Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM

434 posts, read 1,020,116 times

Advertisements

As soon as I read:

This whole situation is really affecting my life, Im making more mistakes at work due to being completely exhausted, I no longer go out on the weekends because I feel sick and I just stay in bed.

I felt certain: it's time to move. I agree with Tomlcsc that a fan could help, but nothing you've written makes me optimistic that you'll solve this problem by staying put. Your health and day-to-day happiness are too important. I'd start looking for another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
As soon as I read:

This whole situation is really affecting my life, Im making more mistakes at work due to being completely exhausted, I no longer go out on the weekends because I feel sick and I just stay in bed.

I felt certain: it's time to move. I agree with Tomlcsc that a fan could help, but nothing you've written makes me optimistic that you'll solve this problem by staying put. Your health and day-to-day happiness are too important. I'd start looking for another place.
OP, maybe if you can't afford a higher-quality complex, you could find a rental in a private home.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,891 times
These are some great ideas and I will be trying these before I look into (gag) relocating. I do have a fan going but its tiny and I could get a better one, also I could try the smart phone/earplugs if the better fan won't work. At first I thought a fan wouldn't drown her out but if Tomlcsc's fan drowned out a fire station, I think I may have hope here.
As a last resort, a persuasive New Yorker telling her off for 100 dollars sounds like a good time.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang444 View Post
if Tomlcsc's fan drowned out a fire station, I think I may have hope here.
As a last resort, a persuasive New Yorker telling her off for 100 dollars sounds like a good time.
lol! That's a fan I'd have to hear to believe! I bet his neighbors hated it!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,651 times
Yep, I've used the in-ear earbuds + soothing noise app + smartphone alarm many times for noisy cat/husband/neighbors/construction. I swear, where I used to live, the garbage truck juggled the dumpsters before emptying them...

Lately I prefer foam earplugs and a vibrating alarm, as more comfortable and quieter for others. But I wake up pretty easily.

Regardless of any particular neighbor, it's a good idea to figure out how to sleep through noise if you live in an apartment.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
It never seems to fail in high density living. When you tell someone they are bothering you with noise, even in the nicest possible way, they will go out of their way to make even more noise. It's a weird thing people do but it happens all the time.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM

104 posts, read 190,527 times
I really feel for you being stuck in this situation. I am also courteous, like peace and quiet, and dislike confrontation so I can sympathize with the dread and stress you must feel. I recommend that you remove yourself from that toxic environment. When looking for places, try to avoid apartment buildings. Look for condos rented out by owners. Condo buildings tend to have much better sound proofing. Also focus on the number of shared walls, and try to find a unit with no one above you. Make the noise issue a top priority. These are some things I learned to do over the years to find a quiet, peaceful place.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 3,891 times
If it were me, I'd just lay a runner down the hall as that is pretty standard. At any rate, her dog's nails are probably ruining the *ahem* 'nice' new flooring.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,191,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang444 View Post
These are some great ideas and I will be trying these before I look into (gag) relocating. I do have a fan going but its tiny and I could get a better one, also I could try the smart phone/earplugs if the better fan won't work. At first I thought a fan wouldn't drown her out but if Tomlcsc's fan drowned out a fire station, I think I may have hope here.
It's the curse words, we have a flair with them in NY. One comedian once said NYers use curse words like punctuation. Where a NYer cursing can sound scary and threatening, I always thought the British sound funny when they curse, not scary or threatening at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships