Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 26,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think the non-romantic relationship section is the perfect forum. The question wasn't so much about the details of moving as it was about the family relationships.
That's true. I thought of it as a moving issue but yes it is about relationships, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM

The company came through and made me a good offer including moving expenses. After some back and forth I agreed to it and we have been telling family we're moving back. They have been very supportive of it as it is a good move for our immediate family. I have been more than happy with the responses so far but It still feels crappy that my son won't see his grandparents often. We're making visits (them and us) and Skype calls a priority though.
Telling more people tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capam View Post
The company came through and made me a good offer including moving expenses. After some back and forth I agreed to it and we have been telling family we're moving back. They have been very supportive of it as it is a good move for our immediate family. I have been more than happy with the responses so far but It still feels crappy that my son won't see his grandparents often. We're making visits (them and us) and Skype calls a priority though.
Telling more people tomorrow.
Congrats. I have been keeping an eye on this thread wondering what decision you will make. My situation was a bit different. We didnt move away and come back, we simply stayed too long. We would probably be further in our careers if we had left sooner. I miss family and sometimes it can get to me but there are too many pros right now vs living where I grew up.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Congrats on the new job. It may feel hard to leave, but it's the right thing to do to support your family. You can always visit and call and Skype.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Family is family but you can't let them run your life. Do what's best for YOU. I retired and moved to another state to be close to my family. I've been miserable ever since, and plan to move away. The drama, chaos, insanity...visiting once a year is one thing, being in the same town, well that's something else again. Good luck to you.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM

We have moved back. Settling in before starting work.
While I know this made sense logically I feel like absolute crap. All sort of "what if" scenarios running through my mind trying to figure out how I could have made it work out east. It's only the second day back but I already miss everyone terribly and feel like I failed at making my wish a reality, of having my son grow up close to his grandparents, aunts, uncles and little cousins.
I try to remember the times when I went through the numbers and started to realize I had to take this job, but right now I can't get past the sadness, guilt and dissapointment. Thinking of how happy my family was when we arrived back in the fall and all the plans they had of showing us around, summer BBQs, etc. that now won't happen.
I felt like a fool when we moved there (after the initial glow had faded) and now feel like a failure for having moved back. Maybe once work starts and the money starts coming in that will help me see why I had to do this.
Thank you all for the advice and words of encouragement.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,029 times
I just came across this thread, but I think you made the right decision. You are still young it seems like. Keep looking for opportunities out East. Build a network and keep an eye on job openings. Maybe a perfect opportunity will come down the line in a few years and you will move back. In the meantime make talking and visiting a priority. I bet when you get into the swing of things you'll feel much better.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Well it has been 6 months since we made the move and I have to say it was a good career move. I like working at the new company and we as a family are doing well. I think there are still hard or hurt feelings on our end and the family end, although most have supported us through it. This is a nice area to live in and we'll have a good future here.
The busyness of it all usually keeps me from thinking too much about things, but when I allow myself to I feel sad about the whole thing. How it all played out.
I am having less and less of the "what if" thoughts, which I take to mean I'm letting go of the whole traumatizing experience.
I know it might sound overly dramatic to some but in our lives it was one of the toughest experiences as a family, and we're still reeling from it.
Anyway, all is good, just wanted to check in and say thanks to all the chimed in.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,486 times
I had a glorious chance right out of college to move from Eastern PA down to Tampa, FL to work with the Tampa Bay Rays back in 2008 and I turned it down... and for a long time I regretted it. I went through a few tough years staying here and working a crappy job for a while before finally landing my career job. I am now married with a 6-month old daughter so things ended up working out but.... I always wondered "WHAT IF"...

Funny thing is... my wife and I before we got married a few years ago took a look at the Tampa area again to possibly move... we werent married.. didn't have a kid yet... but we passed. I guess it was just meant to be for us to stay where we are now!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 554 times
Hope things continue to work out for you. I am in a similar situation and it helped to read your story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships