Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,296 times

Advertisements

Cliff notes of what happened I was having dinner with my family and we laughing and having some nice discussions. My uncle was talking about his grandson and it was a generally conversation about all of my little cousins who I would baby sit a lot. I made a joke that I wanted daughters because taking care of my girl cousins was less stressful than taking care of my boy cousins though I stil love them all the same.

My uncle replied that who would carry on my name and I replied that he can take her last name.

Afterwards my mom told me that I can come off as stuck up to people when I do that. I know me and the "status quo" are not best buds but I really try not to come off like that.

You think sometimes coming off as stuck up just can't really be avoided. Me personally I know I could of come
off as much worse than I did.

Anyone else has had an experience like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
I guess so, if "stuck up" means you can't do anything the conventional way, which is not really how I define it.

I think it's weird that THAT was your uncle's response.

Your answer just embarrassed your mom.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,152,594 times
Yeah, it just embarrassed mom. You made a comment that was not to their liking or did not fit a "conventional" standard like Wmsn4Life said. Just chalk it up to a moment and enjoy the next outing.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Doesn't strike me as stuck-up or at all odd or embarrassing. To me it's just normal conversation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,606,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Yeah, it just embarrassed mom. You made a comment that was not to their liking or did not fit a "conventional" standard like Wmsn4Life said. Just chalk it up to a moment and enjoy the next outing.
^^^This. (And, BTW, it was your mom's weird moment. Has nothing at all to do with how your uncle might have perceived the moment.)

Old 05-12-2013, 01:10 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,326,682 times
Your mom didn't like your answer and is being passive aggressive by using guilt trip

Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 AM

159 posts, read 83,033 times
Agreed. Your mom might know it's useless to tell you "don't say unconventional things" so, being human, she'd subconsciously go for a weak point. That the "stuck up" comment bothered you, is evident by your posting about it in the forum, so perhaps she's already noticed it's a sensitive point for you.

I used to get called 'stuck up' too, from being too shy to greet people properly as a kid. That stung! I was no such thing. (I hope lol)

Anyhow, I like your thinking. I kept my married name during the divorce so that the kids and I would match as they grew up, but as soon as the youngest is out the door Ima change it back!!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,559,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Cliff notes of what happened I was having dinner with my family and we laughing and having some nice discussions. My uncle was talking about his grandson and it was a generally conversation about all of my little cousins who I would baby sit a lot. I made a joke that I wanted daughters because taking care of my girl cousins was less stressful than taking care of my boy cousins though I stil love them all the same.

My uncle replied that who would carry on my name and I replied that he can take her last name.

Afterwards my mom told me that I can come off as stuck up to people when I do that. I know me and the "status quo" are not best buds but I really try not to come off like that.

You think sometimes coming off as stuck up just can't really be avoided. Me personally I know I could of come
off as much worse than I did.

Anyone else has had an experience like that.
Stuck up is in the eye of the beholder. People with inferiority issues will see that everywhere. I have a family member who is a great example. I love her to pieces but she has issues with people who have money and live the lifestyle their money brings them. They are stuck up to her. She also worries about what other people think, a lot. I hear "La gente se piensan...(people will think....)." several times a day when I am with her. It's sad. But it is her reality. I don't give too much weight to that sort of thing. I know my intentions, no one can tell me any differently. Well, they can try, but I'm not going to be a slave to others' perceptions.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
I think your mom is wrong..you wouldn't come off as stuck up to most people...not at all..You're right, a girl could keep her last name, or even both last names..I've always hated that people feel that only a son can keep the name going....ridiculous really (unless it's an extremely different name), I mean look in the phonebook...chances are you share the same last name with a whole bunch of other people.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,788 times
My definition of stuck up is someone who is overly conceited and/or arrogant. Your response to the discussion sounds like neither.

Unconventional does not = stuck up. Unless you somehow make it known that your way is obviously better than any other way, and make it known that you feel you are superior to others for your way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships