Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a semi-career change and I thought I might pick up and move to a new city.

I currently live in the NYC metro area and have for many years. No wife, girlfriend, kids. Job is something that I can do anywhere though it might take some doing to find it elsewhere.

I have a few good solid friends here, and my family is here. They are very supportive and we get along. However, the rest of my social network is weak and crumbling. I've spent years making friends here, and by and large I feel most of them have been unreliable, have let our relationship disintegrate (no falling out or anything), or don't seem to care one way or the other.

So, I feel it wouldn't make too much of a difference to pick up and move somewhere else many miles away where I know nobody. The only thing is I fear I won't meet anybody. I am social and friendly, and a nice guy, and have many popular interests (beer, sports, music, arts, outdoors), but I lack what you could call charisma. I'm the guy everybody likes, but nobody is drawn to me.

And I'm in my mid 30s. Any opinions? Would it be too hard to meet people and establish a social network at my age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
I think you can start over anytime. You're young, no baggage, now is a good time.

Search out the areas you want to live in, see what the data is for singles, salaries, all the stuff.

Look at Yelp, or search out other forum for whatever place interests you.

I've seen people start over who were much older than you. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Denver, Atlanta, Miami, etc. There are some great markets out there with plenty of people to meet.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
However, the rest of my social network is weak and crumbling. I've spent years making friends here, and by and large I feel most of them have been unreliable, have let our relationship disintegrate (no falling out or anything), or don't seem to care one way or the other.
Sadly, this is why people need to do what's best for THEM. If YOU will be happier in an area other than NYC, go for it! I actually feel excited for you, being at a point in life where you can just pick up and start over! There are SO many fabulous places to live---near the mountains, near an ocean, on a lake, in a mid-sized town, whatever place has the things that appeal to you and where you can continue in your career. The internet makes it so easy to meet people--- meetup.com is great, as well websites for finding local live music, book clubs, classes, amateur sports teams---whatever your interests are.

Good luck! And keep us posted!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm considering a semi-career change and I thought I might pick up and move to a new city.

I currently live in the NYC metro area and have for many years. No wife, girlfriend, kids. Job is something that I can do anywhere though it might take some doing to find it elsewhere.

I have a few good solid friends here, and my family is here. They are very supportive and we get along. However, the rest of my social network is weak and crumbling. I've spent years making friends here, and by and large I feel most of them have been unreliable, have let our relationship disintegrate (no falling out or anything), or don't seem to care one way or the other.

So, I feel it wouldn't make too much of a difference to pick up and move somewhere else many miles away where I know nobody. The only thing is I fear I won't meet anybody. I am social and friendly, and a nice guy, and have many popular interests (beer, sports, music, arts, outdoors), but I lack what you could call charisma. I'm the guy everybody likes, but nobody is drawn to me.

And I'm in my mid 30s. Any opinions? Would it be too hard to meet people and establish a social network at my age?
You will make friends. If you live in the NY metro area, my guess is that you are in the suburbs, and the 'burbs were not built for the single. I am originally from Long Island and I have single friends who still live there and refuse to move, although their lives are clearly going no where.

I am married, and no longer live in the region and I have attempted to encourage them to move someplace - anyplace - and they say that they will look into it, but never do.

The "NY Metro area" is great for families. Good schools, child and family centered, and oriented towards family. I think it's got to be one of the worst places to live if you are single.

I'd say move! Give it a go! Who knows you could meet the love of your life!

The NY Metro area isn't going anywhere. You can always move back.

But right now, you are in a holding pattern - just treading water, and clearly you are not happy.

You deserve more out of life! Give it a try! And if you don't like the first place, try another.
Hey, you never know until you try!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
My niece, unmarried mid twenties was feeling much the same. She moved to Boynton Beach FL and LOVES it! She has a great apartment in a complex filled with singles in their 20s and 30s. They have activities, parties, cocktails after work, a state of the art gym - she made friends so quickly!

Many transplants from the North East and Mid West. Her complex is singles friendly - not family friendly. It's called Las Ventanas. You should check it out. Instant friendships!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships