Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times

Advertisements

Like say you've met someone randomly somewhere and get into a conversation, and say you might like this person, but you somehow feel awkward prolonging the conversation too long or feel you're imposing, or you might not know exactly what to say, so you quickly say, 'oh I have to go' or make an excuse, and later regret it? Has that ever happened to you? I sometimes feel if I'm talking to an attractive girl, or an interesting person, it could be a chance to get to know this person, assuming that they have the time etc to spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 AM

624 posts, read 940,017 times
I have kicked myself for cutting short a conversation for the reasons you describe many times. I guess I must be just insecure enough to feel like I may be imposing on someone's time or that they may not be enjoying the exchange as much as I am. I can be clumsy with social etiquette at times and prefer in the moment to err on the side of caution. I have sometimes wondered later if I screwed myself out of a potentially cool friendship by my decision.

Another case where cutting a conversation short has been a regret later on is when I had more information to impart to someone I know but decided to wait till another time, for some reason. Sometimes you only have one chance, and incomplete information can cause myriad problems, practical and personal. I especially regret it when I do this out of general sheepishness or fear. My holding back doesn't always save me from negative consequences. Sometimes it makes things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships