Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,416,377 times

Advertisements

Well, my sister and I, we have our ups and our downs. She just called me because I sent her a text and she was driving. My sister-in-law is planning a surprise 50th bday party for my brother and the invites have gone out over fb, and my sister isn't on it, so I gave her a text, just in case.

She called me and was asking about it, etc and told me the pictures I sent her yesterday made her cry. =( Yesterday I was in the town my parents are buried and I took a visit to each of their graves. I only make it out there 2-3 times a year these days, and I don't think any of my brothers or sisters ever go.

I still lived there when they passed, but I was the only one. I guess I moved away from the area about 4 years ago.

I put some colorful mums in front of each of their graves and took pics and sent them to her, so she would know I had been there and how everything was looking. She replied to me from the pics yesterday...I miss them so much.

Having your parents gone is never a happy thing. I texted her back that I did as well, and tried to turn it around. Mom got the yellow ones because she liked fall colors, and dad got the purple one because he liked those colors in his garden.

When we talked today I suppose we were both complaining to one another about my brother, blah blah blah. She had me on speaker because she was driving and I had her on speaker as well. She was almost screaming and she said, "Oh my God! I look just like Mom!!!" I said, "Oh my God!!! You're so old!!!"

We both just started laughing.. It felt good. I guess my mom wasn't that old when she passed, just 65. My sister is 52 now. I can mess with her because I am 38. She will always be the oldest.

It's been 12 years since we lost our mother and over 17 years since my dad passed. It feels good to be able to joke around with her and laugh. Sounds like we all may be separate this year for Thanksgiving, and I am not looking forward to that at all.

With my sister and I, you never know what it's gonna be...up or down.

Does anyone else here have that kind of relationship with your sibling(s)? Me and my one brother are straight across the board. Up and down with my sister. Don't talk to another sister and another brother. That is more than bothersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times
I don't have siblings. I have cousins to whom I was very close, until I wasn't. I only communicate with two out of the 5 now. But with those two... It's a steady relationship. No surprises. No strife. We are very careful with each other, I guess you could say. We don't communicate a lot, but I've never doubted their love for a moment. Those relationships are just a very peaceful part of my life. Getting together with them is always an unequivocally happy occasion.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
I used to have a laugh with my sister just about every week. We were on the phone sometimes 2 hours at a time, laughing, venting, commiserating. I lost my sister this past July 12th to a car wreck. I want you to know, no matter what....enjoy those phone calls now, because you never know when you are having your last one. I was so very thankful that I had just visited w/ my sister about 4 days before she was killed...I will always have that comfort. Please try to resolve things w/ your other siblings, life is too precious and too soon gone.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
I just went to see my brother and his family for his 50th birthday. I used the number candles "5 0" on the cake. After he blew them out my nephew threw them out and he saw them sitting there on top of the trash and fished them out, saying, "Hey, wait, it's that beoshes birthday soon enough, we can use these again. We all laughed.

Some of you may have read these stories before:

We both worked in the same industry for different employers - so we were in competition with each other in business. We'd find ways to screw with each other because of it. He can do voices extremely well and used to call my office and leave messages from every ethnicity you can think of posing as one of my customers and complaining about a truck ripping his wires down out in front of his store and other nonsense. One I had to listen to 5 or 6 times because the guy he was immitating, before I realized it was him. I put all his messages on a cassette tape and when we listen to it, like on Christmas or something, the whole family just cracks up.

Retaliation came in the form some pre-printed envelopes. My mother worked for him and got the mail and went through it first for his business. Someone gave me these preprinted envelopes that said, "Your Herpes Test Results Enclosed." I sent it to him knowing my mother would see it first.

I lived above a store on a main street at one time and was on the phone and heard a car door slam, so I looked out the window and he was on the sidewalk just cracking up, said nothing and got in his car and drove off. He had found this HUGE plastic lawn ornament goose and put it in the driver's side of my car. Just when you're about to forget about it, I snuck over to his apartment one night and shoved his nose against the glass patio door. When he opened the blinds in the morning it scared the hell out of him....again it disappears for a while and I found it on the antenae of my car in a mall parking lot where I used to work. It then disappears for 6 months and makes it's new debute as a hood ornament for his truck. He backed the truck in the spot so when he left and was driving he had no idea this goose was bungie corded to the front of his vehicle with red Christmas garland on it too.

I have tons of stories of stuff we did and laughed about. Recently, I showed my nephew, his son, a picture of him taken one Christmas with two green olives stuffed up his nose and he was almost turning blue from laughing so hard.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,416,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I just went to see my brother and his family for his 50th birthday. I used the number candles "5 0" on the cake. After he blew them out my nephew threw them out and he saw them sitting there on top of the trash and fished them out, saying, "Hey, wait, it's that beoshes birthday soon enough, we can use these again. We all laughed.

Some of you may have read these stories before:

We both worked in the same industry for different employers - so we were in competition with each other in business. We'd find ways to screw with each other because of it. He can do voices extremely well and used to call my office and leave messages from every ethnicity you can think of posing as one of my customers and complaining about a truck ripping his wires down out in front of his store and other nonsense. One I had to listen to 5 or 6 times because the guy he was immitating, before I realized it was him. I put all his messages on a cassette tape and when we listen to it, like on Christmas or something, the whole family just cracks up.

Retaliation came in the form some pre-printed envelopes. My mother worked for him and got the mail and went through it first for his business. Someone gave me these preprinted envelopes that said, "Your Herpes Test Results Enclosed." I sent it to him knowing my mother would see it first.

I lived above a store on a main street at one time and was on the phone and heard a car door slam, so I looked out the window and he was on the sidewalk just cracking up, said nothing and got in his car and drove off. He had found this HUGE plastic lawn ornament goose and put it in the driver's side of my car. Just when you're about to forget about it, I snuck over to his apartment one night and shoved his nose against the glass patio door. When he opened the blinds in the morning it scared the hell out of him....again it disappears for a while and I found it on the antenae of my car in a mall parking lot where I used to work. It then disappears for 6 months and makes it's new debute as a hood ornament for his truck. He backed the truck in the spot so when he left and was driving he had no idea this goose was bungie corded to the front of his vehicle with red Christmas garland on it too.

I have tons of stories of stuff we did and laughed about. Recently, I showed my nephew, his son, a picture of him taken one Christmas with two green olives stuffed up his nose and he was almost turning blue from laughing so hard.
Such a funny and nice story!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM

867 posts, read 1,591,116 times
I just started a thread about this issue. I have ups and downs with my sister as well. She is older than me too but she looks younger b/c of having her face "done". She really does look great I must say.

But I know how you feel with never knowing about the ups and downs. I wish everything could be rosey but it's not. I don't get it.

But I'm with you, sometimes we are fine and other times we don't speak.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM

867 posts, read 1,591,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I used to have a laugh with my sister just about every week. We were on the phone sometimes 2 hours at a time, laughing, venting, commiserating. I lost my sister this past July 12th to a car wreck. I want you to know, no matter what....enjoy those phone calls now, because you never know when you are having your last one. I was so very thankful that I had just visited w/ my sister about 4 days before she was killed...I will always have that comfort. Please try to resolve things w/ your other siblings, life is too precious and too soon gone.

Jan, your post is very touching. We really don't know how long we are going to be on this earht. Tomorrow is not garanteed for any of us. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,144,552 times
I have two sisters and speak to both at least once a week. I am closer to one more than the other,but we get along really well. The other two have their hangups, that I don't get involved in.

My younger sister & I, crack each other up, can talk for hours on end, scheme and play tricks on the others....we help each other, listen, let the other vent, laugh, cry and everything else in between.

I'm very lucky that I have two amazing sisters and two fantastic brothers who I get along with.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM

676 posts, read 1,263,460 times
And sometimes, we try to resolve things with living siblings and they make the choice not to. And we just have to accept it and go on with our lives. My brother and I fought as kids, but got close in our 20s/30s. We had a few arguments as adults but were always able to apologize to each other and work things out. Then my brother got involved with his now wife and she apparently believes every lie my bat poo crazy mother tells her about me. She lost her mother young and I think she looks up to my mother as a mother figure. My mother can be very charming and sweet to people she likes and wants to impress. They cut me off and I've never met my niece who's 2. Estrangement has been over 3 years.

I've made several gestures to reach out to bro & SIL and I apologized for my angry reaction when SIL believed the bat poo crazy lies about me. That's all I can do. Anything more would be invasive of their privacy and wishes. When my niece is an adult, I do plan to reach out to her and see if she wants a relationship. I'll leave it up to her.

Last edited by exscapegoat; 10-08-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I just started a thread about this issue. I have ups and downs with my sister as well. She is older than me too but she looks younger b/c of having her face "done". She really does look great I must say.

But I know how you feel with never knowing about the ups and downs. I wish everything could be rosey but it's not. I don't get it.

But I'm with you, sometimes we are fine and other times we don't speak.
I went on vacation to see the brother I mention, in the post above, and his family and stayed for a week. My mother was telling me to stay longer because I really need a decent break. My response was, "JB and I get along okay...but only in small doses."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships