunch of lonely old men staring at their pint just isn't my reality.
Perhaps your reality is a trendier, younger, more upscale environment and not the local gin mill. My friends owned local taverns and the holiday mornings and evenings were often busy. But there always was the lonely guys, who never really came into bars, showing up to make themselves feel they arent alone...but they really were.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,710,559 times
there was recently a story on a woman who offered to pay someone to pretend to be her family on christmas

Lonely Woman Uses Craigslist to Rent a Family for the Holidays | The Stir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships