Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,589,392 times

Advertisements

Yes, this person is definitley a Narcissist. About a quarter of the way through the book, "What Makes Narcissists Tick". Good read. Downloaded it here, if anybody is interested.
Living Abuse Free Support Network | Men's Bibliothèque | What Makes Narcissists Tick?

Sure, he has a good memory, but half of the things that come out are wrong. And yes, alcohol makes even worse. It's unbelievable how everything that comes out of his mouse in a way similar to, "I know these things, and you probably don't."

Basicially all he gets from me is, "yea", "uh-huh", basically to let him know that I'm not impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM

24,579 posts, read 17,321,260 times
I have a relative like this only it has to do with travel. If I didn't know it was the truth I would think she was lying. She has been around the world a couple times, to all 7 continents, and have lived in several foreign countries. Don't get her going on Paris.
What's funny is when I mention someplace she hasn't been she puts it on her list.
She is real but I have known others who go on and on and they have no idea what they are talking about but they sure sound like they do. I guess it is a matter of confidence. The tripe that spills out of these peoples mouths!!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,462,086 times
For many years, I have commented that when I bring up a subject that I know something about for discussion with my brother, he immediately takes over and next thing he is explaining it to me. He even phoned me one night with the news I need not say a word, that he wanted to talk. His reason for that... he didn't want me to question anything he said. I think he is more than dense.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM

314 posts, read 626,723 times
I have a meddlesome relative who is like that. He will diminish all of my ideas and research and then a few months later he will present them as his own and talk down to me as if I'm ignorant and dumb. He doesn't realize how incredibly stupid and deluded he looks when he does that routine. You'd think that by now childish dirty tricks wouldn't mean much but they do to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
For many years, I have commented that when I bring up a subject that I know something about for discussion with my brother, he immediately takes over and next thing he is explaining it to me. He even phoned me one night with the news I need not say a word, that he wanted to talk. His reason for that... he didn't want me to question anything he said. I think he is more than dense.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,167,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
I have a meddlesome relative who is like that. He will diminish all of my ideas and research and then a few months later he will present them as his own and talk down to me as if I'm ignorant and dumb. He doesn't realize how incredibly stupid and deluded he looks when he does that routine. You'd think that by now childish dirty tricks wouldn't mean much but they do to him.
Ugh. My husband's one sister is like this. She is the baby of the family so I think in a way she was raised to think everything she does or says is wonderful. When I first met my husband he told me all about baby sis and how awesome she was. The rest of family raved about her as well. So the first time I met her I was blown away that no one saw she was a complete flake. She is also pretty so that helps. Honestly, she is dumber than a box of rocks. She gets political and will rant and rave about this or that. She makes no sense or gets all her facts wrong. Most people just bow down to her because if you have a debate she gets more hostile and loud. I did enjoy hearing that she got into it with another relative on facebook who is extremely successful lawyer (he is used to debating). The more worked up she got, the calmer he got. I heard she ended up looking like a real ass because what started as a debate about politics turned into, her attacking him on a personal level. Her credibility was pretty shot at that point. My in-laws were pretty disappointed in her. FINALLY, they are starting to see that outside their little world, others dont think she is that awesome. Too bad Im not her friend on Facebook. I would have loved to see that dispute.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,141,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
I have noticed that tactic in people - You say something or find out some information they don't know then they will start talking back to you a while later almost quoting exactly what you said back to them.

I think the problem is with these know it all types - there generally just fairly average people who are always trying to present themselves as being smarter than they really are.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
Do you know anybody who can basically only talk about facts or statistics. Kind of like Sheldon, on Big Bang Theory (in case you know the show)

Example.

You mention that you drove to a tourist destination, and they try to tell you how many miles it is.

Say you had a certain cereal for breakfast, and they'll spout out the company that owns them and their stock price.

Go hiking in the mountains, and you'll hear them tell you the elevation.

Fly to Detroit, and soon you'll hear how long the flight was.

You get the idea. I mean, this is not a conversation. And a lot of the time it might be inaccurate. Talking to someone like this, is just draining. And when they initiate a conversation with a question, it's only to spout out more of this "impressiveness".

Okay, anybody else know a person like this. Please share.
Did you know that 65% of people who use the internet frequent message boards, 12% are men posing as women, 41% lie about their age and 7% can't make a move in real life without asking for advice?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

43 posts, read 92,327 times
Oh Yeah!
Unfortunately after 43 years I just recently figured out that my mother is a narcissist! I love her, but she can be unbelievably annoying sometimes. I Think it stems somewhat from growing up with a brother who just happen to be a genius, literally. Mom's very smart , but not as smart as her older brother and it still haunts her to this day. She's constantly trying to show how much she knows about any and everything. More to the point: that she knows more than whomever is at the other end of the conversation. It really gets nauseating when she's speaking to her brother, the man is a bio-physicist, published a millon papers and she acts like she knows as much as he does about his subjects and studies. It's very sad really because she's a very acomplished woman, but I guess it's just not enough to fill a very deep hole. She ticked me off so bad the other day that I came out and told her she was a narcissist. Now that was funny!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,185,266 times
One of the things I modeled for my son when he was growing up was saying, "I don't know. Let's see if we can find out." I think some people who are know-it-alls are narcissists, but I think some had parents who demanded they excel as children, so they have a great emotional stake in being right all the time - and letting everyone know it. It's actually a sign of great insecurity.

btw, I'm right. Don't argue with me.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,778,902 times
Though the commn theme of responses is already here, so try this: if there is some minute detail you know way more than to the know-it-all you are talking to, try to correct him or her if you get a chance. If that person does not like to be corrected on something factually wrong, then you may be talking to someone with an inflated ego or worse yet, narcissist.

Otherwise, avoid holding a conversation with such people, they are a waste of your time, IMHO. People like the TV character "Sheldon" want to be always right.

I am someone who hates a debate or argument; doesn't matter the topic. I avoid all of this and still come across such people like this of any age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships