Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,705,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Yeah, I agree with the others. However, IF it were to become a group only for ladies, then I would understand you being annoyed and disappointed. If its just a one time or every so often thing, there's nothing to be upset about. If you want to hangout with anyone, just hit them up individually or in a group.
I am not going there just for ladies, however, I don't like groups to be all one gender,but now I think I am starting to change my mind. I really don't need the drama or bs. I am not really good with talking to people here, I guess it's a handup of mine that I think most people here are discriminatory by nature. I hear racial jokes once a week only because I stopped hanging out with people in general, if not it would be more. I am open minded and I would like others to be so as well. For a group that is supposed to have intellectualism at it's core base, I would figure that they would be mostly open minded, I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
She's probably also annoyed that you said "discriminatory". Let it be what it is, you're kind of blowing things out of proportion. Not that her response was kind but still, let them have a girls night. All girls want a girls night at some point.
It is discriminatory. I won't take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't think the "girls only" aspect of it is so bad, but the tone of the write-up is a little insulting, with the "sausage fest" reference.

From now on, they should create an offshoot meet-up group, though, and not keep advertising events through the original group IMHO.
See, and that is what got me, I mean wow, she's talking sausage fest when shes dated and/or hooked up with 4 people in the group already. We are texting back and forth right now, it's not looking good, she is basically saying that I "can't handle her" I mean why would I want to deal with a woman thats going to be a b****? I mean I have met other women that are not only more attractive, but don't act like that, like I told her, it looks like you have some chip on your shoulder that I am not going to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What a ! That answer says a lot about her.

This group does seem to cause you a lot of grief. Maybe try some other meetup groups?
Thanks, I thought I was the only one that thought that. My friend wants to go to the triva game, I may or may not go, but I think after this, I'm out, and they can forget ever having a party here again. They just keep doing the same events anyway, even though its 124 people, only like 20 regularly participate.

I do have one question though, she said that since i had an issue with it, that said a lot about me, what is she trying to say? That I am insecure or something?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
It doesn't matter. You should stop texting her back and forth. No one wins a pissing contest.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,445,842 times
It sounds like both of you are acting very immature about something that is not a big deal. Sometimes women like to get together with just other women, especially if they are part of a group/have interests that are generally dominated by men. Your very reactions are misogynistic and women have to deal with that *every day* but especially in "nerd" culture (I speak from experience).

Maybe they should have set up a women's night privately, but making a big deal out of it is silly.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
It sounds like both of you are acting very immature about something that is not a big deal. Sometimes women like to get together with just other women, especially if they are part of a group/have interests that are generally dominated by men. Your very reactions are misogynistic and women have to deal with that *every day* but especially in "nerd" culture (I speak from experience).

Maybe they should have set up a women's night privately, but making a big deal out of it is silly.
I guess what I don't understand is why is ok for them to do this...and not us? That seems kinda hypocritical. I mean i can't control what other men do, I can only control what I do. As of writing this, she has now gone out with 4 of 5 guys now from the group. I had a bad feeling from day one about this chick, it's not getting any better. I mean if girls want to hang out, i don't care, but the purpose of the group is to hang out with EVERYONE if you make an event, not just certain people. If you want to do that, then I think setting it up privately would be the best way to go.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 AM

Who's "us"? There are Men's Groups, Black Professional groups, Christian Women's organizations, Asian-American groups.

Your language - whether you recognize it or not - is tinged with sexism (chick, *****, girl, etc.) and that seems to be coloring your opinion.

I think you should stop making a big deal out of it.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post

What do you guys(and girls) think?
Start your own Meetup group.

[tell the others in the current group about it and invite them to join]

Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Start your own Meetup group.

[tell the others in the current group about it and invite them to join]

You know that's a really good idea, and it did cross my mind, unfortunately, I don't know if I will be able to devote the time needed to run such an endevor as I will be probably working full time and in school full time in August, but it was a good idea!!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I mean us as in the just the men in the group...and sexism really? just because i said girl and yeah i said *****, she called me an ass and what? you are being very hypocritical, do me a favor and let other people post who might actually post something relevant instead of attacking the poster for asking just a simple, honest question.
As I said, your posts are tinged with sexism and you clearly can't or don't want to see it.

You asked an honest question and got an honest answer. Deal.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,900,308 times
Quote:
Ok, so I joined up a meetup group about 5 months ago with the aspirations to meet new people and make new friends. I live in a rural part of my state and I was hoping to meet like minded individuals. I was excited because it's based off of mostly nerdy things(think: anime, videogames etc). Well the group grew from just a few people to over 100 in record time. I had surgery a month ago, and I have been kinda cooped up in the house so I went to meetup.com, to see if there was something that my group was doing and I had noticed that the group leader made his FBuddy one of the group organizers which means they can make up events...well the first event is at a restaurant that I liked and then I read the title and I realized that I could not go because it is a WOMAN'S ONLY event that she made up. This is what it said:

As the title says this is a LADIES ONLY event. We will enjoy some good food and drinks with out the sausage fest crowding us. Maybe after go hit up a club. I'd like to go over some ideas for future girls only events places each of ya'll like or would like to check out, your opinions are gonna be greatly needed. All in all lets just have fun the ways only girls can

Ok so I read this and I don't know why, but it kinda pissed me off. In a group that is mostly 90-95% obviously male, you do this??? I mean, the guys are in the majority, but I don't think that it would be ok to put MEN ONLY groups up either. I think its kinda discriminatory because if you take out the woman part and put black, asian, white, hispanic, then that's just racist. Maybe i am over thinking this, but it kinda erked me, so I texted her, hoping she would open up and talk to me because if guys are being "too desperate" then that is something that needs to be addressed. She never texted back. I mean there is like 124 people to be exact and now I can't go to an event beause I am a guy? I did write a response saying that I thought the point of the meetup group was to meet people and to include EVERYONE and not just a select few. What do you guys(and girls) think?
Just because they arrange one ladies night doesn't mean every event will be the same. As long as they also continue to organize events for everyone, I don't see anything wrong with it. Are the group leaders the only ones who can organize a get together? If not, why don't you just arrange a different meet up for everyone/only the guys? There's really nothing wrong with having a "ladies night" or "girls night out" just as there's nothing wrong with have a "guys night out". There's no need to get your panties in a bunch over it, if it's not for you, arrange something that is.

If they start making every event a ladies night, then you have the right to object but as it stands now, you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Quote:
I also felt that if we were to do that as men, that they ladies wouldn't like that too much.
When the guys are the vast majority of the group, I don't think there is a need to arrange a "guys night" because, well, every event is kind of already a guys night - however, I wouldn't object to it. Equally, if the women were in the majority, I wouldn't see the point of a girls night. And if the guys were in the minority or if it was closer to 50/50, I wouldn't see anything wrong with a guys night.

So I don't think it's fair to be making such assumptions about women.

Quote:
See, and that is what got me, I mean wow, she's talking sausage fest when shes dated and/or hooked up with 4 people in the group already. We are texting back and forth right now, it's not looking good, she is basically saying that I "can't handle her" I mean why would I want to deal with a woman thats going to be a b****? I mean I have met other women that are not only more attractive, but don't act like that, like I told her, it looks like you have some chip on your shoulder that I am not going to deal with.
Frankly, it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder too. It doesn't matter what her behavior is like, it's got nothing to do with whether women are entitled to have a ladies night or not.

Quote:
I think it was disappointment since I saw the place and thought that I could go and eat there and then I saw it was a women only thing and I got disappointed.
So basically, this is all just a knee-jerk reaction because you got excited about the location and then disappointed when you realized you weren't invited. Seriously... get over it.

Quote:
This area just seems to attract hate filled people...honestly, maybe I should just give up on trying to make friends.
Or maybe you need to ask yourself why it is so difficult for you to make friends? Think about it, YOU are the common denominator - maybe you need to consider that it's YOUR attitude and behavior which is making it difficult to make friends. Maybe you need to consider making some changes about yourself.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,841 times
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships