Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with this?
And more important, do you believe it is worth ending a relationship over?

I think when someone leaves you with a distinct impression/feeling, they have shown you who they are. There are people who have made me feel a certain way at some point in the past, and I haven't been able to look at them the same way since. We may have good times, we may get along, but yes.... for me it IS a deal-breaker on ever being close. Sad to say.
Or if we were close at some point in the past, we will be no longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Short answer: Yes.

Frank Luntz LuntzGlobal.com - It's not what you say, it's what they hear - Home talks a lot about this very thing. He states in his books that it's not necessarily what you say, it's what people hear, which can be two entirely different things! Communication is a fine art that is not practiced well enough these days.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
I can forgive people, but not forget, so I guess that goes on the same guide lines as I cannot forget how they made me feel!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Do you agree with this?

I think when someone leaves you with a distinct impression/feeling, they have shown you who they are. There are people who have made me feel a certain way at some point in the past, and I haven't been able to look at them the same way since. We may have good times, we may get along, but yes.... for me it IS a deal-breaker on ever being close. Sad to say.
I think you're spot on with this post.

I think in general it applies to most situations, not just romantic relationships......

Old 07-04-2013, 02:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Do you agree with this?

Yes, Maya Angelou has a saying "when people show themselves to you believe them".

Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I have a tendency to remember things, but that's probably not the case for most people. So yes, that may be right for other people.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Do you agree with this?

I agree, because if a person mistreats you, that act can trigger deep seated feelings from your childhood or from past trauma. It's like touching scar tissue, perhaps healed but still sensitive to the touch (or the jab!)

And one can forgive, but may be far less likely to trust the person who caused them this kind of pain again. To say whether it is worth ending a relationship over, I would suppose that is up to the injured party to decide. It seems very callous for the person to inflicted the wound/or the pain to summarize the severity of it, but it is entirely understandable, a human inclination to minimize the pain we cause others, because we feel guilty about hurting them. Understandable, but still rather thoughtless and callous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships