Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,527,801 times

Advertisements

OP, why on earth do you go to your sister's house for Christmas if she treats you that way? That would happen 1 yr. with me and then that would be my last year going over. I would tell her that you would rather she not buy anything for your family if she cannot stop this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
OP, why on earth do you go to your sister's house for Christmas if she treats you that way? That would happen 1 yr. with me and then that would be my last year going over. I would tell her that you would rather she not buy anything for your family if she cannot stop this crap.
We all meet at my parents house. I don't usually go to my sister's house because she has a dog that doesn't get along with my youngest daughter.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,325,968 times
Your sister obviously doesn't like you, so I would not be around her at all. Don't give her the chance to hurt you anymore. If people in your family don't understand or protest when you don't show up, ignore it. Christmas should be a happy time, not a time full of stress. Just stay away next year.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,793,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
You should have a really CRUEL gift to embarrass her in the back of your trunk as a "just in case" gift.

Let your mind wander
I'm thinking a trip to Costco for another big pack of douches.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,793,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you can't get up the courage to confront...calmly....her about all this and tell her it's the end of it, don't even open her presents. Throw them away unwrapped.
At the very least , tell her that is what you will do with any presents she gives from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's also good -- just ignore the presents and don't open them. That would take all of the fun out of it for her. She can't make you open them, and when it's time to go, leave the presents from her sitting there and let her decide what to do with them.
My favorite idea so far is avoiding her altogether (the used underwear and girdle cannot be explained as anything but gross and aggressive, not a "joke" or a "misunderstanding") and going somewhere else for the holidays, but this one is good if you cannot manage to avoid a gift exchange. However, given the past scenes you've described, I don't think she'll take it well so be prepared to be the bad guy who upsets Christmas again.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM

50,543 posts, read 47,341,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My favorite idea so far is avoiding her altogether (the used underwear and girdle cannot be explained as anything but gross and aggressive, not a "joke" or a "misunderstanding") and going somewhere else for the holidays, but this one is good if you cannot manage to avoid a gift exchange. However, given the past scenes you've described, I don't think she'll take it well so be prepared to be the bad guy who upsets Christmas again.
Even better, take it, re-wrap it in a bigger box and give it back next Xmas

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,838,425 times
I'm wondering what kind of relationship you have with her and have had growing up with her? We are seeing only one small side to her personality. Is she a good person in your eyes? Is she just clueless? Classless? Communication may be the key here. If she's an awful person then by all means walk away. Or how about starting a new Christmas tradition. Everyone brings 20 dollars and places it on the table. Everyone writes on a piece of paper what charity the money goes to. Have one of the kids pick the charity out of the hat and donate the money. The kids learn a valuable lesson about what Christmas should really be about, it eliminates your sisters ugly side, and nobody leaves disappointed. (Maybe leave out the alcohol too, it was the demise of us ever spending another holiday with the monster-in-laws.)

Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
Hedgehog Mom - you are dealing with a very sick passive-hostile bully. There's no two ways about it. She may have borderline personality disorder, or she may just be filled with self-hatred. I have one of those in my life, and I had a run in with a psycho-southern-belle at one point that was very similar to the family member's behavior.

You are definitely walking a fine line here. If you get too agitated at her behavior, it only feeds the behavior. She is getting the adrenaline kick she seeks by watching you seethe. These gifts aren't "poor choices," they are "strategic choices." This is her MO. I would bet that this behavior didn't start with getting you and your husband kicked out of the house. She probably antagonized you as a child to get you to hit her, and then when you did, you are the one who got into trouble.

There is a solution, and it does start with you. First, see a therapist. If you can, find one who does something called 'Neuro-Emotional-Technique." That's a method for disconnecting past emotions so you can deal with issues in the present. You can also meet with a therapist to work through and discover all the early beginnings of this behavior towards you.

Your goal needs to be
~A. To not react at all to her bad gifts and behavior
~B. To wait a few beats before simply saying, "Sis, you know that these are inappropriate gifts. This is not in the spirit of our gathering. Here. You can do with them what you will. We won't be accepting these or your unkind behavior from here on out. If you choose to behave like a professional adult, that's fine. Otherwise, leave us off your list."

Then you walk away. No histrionics. No trying to get others in the family to see what you see. No "juice" for her to grab onto and then make a scene. Calm. Composed.

If she pushes, and if you've done your homework as I suggested, you might try what I finally did after being able to speak in a detached way about her bullying behavior, I responded to her snarky comments by saying, "I love you, and I'm not sure why you are acting so unkindly to others. I do hope you seek counseling. It would be best for all concerned."

Because her attacks on me were very public, and because the entire family saw me respond in an adult and calm fashion - EVERYTHING she did after that was suspect and under the microscope. People were saying to her, "Yeah! Why ARE you so mean? She has only been loving to you! What's up with that?"

Believe me - it took many NET sessions and much prayer to get to the place where I could take a deep breath and speak my truth from my heart. It turned the tide. And, even though it didn't "fix" her, it shortened her visits to our home and she kept her distance from me. Bullies don't like people who don't react.

One last thing - watch ALL bullies. There's something weird I realized when I watched the Hobbit movies. They are like golems who feed on anger, hate and fear. If there is none of that around, they will drum some up so they can eat. When you don't respond with anger, fear, frustration or hate, they will go somewhere else to find their "food." Yes - this becomes someone else's problem. But perhaps they serve a purpose in the world: Think of bullies as teachers who help you learn how to channel and use your emotions rather than having them run your life.

And thank you for sharing your story. You are not alone. We have all run into these people. They are not well. Don't make yourself a mental case trying to figure them out. The world really does have people who do not think like you: they are not rational, don't have "your best interests at heart," and don't really care if their actions create a problem for you. This is why we have laws, police, therapists, prisons, and we (in most states) have the right to defend ourselves and protect our loved ones. Remember, Charlie Manson had brothers and sisters. So did Jeffrey Dahmer. So did many of the wackadoodles out there. Imagine THEIR early Christmas parties!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM

524 posts, read 845,776 times
she sounds horrible

Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,824,137 times
I think what she did was mean spirited and she either thought she was being funny, or has some serious resentment against you. Either way, it is unacceptable. I would be very clear and if a shouting match was what it took then so be it. Then, I would either tell her no more gifts or ignore and refuse to open any gifts she provides. I think I would do the former hoping she brought gifts next time - and you would still get the pleasure of ignoring - or better yet trashing them unopened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships