Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,414,540 times

Advertisements

Okay there are the MLMers. You know, the people who think it perfectly acceptable to use any social occasion or contact as the Comstock Lode in order to score sales. But I just encountered a new twist today.

I have a professional contact, someone with whom I've had occasional business dealings with over the past several years, who has given her contact list to an e-mail marketer, my information among them. I learned this when I started getting spam from assorted businesses like a solar power contractor, etc. When I went to unsubscribe, I got the message "Do you wish to block all e-mails from [NAME]'s contact list?"

So I e-mailed her, thinking she had been phished or something, only to get a response of, "No, I did this on my own." As in she didn't really think much of having done so.

Holy cow, I was ticked off. Right or wrong for me to feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,274,189 times
No, not wrong at all. I'd have told her that I do not want my information floating around out there and ask her to go back and remove my name from all the lists that she's selling to the spammers. She has no right to give out your information like that without asking you first.

I'd also consider not doing any further business with her. If you can replace her as a client/contact, that's what I would do.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM

256 posts, read 482,636 times
Did she tell you she gave her contacts to marketing company?
Because it could've been that her e-mail got hacked into or infected and the bug collected all of her e-mail contacts.
Or she gave access to her contacts to some social media with permission to contact her friends on her behalf.
In any case, I would unsubscribe and e-mail her about it, chances are she has no clue that her e-mail contacts are bombarded with advertisements.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 11,555,039 times
I have had it happen and cut the umbilical cord.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM

52,556 posts, read 53,143,199 times
That was beyond rude of her to do that.

IMHO of course.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:13 PM

262 posts, read 205,044 times
Unfortunately, your information is worth just about nothing nowadays. Your best course of action is have multiple email accounts and at least two different phone numbers. You can’t give the important number and the important email out to everyone. It’s sad but, there are too many hackers out there that are going to get your stuff even if you do this and everything other possible precaution

Old 06-03-2018, 12:05 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,637,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
Did she tell you she gave her contacts to marketing company?
Because it could've been that her e-mail got hacked into or infected and the bug collected all of her e-mail contacts.
Or she gave access to her contacts to some social media with permission to contact her friends on her behalf.
In any case, I would unsubscribe and e-mail her about it, chances are she has no clue that her e-mail contacts are bombarded with advertisements.
You didn't read the original post, did you?

OP, I would be furious. That was totally out of line. I would never share anyone's contact information without their permission.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,359,920 times
I've had other parents try to add me to their contacts as part of their money making endeavors. I don't tolerate that well. Those people get sent down the road pretty quick. Your coworker is very rude. Unlike you, I can afford to make them mad if the need arises. You need to stay on better terms. i would change my email address and purposely forget to tell her.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:48 PM

10,527 posts, read 7,172,788 times
That's bad. But I think MLMers are among the worst forms of humanity. If you want to start a business, start a real-deal business rather than this faux one where you manipulate your family and friends. Cut it out.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,488,347 times
I used to have a friend heavily into MLMs and she passed out my personal information like crazy, giving it to all her other friends in MLMs; they would call me, pester me, spam email me and everything. I still get their garbage sometimes in my mailbox. Spamming doesn't really generate business because most of them are operating within a heavily saturated market. I can buy MLM stuff on Ebay for less money. Almost everything sold through an MLM can be found on Ebay, online garage sales, amazon or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships